• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BH sore tricep and back shoulder.

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I am still trying to learn the backhand and am pretty sore, so I am not sure my technique is right. My tricep and the right back lower part of my shoulder are pretty sore and will likely spazz out if I try to throw a BH hard right now. I played 18 holes a few nights ago all backhand for the first time. My best drive is about 270' BH, although my FH is around 400'.

Should I be focusing more on spin from the wrist as opposed to pulling the disc with the shoulder and tricep?

You'll get more snap on your throw if you use wrist action. The pull from the back and arm give the wrist added speed which increases the effectiveness of wrist action.
As for the soreness and cramping, try some light weight/high rep curl and shrug type exercises.

Yeah, I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are trying to throw too hard. I had this same problem, and getting the "snap" down will add a lot more than trying to throw hard. You might want to do some warming exercises before you start throwing, as well. Take time to develop and the distance will come.

PS If you're throwing 400' forehand- kudos, bro. Wow.

Spin is EVERYTHING. When I first started playing I threw sidearm to get any kind of distance. You have more muscles in action throwing sidearm compared to backhand. I have since learned backhand with just as much distance, but my sidearm still has more spin and therefore I use more stable discs when throwing sidearm. I know the muscle soreness you speak of. Do a Google on arm stretches, and give your arm a rest.

After a couple of days of arm rest, grab some mid-range discs and/or putters and work on your backhand. Stretch your arm BEFORE you throw anything. The focus is to get some 0-stable discs (Innova Classic Roc, Discraft Magnet) as they will show you what you are doing wrong. I see many people use an over-stable disc to compensate for off-axis spin and rolling one's wrist. A 0-stable disc will magnify your problems, and throwing them will give you immediate feedback to what you are doing wrong.

Latest posts