• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best type of Keen shoes

Wasp

Hey guys,

I was tired of running through disc golf shoes so quickly so after talking to a couple guys I bought some Keen Marshals last year. They were the worst shoes I've ever owned. They developed a hole in the side of the shoe and strips of the sole broke off after 3 months of use. I only wore them about 4 times a week. Absolutely terrible shoes durability wise. Anyways, Keen gave me a voucher to get a new pair of shoes. I was looking at the Saltzman but they appear to be the same as the Marshal. I'd like to get at least 2 disc golf seasons in with these (I only play extensively for about 7 months out of the year). What type of keen shoe is the most durable?

Does Keen still make dg specific shoes? If so, I'd go that route.

I've had similar luck with Keen hikers on the course. I usually wear them for hiking for a bit then they get relegated to dg duties. DG is extremely tough on all shoes, but Keens have always seemed to deteriorate faster than other brands that use Vibram soles (Teva, Merrell, etc.). Keens are as comfortable as any hikers I've worn but seem to wear down faster.

Wow! I have nothing but good things to say about Keen waterproof shoes for disc golf. I have a pair of Saltzman shoes that I am entering my third year of disc golf with. I live in Iowa and am retired and I play daily every day that weather permits. I will absolutely be buying Keen again when it is time to replace my Saltzman shoes.

Does Keen still make dg specific shoes? If so, I'd go that route.

I've had similar luck with Keen hikers on the course. I usually wear them for hiking for a bit then they get relegated to dg duties. DG is extremely tough on all shoes, but Keens have always seemed to deteriorate faster than other brands that use Vibram soles (Teva, Merrell, etc.). Keens are as comfortable as any hikers I've worn but seem to wear down faster.

I believe they were called the de la veagas. Which ultimately was the marshalls. But, I could be completely wrong?

Anyway. Had Marshall wp's, were Ronald McDonald wide and like you mentioned the sole wore out extremely quick. Really not impressed. Teva and Merrells are good too.

Keen did a run of the Nasu WP for the Japan Open and they were absolutely phenomenal! Solid waterproofing, good durability, comfortable, and they even had little disc golf basket logos on them. Unfortunately, they only did them for the J.O. a few years back.

In today's market, I would really recommend the Koven WP. Good tread, reliable Keen Waterproofing, comfy, and the pair of Kovens I owned lasted about a year and a half as daily work shoes. I typically go through work shoes in 8-9 months, so I consider this solid durability.

My 2¢.

I have a pair of WP Saltzman. I use them for putting practice, field work (2-3 times a week), for casual rounds (2-5 rounds a week) & for tourneys. They're holding up great so far. I'm don't drag my toes when I throw throw. I also pivot off the ball of my foot/heel. I've noticed people who pivot on their toes usually wear through shoes faster. I actual destroyed a pair of Nike running shoes last summer. They tore on the side were the fabric connects to the sole. I still get some wear & tear on the toe cap. It just isn't anywhere near as much abuse as what I put on the sides of my shoes. I know Keen makes a pair of shoes just for disc golf. They're called Nasu. I would have gotten them but I could only find them in lime green in my size. I don't really care to have lime green shoes. They don't match well with my disc golf shirts.

1015340_P_PDP.jpg
Picked these up at the going out of business sale of MC Sports. They looked very different from any other Keens I had seen. So I was hesitant to purchase, but figured for the price, I couldn't pass them up. They are the most comfortable Keens I have ever worn. They go by the name Aphlex.

My Keen Targhees have been quite durable.

My Keen Targhees have been quite durable.

I can back that up with my own experience with 2 pairs of Targhee mids. The only pair of boots that could handle my FH toe drag. Never once did either pair show signs of wear on the right toe. Waterproofing on both were always solid too. My only issue with them were they are made really wide.

I can back that up with my own experience with 2 pairs of Targhee mids. The only pair of boots that could handle my FH toe drag. Never once did either pair show signs of wear on the right toe. Waterproofing on both were always solid too. My only issue with them were they are made really wide.
He's spot on about their waterproofing and width. I have to get Merrells in extra wide, but most Keens are wide enough to accommodate those who normally need some extra width.

Keens are as comfortable as any hikers I've worn but seem to wear down faster.

This is exactly my experience. I have a pair of WP Marshalls that are extremely comfortable, but the heels have worn out very quickly. The toes have held up really well, and the waterproofing is good (or at least it was before the heels were compromised), but I will definitely think twice before buying another pair of Keens for disc golf.

Probably because I am a sidearmer, I don't put as much wear & tear on shoes as a backhander.
But, having said that, my Merrells I had did not hold up very well. The seam of the sole to the top of the shoe gave way too easily & negated the waterproofing. My Keens have done the same, just not as soon as 6 months.

Latest posts