• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Trip!

codyroberts18

Double Eagle Member
Here we go! Me and a buddy are loading up Wednesday from Tupelo, MS and taking a trip. We are stopping in:

Birmingham, AL
Atlanta, GA
Appling, GA
Augusta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Nashville, TN

and anywhere in between or close by that is worth stopping. We are hitting the best courses in those places and some that are in between. Are there any courses you folks recommend in this path? As of right now, plan on hitting:

George Ward, Inverness, East Roswell, Perkerson, JP Mosley, IDGC, Hippodrome, Renny, Nevin, Bradford, Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest, Seven Oaks, And Cedar Hill.

If there is a course worth driving to, fill me in. We want to hit every great course in our path or close to it!

If you feel like taking a detour or change your plans swing by "holler in the hills" just north of bowling green, KY. Its about 70-80 miles north of Nashville.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3213

An awesome private course I wish I had played when I was down there. A couple of my friends played it on the way home from BG AMS, and were raving about it. You have to call ahead for a tee time. $5 a day.

NGCT ...I thought it was totally awesome, but read the reviews.

Renny is a blast, and Hornet's Nest is great, too.
I loved Nevin, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
If you plan to go from Augusta to Charlotte, you really might wanna give Stoney Hill some time... highest rated course in SC, and I can personally vouch for it's splendor.

Definately hit Holler in the Hills, it's my favorite course that I ever played. Also consider playing Indian Creek and Monte Sano in Huntsville, they are half way between Bham and Nashville.

Hopefully this will be a 3-week trip--you would need that much time to hit up every good course along your way.

If you plan to go from Augusta to Charlotte, you really might wanna give Stoney Hill some time... highest rated course in SC, and I can personally vouch for it's splendor.

Ah, but you didn't see it in its summer plumage. Uh, foliage.

But it is still between Augusta & Charlotte, in a backroads sort of way.

Our visitors are welcome, with some big caveats---

(1) The course is a bit overgrown right now and, depending on the timing of your visit and what gets mown in the meantime, it won't be at its best. Currently it's playable but shaggy; only one place is really a problem, with about 2' high grass, which I certainly hope to mow soon. At the very least, be forewarned.

(2) It requires a guide, or at least for someone to meet you there, which limits the times available. For the most part, weekends and late afternoons should work, with a day or so's advanced notice. But your trip may not be tighly scheduled enough to work it in.

(3) In the planning department, we have 3 overlapping layouts. You can tour the course with a single 24-hole layout, in which you'll either play or at least see everything. But to play everything requires two 18-hole layouts, and that requires some time.

Even with David's caveats, I would highly recommend Stoney Hill. It's rugged, but the challenge and variety stand up to just about any course out there including the other great courses you have planned on the trip. It was my second favorite course on our southwest trip only after flyboy and ahead of all the Charlotte and IDGC courses.

Renny, Nevin, Bradford, Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest.

RLSmith is better than several of those, both in my eyes and according to ratings here.

4.30 Renny
4.24 Nevin
4.18 RLSmith
4.11 Bradford
4.10 Hornets
3.75 Angry

Of course those top 5 might as well be a statistical tie, only covering 0.2 in range. I live about a mile from Angry. I feel like it's always been a little UNDER-rated, but it's also had some new tees and other changes in the last year. I haven't played it since those changes, but some of the review and forum comments have been less than favorable.

------

If you are a fan of the USDGC, consider stopping at Winthrop and playing the Gold course. If you're not a fan, don't bother.

RLSmith is better than several of those, both in my eyes and according to ratings here.

4.30 Renny
4.24 Nevin
4.18 RLSmith
4.11 Bradford
4.10 Hornets
3.75 Angry

Of course those top 5 might as well be a statistical tie, only covering 0.2 in range. I live about a mile from Angry. I feel like it's always been a little UNDER-rated, but it's also had some new tees and other changes in the last year. I haven't played it since those changes, but some of the review and forum comments have been less than favorable.
I felt that RL Smith is overrated. I guess if you are a weanie arm I could see it being better. Actually I felt that Charlotte in general is a bit overrated, as is DFW. Go to WV or PA instead. ;)

Even with David's caveats, I would highly recommend Stoney Hill. It's rugged, but the challenge and variety stand up to just about any course out there including the other great courses you have planned on the trip. It was my second favorite course on our southwest trip only after flyboy and ahead of all the Charlotte and IDGC courses.

I hope you guys can visit again someday, so you can see the changes, additions, and improvements we've made since you were last here.

Of course, it seems you're getting further away, instead.

Is this Big Trip still on? You guys must be somewhere in Georgia about now.

I hope you guys can visit again someday, so you can see the changes, additions, and improvements we've made since you were last here.

Of course, it seems you're getting further away, instead.

We very much intend to make another trip to the Carolinas, it might be a couple years but Stoney Hill is right up there at the top of our list when we do. :thmbup:

Oh yea! I thought I posted last night but I guess the lack of service in the middle of nowhere didn't let it go through haha. We are coming through Augusta headed to Charlotte! Is Winthrop set up in the gold all the time? Is it worth stopping at if not?

Oh yea! I thought I posted last night but I guess the lack of service in the middle of nowhere didn't let it go through haha. We are coming through Augusta headed to Charlotte! Is Winthrop set up in the gold all the time? Is it worth stopping at if not?

No and no.

The baskets are mostly all in the right spots to play the gold layout but the ropes aren't up. I enjoyed taking the caddy book out there and estimating where the ropes would be to see how the course played, YMMV.

So as we approach Charlotte, here is what we are thinking. Nevin, Renny, Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest, RL Smith, Brackets Bluff. Sound like we will get in most of the best ones?

Also, what is worth playing in Asheville or on the way?

Latest posts