• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BG AMS!!! April 12, 13, 14

No other sport forces the best amateurs to go pro, and I don't see how it helps us to force those top ams into a division they don't want to play in. That just ensures that we'll lose more competitive players, and those renewal rates for PDGA memberships people are often worried about would almost certainly go further down.

The Terns are ready to ship

All max weight . . . will not be released untill late Feb other than BG AMs.

pm me for yours $20 plus $3 shipping

Includes Innova CFR certificate for drawings!

Attachments

• BG CFR 001.jpg
    BG CFR 001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
No other sport forces the best amateurs to go pro, and I don't see how it helps us to force those top ams into a division they don't want to play in. That just ensures that we'll lose more competitive players, and those renewal rates for PDGA memberships people are often worried about would almost certainly go further down.

just my opinion

but in other sports the players actually want to go pro. not piddle around in the amateur ranks. if you ask any amateur golfer what he wants to do I bet none will sound like 1978, saying they enjoy the fun of playing against inferior opponents. of course its more fun. when your the favorite going in it takes a lot of the stress off. but when you know you cant miss one putt inside of 30 feet if you even want to cash, well.... thats why people take their 980+ ratings to BG.

Another thing. I distinctly remember a lot of NC Ams saying they wanted to play AM Worlds in their home state, then they were moving up. what happened to that?

but in other sports the players actually want to go pro. not piddle around in the amateur ranks. if you ask any amateur golfer what he wants to do I bet none will sound like 1978, saying they enjoy the fun of playing against inferior opponents. of course its more fun. when your the favorite going in it takes a lot of the stress off. but when you know you cant miss one putt inside of 30 feet if you even want to cash, well.... thats why people take their 980+ ratings to BG.

Another thing. I distinctly remember a lot of NC Ams saying they wanted to play AM Worlds in their home state, then they were moving up. what happened to that?

Lol, ok, consider me trolled. I never said I enjoyed playing against inferior opponents...however, I do enjoy inspiring people to work harder on their game and not just hope everyone higher rated skips the event. There is WAY more pressure going in as the favorite...have you never played a sport where you were favored? I would take second card assassin over lead card leader any day. There is more pressure when you are expected to shoot that 1000 rated round. Im rated mid 980's yet people expect me to shoot in the 1010's. The high rated player is expected to make every putt inside 30'. That is a lot of pressure. The highest rated player, regardless, of their rating, in every division is expected to win. They have no where to go. If they win, well, duh, look at their rating.

Then there is this ridiculous arguement that people just win and win and win and don't move up. Sure, if you are winning every tournament in your area every time you play, you should probably move up. No one in this area does because of the competition level. Its a silly arguement...its like saying the SEC should all become pro teams, because the Big East area of the country isnt as good at football. SEC teams beat each other up and trade off conference championships....then go and clean up elsewhere. We have a competitive DG area, its not our fault.

I also dont understand why low rated players that play in open complain. It was your choice whether it be pride, competition, peer pressure, quality of DG in your area to play open. You are just wanting more players to keep you from cashing.

Of the 28 Advanced tournaments I have played I have won 5. Not exactly dominant.
I hope Aaron and Matt don't kill me for this...but well
Both Aaron and Matt have 8 wins just this year. I appreciate and look forward to any event I get to play with them at. And I don't consider them baggers just because they have won more than me.
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/55204/2012
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/60070

I have lost MULTIPLE times, and in some cases lost more than beat the very SAME people that are on this website complaining. Lol. They beat me more than I beat them and then still log in to complain about baggers. Ya'll are silly.

Super 8 North. Late night drunken poker games in the lobby.

Signed, Sunday was rough:gross:...Thinking about making the trip again this year...Had a great time last year...Founders KBS @ Lost River Pizza was (.) (.) Their wings...Chuck's Liquor Store...Disc Golf...Lot's of positives for a repeat visit.

but in other sports the players actually want to go pro. not piddle around in the amateur ranks. if you ask any amateur golfer what he wants to do I bet none will sound like 1978, saying they enjoy the fun of playing against inferior opponents.

I agree with this, personally. But just like in ball golf, what happens to the guy that just creeps into the pro ranks? I want ALL pro sports to be like golf, actually: performance-based pay. But then pro football, basketball, baseball and hockey players would turn into even more whiny ball-hoggers. But back to golf. The newbie, if he's not a prodigy, has a lot of work, and money to spend, to make it on the pro golf tour. If you miss the cut, you don't make a living. Sure, you've fulfilled a dream, but you go to the poorhouse if you don't get a few good breaks and have a good tourney every once in a while.

