• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BIRDIE! The Disc Golf Board Game

Yes! Don't listen to the negative nancy....that dude must be fun at parties.

So you think getting a group of your disc golf buds to throw down a serious board game party will be just as intriguing to them as getting together for a round of actual disc golf?

I'm not knocking board games at all.....we play a variety of classic board, card, dice games in my family quite often. I'm just not seeing any connection for disc golf and board games due to the extreme "outside and being w/nature" side of the sport. I see it more like one person who is a disc golf fanatic buys the game and tries to get a few of his non disc golf friends to play the game once in a while. And then someone looks it at and says... "can't we just keep playing MTG?"

Some weird takes here.

I'm not in the Navy but enjoy Battleship.

I'm not a doctor but enjoyed playing Operation as a kid.

Can't recall ever saying it's a beautiful day, let's stay inside and play board games.

Unless it was a crappy weather day or holiday family gathering, I'd say 90% of my board game playing occurs at night.

I'm not going to hate on a game I haven't played yet because that's dumb.

As someone who does not play board games,

.....we play a variety of classic board, card, dice games in my family quite often.

Now I'm confused.

I'm still not sure why people think it's either "do this" or "do that".

When it's nice out, yes I'd rather play a round or two outside. But during the winter when it's cold out, and gets dark as I'm driving home from work I think it'd be a blast to grab a few beers and have friends over and give this a try.

Paul and Simon seemed to like it.

Refuse to get it until there's a "My Life!" expansion pack.

A group of ninjas in tuxedos chase you, yelling 'My Life!' Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

You take a girl disc golfing on a first date. She isn't very interested so you start yelling at her. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Now I'm confused.

When I first saw the video for Birdie, it looked like a MTG (magic the gathering type game) and I definitely do not play those types of games and I wrongly assumed that was classified as a board game, then I realized classic games like monopoly, hell..even checkers are considered board games and ofcourse I play them. So yah... I fudged up. :eek:

Anyone who backed the project play theirs yet? I was one of those who were sent two by mistake, and decided to give them $20 for the second one, which I'll gift or donate to a raffle. I've opened one and looked through everything, but haven't actually played it yet. Just curious what people think if they've now played it.

I'd almost forgot about this. I see Infinite Discs has it as well. I have some PayPal money burning a hole in my pocket...maybe I should grab it.

I got my copy a couple of weeks ago. It's complicated, but fun. I've played it a couple of times with my 12-year old daughter and she got into it. I've played it n the "solo mode" a couple of times and had a good time. It's a fun way to pass time on a rainy day.

What did you think of Paul and Simon's thoughts?

Promotional video for the game's Kickstarter campaign so hard to tell. Simon says it is the best disc golf board game but how many of those are there? ;)

I think they probably like it, and it probably is fun. The BGG ranting was a 6.8 and that'd be about my guess of what it is after watching this and looking elsewhere...so not a bad game and not a great game. Hope to play it someday but think I'll save my $50ish.

I've been selling them at about the pace I expected. It's not cheap, but something different for the disc golfer. I expect them to be popular at tournament vending. Especially for the "I don't need any more discs" payout people.

As a player, I thought the directions seemed confusing because I don't play these modern type board games. When I actually started playing and learning as I go it all made sense though. I could see leaving off the karma cards and just rolling dice for a simple option. Or other home course adjustments to how you want to play. Think of how no one seems to play Monopoly correctly with auctioning properties.

So I give it a thumbs up for the disc golfer. From the -12 over 9 holes when playing as Simon, to the $100 tournament winner to my preorders on release day, it is something new and exciting in our disc golf world.

I'd rather see a proper game-ified version of this...
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livewire/looking-winter-project-check-table-top-disc-golf/

I'm more a fan of skill games than board games. Give me a dexterity based disc golf tabletop game.

Cool concept, but holy hell would it take a long time to play 18 holes. Unless you play open holes of course, in which case just flick a quarter across your dinner table or play paper football. Imagine having an 18 hole course set up...it'd be huge!

Cool concept, but holy hell would it take a long time to play 18 holes. Unless you play open holes of course, in which case just flick a quarter across your dinner table or play paper football. Imagine having an 18 hole course set up...it'd be huge!
I agree, given their setup. I think holes would be defined in shape by bendable silicon pieces with "pegs" at their bottom, allowing dogleg setups that are quick and easy. "Bush" pegs could be set up throughout the hole. Dice could be used to determine the number of bushes to include on a given hole, each hole players take turns setting out bushes. And maybe each hole 1 player (rotating) is given the chance to set up the shape of the hole with the silicon fairway defining pieces. Once your disc comes to rest you can put a peg with a smooth "mini" top in place where you stopped so other players whose discs happen over your space skip/slide over it.

I agree with the setup on their idea being a bit much, but it can definitely be streamlined.

I ordered my copy last night along with some Valks and Leos.

I'd rather see a proper game-ified version of this...
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livewire/looking-winter-project-check-table-top-disc-golf/

I'm more a fan of skill games than board games. Give me a dexterity based disc golf tabletop game.

Neat concept following that link.

Though plenty of people would take issue board games don't require skill. Skill isn't just dexterity and coordination. It is also "the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance" according to webster.

Plenty of board games require a lot of skill to play. Modern ones are not the pure luck based Monopoly or Sorry! games of yesteryear. Plus there are always things like Chess or Go(Baduk) that have a very high skill level needed to compete professionally.

A bit of a ramble I know, but pertinent as over the years I've found tabletop skill games, be it board games or something that requires dexterity and coordination like Crokinole or the one in your link, means friends and family who are not as much into it won't play.

Some elment of luck allowing new players to compete with veterans ends up being more fun for everyone.

Latest posts