• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BEWARE of HOLE 8

The basket that's numbered #9 out by the pond is actually going to be #18 and the plan is to use the current back nine for the back nine for the new course and the old front nine will become a stand alone 9 holer.
What you said is confusing. It would be somewhat plausible to make a course from New 1-9 & Current 10-18. But this would keep the basket by the pond as 9 not 18. A drawback would be the really long walk from basket 9 by the pond to tee 10 by the tennis court. But worst of all, if you parked in the lot by the New 1 tee there would be a honkin long walk from basket 18 back to your car. But if you park by the basket ball court then you have a very long walk just to get to New tee 1. That won't be popular either.

I can't see making Current 10-18 the new front nine because the walk from the last hole (Current 18) to New tee 1 would be outrageous. I parked by New tee 1 and I finished on Current 18 and made that walk; it was no fun. (maybe 1300-1500 ft?)

Your supposed to play 1-8 of the new holes then 10-18 of the old course then #9 of the new course. The baskets would be numbered accordingly.
What did you think of your tee shot on new #2. As long as we are talking about the new course.

Are you sure you want to hear about my experience on 2-4? It won't be flattering. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but these holes are not currently ready for prime time. I have already written out my impressions, but I don't want to denigrate an unfinished course or make anybody mad at me.

But if you, and perhaps others, will benefit I will share my thoughts in a different thread.

I know Russell Schwarz and I have been planning to email him about the current course conditions.

Your supposed to play 1-8 of the new holes then 10-18 of the old course then #9 of the new course. The baskets would be numbered accordingly.
OK, I see. That flow would work best. The distance between New basket 9 by the pond back to New tee 1 is the shortest, even if it is still a bit of a walk.

i aced hole 8 at flip city once.

The course levels are quite different on New 1-9 and Current 10-18. The new arrangement won't be suitable to any one level and thus frustrating to all. Current 10-18 are Reddish White level (pink?), and New 1-9 are Blueish Gold. (But even that is a mix: 3-4 & 8, are Blueish and maybe long enough for Gold, while 5-7 are White/ very short Blue level. Not sure how to classify 1-2.)

Is there already a thread somewhere about Northeast Park in Gibsonville?

Does anybody ever call it "Crooked Creek"? That's the name on the Park's score cards.

DISClaimer: This hole is still unfinished, so hopefully there will still be some changes made when the hole is done. The following narrative only recounts one experience on one particular day in May 2014.

Can any of you NC players guess what course it is?