I want to go pro, but I don't think saying "you're 970+ rated, so you HAVE to go play pro" is the way to go. I'm 974 at the latest update, and I'm proud of that; I've never had a ratings decrease at an update. But can I even compete at the closest tourneys to me, mostly in central NC? Usually, no way. It doesn't mean I won't try, because I will probably play Open a lot this year. But I can't justify playing Open every tourney, or in paying the elevated PDGA Pro membership fee, just so I can pay more money to play and likely lose. Not until I am ready, by my own standards, to compete at that level. And in general, 974 just ain't there yet.

I've got 3 wins in 17 Am events this year. I moved up from Intermediate last year after winning my first Intermediate tourney. But I'm just not ready for the jump yet.

I agree with this, personally. But just like in ball golf, what happens to the guy that just creeps into the pro ranks? I want ALL pro sports to be like golf, actually: performance-based pay. But then pro football, basketball, baseball and hockey players would turn into even more whiny ball-hoggers. But back to golf. The newbie, if he's not a prodigy, has a lot of work, and money to spend, to make it on the pro golf tour. If you miss the cut, you don't make a living. Sure, you've fulfilled a dream, but you go to the poorhouse if you don't get a few good breaks and have a good tourney every once in a while.

I want to go pro, but I don't think saying "you're 970+ rated, so you HAVE to go play pro" is the way to go. I'm 974 at the latest update, and I'm proud of that; I've never had a ratings decrease at an update. But can I even compete at the closest tourneys to me, mostly in central NC? Usually, no way. It doesn't mean I won't try, because I will probably play Open a lot this year. But I can't justify playing Open every tourney, or in paying the elevated PDGA Pro membership fee, just so I can pay more money to play and likely lose. Not until I am ready, by my own standards, to compete at that level. And in general, 974 just ain't there yet.

I've got 3 wins in 17 Am events this year. I moved up from Intermediate last year after winning my first Intermediate tourney. But I'm just not ready for the jump yet.

My posts were more geared towards those who have maintained extremely high am ratings for extended periods of time. What did u start last year at? If it was mid to high 970s...well...

My posts were more geared towards those who have maintained extremely high am ratings for extended periods of time. What did u start last year at? If it was mid to high 970s...well...

That is a fair point; if in another year, I am still at 974, I might consider that NOT moving up to Pro might be why I'm not moving up in rating. One year ago, I was at 939. But the curve has leveled a little over the last 2-3 updates. I'll blame my putting.

I blame your 3 disc bag. He uses the smallest Innova bag and still has room for 2 water bottles, a bath towel, an extra pair of shoes, and his cat named "Dog." Isn't that ironic.

Last edited:
I blame your 3 disc bag. He uses the smallest Innova bag and still has room for 2 water bottles, a bath towel, an extra pair of shoes, and his cat named "Dog." Isn't that ironic.

The craziest thing about this statement is, growing up, I had a cat named Dog.

Super 8 North. Late night drunken poker games in the lobby and CTPs from the ground to the third floor windows.

HAHA,

I was so glad I decided to not play. When a 10+ poker game breaks out at 11pm, it usually ends way into the night.

I think it's better to camp though. Camping is always more fun!

HAHA,

I was so glad I decided to not play. When a 10+ poker game breaks out at 11pm, it usually ends way into the night.

I think it's better to camp though. Camping is always more fun!

My night was over pretty quick due to my lack of poker skills.

CFR DISC MAILED ASAP

All of you who ordered a fund raising disc in the mail, your disc is on the way.

I am sending these out as the orders come in, so you can have the disc ASAP!

Just be sure to include your address (the last question in registration) if you purchase the discs during the registration process.

If you did not, or just want some of these great disc, pm me and I will get you fixed up ($20 each plus $3 shipping):

Champion Metal Flake Tern (max weight)
Flat top Champion Firebird (max weight)
CFR Blizzard Glow Ch. Dominators (161g to 175g)

...I am sending these out as the orders come in, so you can have the disc ASAP!

When HB says something, he means it! My Tern arrived today.

...Did you send that via time warp?
Timewarpfilm.jpg

I distinctly remember a lot of NC Ams saying they wanted to play AM Worlds in their home state, then they were moving up. what happened to that?

They all moved up...except Mark, haha! I enjoy giving him a hard time :D.

Ken, you need to quit coming down to Charlotte playing our tournaments, go play somewhere else! Lol, j/k! Although, I'm delighted that I won't see you at BG, haha!

Austin

Don't worry austin, you won't have to see me at local tournaments. (except the CAC)

But again, regardless of what division I play in, I don't foresee ever declaring pro unless forced to... Well... you might be able to persuade me with some CE plastic.

Don't worry austin, you won't have to see me at local tournaments. (except the CAC)

But again, regardless of what division I play in, I don't foresee ever declaring pro unless forced to... Well... you might be able to persuade me with some CE plastic.

haha. by no means am I a hater, and I completely understand your reasoning for your decisions to play Ams, I just like to give you a hard time since I cant beat you ;).

Latest posts