• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Bash Advice

ntguthrie

I'm helping organize a Birdie Bash this weekend. Just wanted to get some input from the general DG community on hole layout for the event. The course we're playing at (Greenfield DGC) is 6650' from the white tees & 4930' from the red tees , par 61 with about a 50/50 mix of open(ish) and wooded holes. Given that the event is geared toward beginner/intermediate players, we don't want to play all white tees and eliminate newer players from getting any points. However for the more advance players that show up, we don't want every hole to be a 200' shot, especially given that most everyone will be getting a high-speed driver.

Our current plan is to play a mix of red and white tees (roughly 2/3 red & 1/3 white). This will shorten some of the longer open holes to make it more realistic for newer players to birdie. I think most of the shorter wooded holes will still be played from the white tees as shortening them doesn't have a huge effect. Especially if we group newer players on the same card for the 2nd round, I think this would allow everyone the chance to pick up some points & have a good time. I think the new Birdie Bash point system (point for CTP if no one hits metal) will help as well.

Does anyone out there have experience running a Birdie Bash and could provide any input? Also, are there any thoughts on additional games that could be included in the event? Thanks in advance.

I ran my first BB in 2013. My BB this year is even bigger, and through some serious schmoozing for sponsorship dollars, I was able to add a ton of additional prizes, trophies and even custom title belts for the Mens and Womens winners.

As for your layout issue, I sadly can't really help you on that. I haven't played your course, nor do I know the players in your area. I got lucky in having a local course that is pretty short, but still has a few holes over 320 that aren't super easy...but also aren't super tough. Still, I had to come up with some alternate teepads for the juniors divisions.

I can help you with the additional games issue. In 2013 we spent our Birdie Bash "kickback" money on a large quantity of prizes for a post-round ring of fire. You don't have to have a crazy amount of prizes for a ring of fire. Just a couple extra discs, or some shirts or what have you. This could also be a good place to giveaway whatever extras Vibram sent you (water bottles, hats, bag) based on how many people signed up. Rings of fire are always entertaining, when you have 40 or 50 people putting at the same basket at the same time. You can add crazy stuff too, like putting sidearm or putting with your opposite hand, etc.

If you have a wide open area at your course, you could have a distance showcase. You could do a buy in or just do it for bragging rights. It's always cool for new players to see experienced players just uncorking a huge drive. Gives them something to shoot for. Hope that helps!

I ran one last year and put everything in the shortest placements available, for the most part, and plan to do the same this year. I really don't care about catering to better players. Those folks will still do well, they'll just end up throwing their putter on most holes. I don't mind having a few holes in the 300' range, but anything much longer than that, as a par 3 for an event like this, is just silly IMO. Now, if longer holes are played as par 4 (or 5), then I'd be open to that.

Gennataos that's exactly what I do. We have 4 holes that are par 4 for Men and Women (they are all over 300) and 3 additional for Juniors, simply because it's too hard to make an extra teepad further up the fairway on some holes.

I think the setup we agreed upon was to play a mix of red and white tees (12 red, 6 white). There are only two par 3's over 300', both of which are open downhill shots. We also have a lot of par 4's at the course that are normally 450'-500' (mostly open). We're playing all those from the red tees so they're 300'-375' par 4's, which seem manageable for most ability levels. Total course length is 5300', par 61 on a fairly open course. Hopefully it's varied enough to keep everyone entertained.

I'll give my opinion even though you've already set the course :D

The Advanced level players are likely to be the winners no matter what layout you use. Given the event is geared toward the beginners/lower skilled players, I'd play 100% from the reds. The higher level players will still have fun throwing their putters off the tee and the lower level players might still feel like they have a chance to reach the hole.

Generally these type of events are geared more towards new players and they're more fun if people have chances to birdie and birdie often. The more experienced players will get that concept as well as the beginners (and if they don't well, they can go play a traditional tournament).

Latest posts