-----------
From basket 7, since there were no directional aids and several possible directions, I couldn't tell if hole 8 was in the woods or out in the open. I went out of the woods and found an unmarked tee pad but basket 8 was nowhere to be found. There was basket 9, though, on the edge of the pond, so I thought maybe this was the tee for 9 with 8 back in the woods. So I went back into the woods again, but I could find no signs of hole 8, so I headed back out into the open field near the pond. The tee was in an open field with the woods on the right side and the pond on the left side. The tee could be for the 9 basket but it didn't really point to the basket. This is hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but I will try. Going straight from the tee there is an uphill open grass field for about 220 ft then there is about 80 ft of thick weedy undergrowth several feet high. This undergrowth is also about 120 ft wide so you can't get around it to one side. This made no sense as a landing zone to drive into. As mentioned, from the tee you can see basket 9, but it is off to the left, by the pond. Since I couldn't find a basket 8 I thought that maybe there was no hole 8 yet, so I just played from this unnumbered tee to basket 9.
But when I got closer to the basket, about 300 ft from the tee, I found a winding walking trail cut through the very thick woods and another undefined cleared area to the right of this but separated by thick trees. The only purpose I could think of for this parallel cleared corridor was a fairway, but it came to an end and there was no basket there either. Oh, I also saw another black snake. After still more scouting I eventually found basket 8. I discovered that the hole is about 700 feet long, but you can't even see the basket until the final 100 feet or so! So then I walked all the way back to the tee, measuring the length by pacing it, and I started over playing hole 8.
To get as far as possible down the fairway I deliberately threw my drive right into the deep schule, about 260'. Thankfully the disc wasn't lost in thick weeds, but it could easily have been. The schule is so wide that unless you can throw an uphill shot of at least 300 ft (~350 ft equivalent length) you will land in the thick weeds. Farther past the dense weeds then you can see a gap to the corridor cut out of the woods. The gap into the fairway is rather narrow so a drive has to hit a rather small landing zone to be able to get into it. I was too far to the right, so I could only throw a short ~90 ft shot just to try and hit the start of thegap, which I missed. I dinked another little shot just to get in the fairway. Once you get in the corridor you must stay in the fairway because the rough is so thick that you can only toss back out to the fairway. I didn't keep every shot in the fairway, so I slowly worked my way forward until this corridor came to an end, and still the basket was not visible. It's hard to explain, but this corridor ends and then then there is a foliage obstructed area where the end of the fairway intersects the walking path. There is not a clear lane here so you have to loop an S shot out to the left with a left to right curve around the blocked area, but make it hyzer left back onto the fairway. Then you finally hit the last 100 feet of the hole, and at last you can see the basket! If you have gotten this far you are over 600 feet from the tee (which was lost to sight long ago). Getting to this point was a battle, but this a beautiful way to finish. The right side has a very deep drop off down a steep slope to a creek, so that creates high risk vs. reward. Then near the basket there are some very scenic white boulders. The first 600 feet still need serious work, but the finish helps ameliorate the stress of getting there.

This is great, I would love to see it in a flowchart if you have access to Visio, lol. I still think #8 on the WR Jackson is my favorite #8 I have played.

The course levels are quite different on New 1-9 and Current 10-18. The new arrangement won't be suitable to any one level and thus frustrating to all. Current 10-18 are Reddish White level (pink?), and New 1-9 are Blueish Gold. (But even that is a mix: 3-4 & 8, are Blueish and maybe long enough for Gold, while 5-7 are White/ very short Blue level. Not sure how to classify 1-2.)

Yeah I asked Russel if he thought there needed to be some tweeking to bring old 10-18 up to the level as the new holes and he said no. :\
I have an Idea of what could be done but again it's not my project so I'm not going to interfere unless asked to by Russell.

Oh and no there isn't a tread yet for NE yet I don't think.

The hole on #8. My favorite thread of all time. If you do go into the hole par becomes irrelevant.

Hole 8 at Castle Hayne come to mind.
Even MJ took a circle 7 (7p to all you left-coasters) on that one during last year's Azalea Open.

There's a hole developing (again) on #8 at Flaherty. Definitely an ankle breaker if you aren't watching where you are walking. Does that count?

Really!?!

Hole #8 on the new course at NE Park is pretty brutal. I get that they have only done the first cut but we all know finished the first courses ended up.
#8 is a open shot to a landing zone bordered by tall thick weeds. If you landed in the tiny spot where you can look at your second shot its a longish 250 narrow straight tunnel shot that finishes left kinda. Then you still have another 150" to the basket with a steep long drop off on the right.
It really has to be seen to believed. It might just be worse than #8 at Springwood.

Wow! Something's potentially worse than #8 at Springwood, Drew? Or anything at Springwood? Cool! Didn't think that that was possible, from your POV. But, of course, you can fix it!

Hole 8 Robbins Park Cornelius NC
Beware the hole on hole 8 in the bridge in the fairway, it will collapse.

10547975_10154356251840577_2237990583607963363_o.jpg

"NO Augustus! Don't drink from the Chocolate River!"

SPLASH!

"Don't just stand there, do something!"

Help. Police, Murder.

Hole 8 at Eagle Island here in Boise is rough. Right around 450', dog leg right and it dog legs around a pond. A nice big ani flex shot over the water can make for great placement. BUT if you get a little too much turn, that disc is basically a goner. The water is 10-20' deep just a few feet off of the shore. I've lost a good buch of plastic in that water.