• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bicycle Cart

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I've gotten really into cycling over the past year.

I've been thinking about converting my old mountain bike into a disc golf cart.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried something similar, or knows anyone that has, so I could get some ideas.

If not, then I promise I'll post some pictures of my attempts :D

Simply playing devil's advocate here - I am sure it's probably more fun to construct something new for a bike, so I get that - but why not just put on a backpack and ride to the course? :D

Either way, as a fellow cyclist I'll be curious to see what you come up with. I've toyed with riding to the course, but I didn't want to pack extra clothes/shoes.

I can't imagine how you could re-configure a bike for that type of terrain and to carry gear as well.

I understand mountain bikes, but we walk through sometimes very narrow tree paths, thick brush, swamps, etc. Plus it would be a pain the ass hopping off and on 3-4 times a hole. Pushing the bike around would be a waste.

I am curious though what could be developed. Let me think on this.

Are we talking about keeping the bike in tact or gutting parts and remodeling the entire thing?

There is an old timer here in Arizona that rides his mountain bike on the course and tows an all-terrain child carrier behind it. That could be an option.

Why not an old school handlebar basket? You can get pretty big wire ones that are already designed for a bike, would be pretty cool I bet. If it were me I'd go the extra mile and add the handle grip tassels :)

And don't forget the bell, three rings for a birdie!

To be clear, are you looking to add to the bike creating a bicycle/golf cart hybrid, or just use the parts from a mountain bike to make a cart (not something you ride)?

The two best hobbies combined!

You can buy panier hardware (the hooks and things) at some bike stores. You could then rig up a small bag pretty easily. Or even just bungee your bag to a rack, though it would be less slick looking.

This is also one instance where a kickstand might make sense to not spill your discs.

Post pics once you rig something up!

To be clear, are you looking to add to the bike creating a bicycle/golf cart hybrid, or just use the parts from a mountain bike to make a cart (not something you ride)?

I want it to be something I could ride, but I wouldn't plan on riding it while at the course. Just to and from courses under 10 miles from my house, on days when I'm in the mood.

Thinking something like a double kickstand for while on the course. Attaching a sturdy rack to the back and either attaching my bag to that, or maybe a milk crate or something. Already got water bottle holders. Then maybe a small handlebar bag or something for accessories like towels, birdie bag etc.

I don't know if it'd be worth hauling around all said and done, probably weigh at last 40 pounds. It just seems like a fun project :D

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to work on, definitely would be a cool thing to have on a nice cool day. Please share the pictures when you're finished!

My friend played a round on his bike when he messed up his knee a few years ago. He actually threw while half perched on the bike. I think he just had his bag strapped to the handle bars though.

I want it to be something I could ride, but I wouldn't plan on riding it while at the course. Just to and from courses under 10 miles from my house, on days when I'm in the mood.:D

I did this. I took my old mountain bike and modified it for getting around town. I put on road tires, put on a cushier saddle, put on a rack on back, added two panniers and lights on the front & back. I also bought a device that teathers my dog to the seat post, so she can accompany me and get some exercise too. I even bought a cup holder for my handle bars, for my coffee.

When I started playing disc golf, I began biking to my home course, which is quite close. I don't do it all the time because, while being close, it's also quite hilly. But I do it when I feel like I could use some good cardio. And it's a great way to warm up your body before playing. I always get a nice blast of endorphins as I dismount after riding up the hill to the course and begin getting ready to play some golf.

To rig up my disc golf bag (Innova Comp w/straps) I bought a nifty webbed bungy thing that came with hooks so I could mount my bag across the rack in back. It works great. Whatever extra gear I need to bring, I just stash it in the panniers. The added weight does make for a more strenuous ride up the hills, but sometimes that's cool. I wanna say that I spent ~ $150 on all the stuff for these modifications to my bike.

A while ago I also bought a two-wheeled wagon/trailer from Amazon for this bike because I was feeling ambitious and wanted to be able to haul more stuff like groceries, etc. The trailer was only $50 and it works quite well - it's easy to attach and detach. But the weight of the trailer & the added payload make for an even more strenuous workout going up hills, and (surprise) I don't use it a lot. I think I took this trailer to my home course once or twice but I seem to remember not needing the extra room. Maybe if I was hauling my bag of putters too, it would make sense.

Next time I set up my bike for a trip to the course, I'll take a pic & post it in this thread. But I can't recommend enough biking to your course. It always makes me feel good to do it.

Sounds like a good idea to me. As with any hobby, and most equipment aspects of DG-it all about if it makes it more fun and enjoyable-FOR YOU-if it does, then I say GO FOR IT! I encountered similar issues with my fly fishing. I am not in good shape like the OP, but I enjoyed riding my MTN Bike around. When I lived closer to couple trout streams, I liked to bike there sometimes, between my rod and vest and waders, etc it was allot more work than just driving there. I ended up cutting down on my gear and just wet wading so no waders, having a samller lightweight vest/pack and buying a bike rack rod holder. Convenient-NO. Fun for ME-HELL YES. It was so great riding home while my shorts dried with my rod on the rack getting waves and beeps on my way. I didn't do it all the time but once every week or two it was really nice to do on a summer evening.

EDIT-I ended up in the best shape of my adult life at the end of that summer!

Last edited:
Cool Concept

This would be a neat idea. I believe is only an idea at this point.

attachment.php

http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/07/01/how-to-fold-a-bike-into-a-cart/

Attachments

• Cart bike.jpg
    Cart bike.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 90
I strapped my old Simian to the utility rack on my mountain bike back in the day, worked great. Lost a tourney with much less foot pain than I normally lose tournies. :thmbup:

Latest posts