• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best Wraith Plastic?

hdevries

I have a DX Wraith that I bought a while back, but now that it's worn in, it seems to always turnover on me. My guess is that my release velocity has improved some, but I think the turnover is primarily due to the wear in the plastic.

I really enjoyed it while it was new, so I think it's time to buy a new one. I want a Wraith that throws like a brand new DX Wraith and maintains, more or less, the same flight path as I wear it in.

I have a champion Wraith that I found a couple months ago, but it is a bit too overstable for my liking. It seems to be completely different than my DX Wraith ever was.

Is star plastic a good choice? Is the stability similar to a new DX Wraith?

I've thought about just bumping up to a Destroyer, but I'm not sure my arm is ready for that yet.

A Pro is really nice and has that good glide, but it won't last all that much longer.

Star will take some throws to beat in but will stay in that nice spot the longest.

Star is my favorite for Wraiths, but noticeably more overstable. Pro or G Star are good options if you want to stay closer to the stability of DX. They will start out more OS than DX but beat in reasonably quickly and maintain the stability for a good amount of time.

I have a 172 star wraith that is wicked overstable. This is the only star wraith I've ever owned & thrown, so I can't say if this is the case for every star wraith. Definitely flies way more overstable than a new dx. Maybe a pro or g* fly similar to a dx? I'm curious to know the answer to this myself.

Star plastic probably won't be much different than Champ. I'd go with Pro plastic. It may be a bit overstable at first but should beat into the fresh DX stability that you are looking for.

A lighter GStar Wraith could be what you're looking for here. Star Wraiths a very stable and stay that way for a long while. You could have a lot of fun with a Blizzard Wraith in the 158-160g range. It's easy to find one online in that weight range. Stable bombers.

My experience with a Pro Wraith was that they flew OS in the beginning but one good smack into a tree and they will change quickly. I find it very annoying to keep up with seasoning discs.

I would not jump to a Destroyer. They are obviously faster but also more high/low speed stable. If you can't handle an OS Wraith than a Destroyer is going to be just as difficult.

Last edited:
I have a 172 star wraith that is wicked overstable. This is the only star wraith I've ever owned & thrown, so I can't say if this is the case for every star wraith. Definitely flies way more overstable than a new dx. Maybe a pro or g* fly similar to a dx? I'm curious to know the answer to this myself.

How far are you throwing it? (the question applies to the OP as well)
I've had 4 star wraiths, and none of them have been 'wicked' overstable. They will act OS if they aren't being thrown by somebody who can reach at least the 325-350 foot barrier.

I have a 171 star that is utility disc overstable like that. The other six or seven I have are normal.

Is star plastic a good choice? Is the stability similar to a new DX Wraith?

I've thought about just bumping up to a Destroyer, but I'm not sure my arm is ready for that yet.

As to moving up to a Destroyer, I would ask which disc (Wraith or Destroyer) feels more comfortable in your hand. If you're not comfortable with the Destroyer's wider rim (as I am not), then sticking to the Wraith is fine.

My vote would be for the Star Wraith. You didn't say what weight your DX Wraith was. I'd recommend a few grams lighter on the Star Wraith, which will last a long time, wear in slowly and likely be what you're looking for. Maybe even get two and rotate them.

A Pro Wraith is going to wear pretty quickly, as well.

I want a Wraith that throws like a brand new DX Wraith and maintains, more or less, the same flight path as I wear it in.
Have you tried a Krait or Archon in Champ or Star?

Maybe even a Flow or Surge SS.

Last edited:
I bag Wraiths. Champ and star take forever to beat it and contrary to what has been posted here I have a red Pro Wraith that is super overstable and has been that way for a year now. Blizzard Wraiths are pretty good but I recommend you get a domey one. They have more glide and have that predicable Wraith fade at the end. Flat ones have less glide and seem to fade out earlier.

I've had 4 star wraiths, and none of them have been 'wicked' overstable. They will act OS if they aren't being thrown by somebody who can reach at least the 325-350 foot barrier.
I can get my wraiths out to about 300-320ft. I do realize that my noodle arm throwing high speed discs makes them fly more overstable than they're supposed to.

go with the pro wraith. great glide like the DX, and it's stability is most resemblant of it's intended flight numbers. AND, it won't season as quickly as people claim it will.

I am still a bit shy of that. I'm sure I've thrown that far before, but not consistently. I was able to throw just over 300' consistently, before my DX Wraith became too understable.

You'd be better off with Star if you were 350-400. Get the Pro. And actually you'd be better off with a Valk or SW.

Latest posts