• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BIRDIE! The Disc Golf Board Game

I've been following along. Looks like they hit the goal and the game will be created.

Good interview with Steve Dodge on The Upshot podcast.

Looking forward to buying a copy of the game in the future.

Smart - they've created a game that is ripe for expansion packs and collectible player cards. It's all there, now it just needs to be executed and delivered.

Smart - they've created a game that is ripe for expansion packs and collectible player cards.

Agreed. If they have the mechanics worked out and the gameplay is actually good it seems like it would be fairly easy to put out some course expansions.

But it would have to sell enough copies to justify printing expansions. The market is going to be limited by the theme. Only disc golfers are going to have even a bit of interest in this game.

I'm a big tabletop gamer so I felt obligated to back it as an intersection of my two biggest hobbies. I don't plan to take it to my gaming group but looks like it might be easy enough that my disc golf friends could learn it :p

I'm a big tabletop gamer so I felt obligated to back it as an intersection of my two biggest hobbies. I don't plan to take it to my gaming group but looks like it might be easy enough that my disc golf friends could learn it :p

wait... you think your game group wouldn't like it, but you think disc golfers who don't play board games would like it. :confused:

As someone who does not play board games, the idea of getting a group of disc golf buds together and ask them to skip playing an actual round of disc golf in favor of playing a card/board about disc golf..well..I'm just not getting it. ?

wait... you think your game group wouldn't like it, but you think disc golfers who don't play board games would like it. :confused:

As someone who does not play board games, the idea of getting a group of disc golf buds together and ask them to skip playing an actual round of disc golf in favor of playing a card/board about disc golf..well..I'm just not getting it. ?

I don't play board games either, but I backed the kickstarter and eagerly await getting the game as a result. And as I look out my window and see the ground covered in white stuff, wind chill hovering at -9, and sunset coming at 4pm, I find it quite easy to picture a scenario where I can get a group of disc golf buds together and play the board game for a few hours in lieu of playing an actual round. If from April through October, league night is Tuesday at 5:30...why not November through March, league night continuing at the game table?

If from April through October, league night is Tuesday at 5:30...why not November through March, league night continuing at the game table?

Yah...but the whole idea of disc golf is the beauty of the outdoors combined with the jazz we get from seeing discs fly in the air. I could see a group of guys playing a video game simulation of disc golf. But I think you really have to be an avid board game player first to enjoy this. From the looks of the video, the actual game itself might be easier to play. lol...

Yah...but the whole idea of disc golf is the beauty of the outdoors combined with the jazz we get from seeing discs fly in the air. I could see a group of guys playing a video game simulation of disc golf. But I think you really have to be an avid board game player first to enjoy this. From the looks of the video, the actual game itself might be easier to play. lol...

I agree that a large part of disc golf's appeal is being outside - that's a big reason I enjoy it so much.

I completely disagree that you have to be a board gamer first. Avid board gamers are not the ones backing it, and very few of them would find it enjoyable. There are THOUSANDS (not an exaggeration) of board games for them to choose from, and I'm not talking about best-selling games like Monopoly, Battleship, Life, and Clue. This is one of about 3,500 games that are released per year, so only disc golfers will take notice.

This reminds me that I still need to watch Simon's video.

I agree that a large part of disc golf's appeal is being outside - that's a big reason I enjoy it so much.

I completely disagree that you have to be a board gamer first. Avid board gamers are not the ones backing it, and very few of them would find it enjoyable. There are THOUSANDS (not an exaggeration) of board games for them to choose from, and I'm not talking about best-selling games like Monopoly, Battleship, Life, and Clue. This is one of about 3,500 games that are released per year, so only disc golfers will take notice.

The kickstart was a resounding success, so from that stand point alone, it's already a success. Thanks for the comment.

i couldnt imagine bringing this to a friends house and having everyone choose this over cards against humanity

i couldnt imagine dg friends that are hardcore enough about dg choosing the board game over an actual round no matter the weather

this screams a one and done type game

i couldnt imagine bringing this to a friends house and having everyone choose this over cards against humanity

i couldnt imagine dg friends that are hardcore enough about dg choosing the board game over an actual round no matter the weather

The game mechanics actually seem kinda fun from the limited details I could glean. I like the idea of playing cards against other people's shots. As a devoted pessimist I want to shat all over this thing, but despite my personality defects I may actually get a copy...

Cards against humanity is for women and redditors.

I couldn't imagine going to a friends house and everyone choosing cards against humanity over anything else. But I see your point if compared it to other popular strategy games like Catan, Ticket to Ride, or Carcassonne.

"Hey it's raining with 20mph winds tonight. Still wanna catch that round or play this board game?"

I didn't think much about this game at first glance and kinda figured a dg board game would be a fail. But it looks like it could have some depth and strategy to it. To me it screams worth playing and looks to be fun. If it's good, probably a play here and there on game night.

You must not hang out with any disc golfers OFF the course and after hours?

I highly doubt people will be skipping out on prime dg to sit inside around a board game.

Haven't seen the game dynamics yet. But how about emulating D&D where there's a Dungeon Master (Dodgemaster?) who runs the quest? The blind course unfolds with many hidden pitfalls - islands to visit and mandatory turns - as the group of players, each with their unique skill set, find random gold nuggets to help underwrite their quest to gain a million$ sponsorship upon successfully traversing 18 under.ground holes.

Haven't seen the game dynamics yet. But how about emulating D&D where there's a Dungeon Master (Dodgemaster?) who runs the quest? The blind course unfolds with many hidden pitfalls - islands to visit and mandatory turns - as the group of players, each with their unique skill set, find random gold nuggets to help underwrite their quest to gain a million$ sponsorship upon successfully traversing 18 under.ground holes.

Hmmm, to rate your ideas here in relation to the courses you have designed, these are much closer to the Acorn refurbish than Highbridge Gold...

Latest posts