• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BG AMS!!! April 12, 13, 14

Doesn't matter whose fault. It sucks. Some people needed the boost from this tourney to register for USADGC. Now they can't. It's going to be nearly 3 months after the tourney before the ratings are reflected. (July 2nd update) If it's known this could be an issue, then a way around it should be thought of up front. (pay the fee, and have county reimburse maybe?)

This is the biggest am tourney of the year (possibly next to worlds) and for it to not be official in ratings for 3 months is ridiculous, no matter the reason.

Sadly but I agree. It's a GREAT event but gotta find a way.

Another reason for the lack of high profile tournament for the pro's here???

I know two large tournies could be a burden for the club and city.

You don't have to be such a fanboy. I love playing BG Ams. It's my favorite tournament to play every year. That doesn't meant that the worst parts of the experience aren't directly related to the TD.

Everyone appreciates the efforts that WERE put in, it's the efforts that weren't put in that stand out.

Fanboy? If someone puts as much work into an event as HB and the BG club does every year, I want there to be at least one person who doesnt completely sht on them. Maybe Shawn Sinclair or somebody could have run.the tournament this year, we'll never know. But for a tournament that big to have run that smoothly and then have people go home and completely rip a guys reputation is just sad. DONT come back next year. Not only will there be enough players to fill your spots, there will be a waiting list for those spots.

Maybe, for just once, the tournament community could be appreciative of what they got instead of bitching about everything that didnt go right. But I fear I'm asking way too much

Last edited:
Fanboy? If someone puts as much work into an event as HB and the BG club does every year, I want there to be at least one person who doesnt completely sht on them. Maybe Shawn Sinclair or somebody could have run.the tournament this year, we'll never know. But for a tournament that big to have run that smoothly and then have people go home and completely rip a guys reputation is just sad. DONT come back next year. Not only will there be enough players to fill your spots, there will be a waiting list for those spots.

Maybe, for just once, the tournament community could be appreciative of what they got instead of bitching about everything that didnt go right. But I fear I'm asking way too much

complaining about something like a players pack or parking is bitching.

when an event of this size isn't turned in to the PDGA and the reason from the TD is he is awaiting sponorship money to pay fees that the entry covers, that is a legit issue.

Running an event of that size isn't easy. No doubt about that. But turning scores in and paying your fee is easy. No one is knocking that work or anything, just the later part. IMO, it's legit.

If you can come up with a reason why that not paying a fee from a fee collected by players entries is valid, I will no longer have an issue. I would question this from a TD with a spotless reputation, much less one that has been accused by players of poor financial management at his events.

Last edited:
Bottom line is it's a PDGA requirement that the TD agrees to when he/she signs the sanctioning agreement - from the sanctioning agreement "Agree to submit all fees (sanctioning, insurance, player, membership, etc.) to the PDGA within the specified time frame as outlined in the Tour Standards".

The Tour Standards state 48 hours to submit the report and 30 days to submit post-event fees.

I played this event for the first time this year and had a blast and thought it was very well organized and executed, with a couple of communication problems, but nothing tragic. As a player, I have nothing to complain about.

As a long time TD however, I'm very surprised ... there really is no excuse for late reports and/or fees. None.

This will be the start to the end of Bowling Green Ams. I will say when Larry ran it it was better but when he stopped it was passed around three different T.D's in 3 years until HB took over in 2011.

I think it's funny that his defender is saying that the tournament had 650 people and the players packs were huge and all that but can't defend turning the scores in and paying fees.

Tournament size and player packs is simply icing on the cake. You can enjoy cake without icing, but icing without cake is a big mess.

How did the tournament get into HBs hands? Did someone just let go of it, I know the first year I played it was maybe 2006-2007 and Ernie Small ran it, and I played when HB ran it one year, both were well ran events. Nothing I could complain about.

I can barely handle running a 60+ event with one other person helping me, I couldn't imagine taking on a task like this. A lot of people on here are bashing HB, but a lot of those same people don't have the cred HB has as far as putting courses out there and exposing the sport to so many. I have no beef with anyone in the sport personally, but there are a lot of people who hold grudges for unknown reasons.

Shawn/Bigshot, are you guys going to step up and run the event next year. What happened to BG hosting a major or an A tier every year? I always thought in the past the BG Ams was to help support a bigger Pro type of tournament? Perhaps I am wrong.

The size of the tournament, ie. number of players and value etc etc, has nothing to do with turning in a report and paying fees. I'm not even sure why that's part of the discussion.

I think it's funny that his defender is saying that the tournament had 650 people and the players packs were huge and all that but can't defend turning the scores in and paying fees.

Tournament size and player packs is simply icing on the cake. You can enjoy cake without icing, but icing without cake is a big mess.

I turned in the scores. Along with the other 7 people who volunteered to give up their weekend to help out. I turned them into Andrew as soon as each round was over so that the ratings would be up asap

I turned in the scores. Along with the other 7 people who volunteered to give up their weekend to help out. I turned them into Andrew as soon as each round was over so that the ratings would be up asap

That's great. As someone who has ran big events, having someone turn in scores and do that is a major burden off the TD's shoulders. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I know HB appreciated it.

However this has nothing to do with paying the per player fee. The scores aren't official until the fee is paid.

The size of the tournament, ie. number of players and value etc etc, has nothing to do with turning in a report and paying fees. I'm not even sure why that's part of the discussion.

Agreed, so how did it get to a people bashing thread? I think a lot of people who get down on other people have their own flaws as well.

Agreed, so how did it get to a people bashing thread?

A player asked where the results were. The TD posted he was waiting to the per player fee based on a sponsorship. A local respected player, Shawn Sinclair, posted that the sponsorship was bogus and then...

KABOOM!

I saw someone came online and posted once. I mean I could sign up as anyone and post information to stir the pot, this is the interwebz.

So the reason the BG Ams ended up in HB's hands was that everyone locally had had enough of his crap! So we just said forget it.

Then in 2011 myself, Ernie, Howie, Juliana, and Rick and Sylvia decided it wasn't fair to the players to continue to let this happen. So we started a completely new club. SOKY Disc Golf Club.

At the end of this past year we got support from the parks department, the tourism board, the PDGA, the list of players above plus former BG TD's Andy Ritter, and Rocky Russell to commit to running the BG Ams in 2013. We put in a proposal to the PDGA and it came down to who actually created the event. Well Larry Bledsoe created the Bowling Green Amateur Championships. When HB started running it he changed the name to The Amateur Championships in Bowling Green. I contacted Larry about the event and he said that he was not going to get involved and take a side. So we couldn't run the event using the BG Ams name. We could run an event called The SOKY Amateur Championships. However HB told the pdga that he didn't care if they sanction his event he was going to run it regardless as a southern national event.

Deciding that it was going to be too much of a headache to deal with it for this year we told the PDGA that instead of running our own we would offer to work together with HB. He said NO!

The SOKY club would run this event in a heart beat next year. We have the staff and the experience to take this event to the next level. We want the BG community to get better and better. We want an NT back in BG. We want the courses to get better. Right now the only money from that event that stays in the community is $1.00 per player. We would not require the vendors to be the course TD's when they have paid $500.00 to be there.

When myself, Larry, Ernie, Rick, Sylivia, and Juliana ran the events we had 720+ Ams and an NT with 162 pros!

We are ready and willing to step up and make it happen for 2014.

If y'all do it in 2014 can you have the flymart in a venue that allows beer? Seems like back in 2010 there was a band and Yaarab Shriner's serving beer.

Last edited:
Always wanted to play BG. If Shawn and crew take it back over, I will be at that event!!

So the reason the BG Ams ended up in HB's hands was that everyone locally had had enough of his crap! So we just said forget it.

Then in 2011 myself, Ernie, Howie, Juliana, and Rick and Sylvia decided it wasn't fair to the players to continue to let this happen. So we started a completely new club. SOKY Disc Golf Club.

At the end of this past year we got support from the parks department, the tourism board, the PDGA, the list of players above plus former BG TD's Andy Ritter, and Rocky Russell to commit to running the BG Ams in 2013. We put in a proposal to the PDGA and it came down to who actually created the event. Well Larry Bledsoe created the Bowling Green Amateur Championships. When HB started running it he changed the name to The Amateur Championships in Bowling Green. I contacted Larry about the event and he said that he was not going to get involved and take a side. So we couldn't run the event using the BG Ams name. We could run an event called The SOKY Amateur Championships. However HB told the pdga that he didn't care if they sanction his event he was going to run it regardless as a southern national event.

Deciding that it was going to be too much of a headache to deal with it for this year we told the PDGA that instead of running our own we would offer to work together with HB. He said NO!

The SOKY club would run this event in a heart beat next year. We have the staff and the experience to take this event to the next level. We want the BG community to get better and better. We want an NT back in BG. We want the courses to get better. Right now the only money from that event that stays in the community is $1.00 per player. We would not require the vendors to be the course TD's when they have paid $500.00 to be there.

When myself, Larry, Ernie, Rick, Sylivia, and Juliana ran the events we had 720+ Ams and an NT with 162 pros!

i would probably drag my ass out there if you guys ran it. sounds great!!

DONT come back next year. Not only will there be enough players to fill your spots, there will be a waiting list for those spots.

If everyone there had your attitude I wouldn't come back. I have thanked the TD of BG for his effort every year I've been there. People have legitimate concerns. You come back biting people's heads off. Chill for a moment.

Personally I don't care that much about the ratings not being updated so quickly. I did care when the port-o-potty at the course HB was at all week didn't have toilet paper in it. I tried to bring it to his attention and got some sarcastic remark in return. Good thing I had 2 towels in my bag. :sick:

Hope this happens