• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Aces

DiscCrusher

I had played for about 2 years never hearing of one. Then in the past few month witnessed two black aces, one about 200' up a hill out in the open. a friend was learning sidearm and turned over his drive, it sailed about 50' off line and stuck right in the wrong basket. Even more unlikely another friend a couple months later aced the wrong basket on a wooded hole after his backhand anhyzer shot went ary. Anyone else seen any Black aces?

yeah, i've seen 3

camden, south carolina, a buddy hit a tree high and it bounced in the previous basket.

i had one in mason, city iowa. hole #8 has a pond between tee and basket. it had flooded so we tee'd off from further to the left (where the pond was skinnier). i through over the pond but through a weeping willow tree and my disc crashed into #4 basket

same hole, a buddy forehanded it (from the original tee this time). he torque monkey'd it and it went into #4

I have one :oops: theres a 6 hole course here with a bit of overlap (theres more overlap w/ six holes now than there was when there were 9 holes :? )

hole 5 is a gentle anny. I was having a bad day so I wanted to try something new a big sweeping hyzer over hole ones fairway. The basket for one is about 50' away from the #5 tee. The second I released my Z avenger I knew that the basket was in the way. The single chain discatcher that had let my putter fly through multiple times that round (see above, bad day), cought my Z avenger at 90% power :shock:

it was a good laugh. my round accually turned around from there I parked the hole from there, and then hit basket on hole 6 making me a dollar so I only lost 4 bucks for being in the 51 club :-\ (stinking black ace)

Yep black aces are fun too! It's pretty crazy how these black aces never fail to stick, yet we bounce off the real basket all the time.

I've seen a couple. The short pitch and putt course, Kentwood, has a couple of overlapping holes. #14 is a long uphill hyzer that most people really have to muscle to get up there and #5 is straight out from #14 teepad (hope that makes sense). People try to overcrank their drive and it just flattens out and head straight at basket 5. The basket on hole 9 is about 60 feet behind the basket for eighteen so if you throw too hard you could end up in that basket (which I've seen once)

I've never seen one, but I almsot had one the other day at Johnny Roberts here in Colorado, I saw it heading for the other basket that was directly in front of the hole I was on (8 for those in Colorado, 7's basket it on the north side). I just turned so I wouldn't have to see it, but I got lucky and missed lol.

that must have been a pretty low shot huh? at tags last week was the best I ever played that hole almost birded (hit bottom of the basket) threw a wizard off the tee. Ive gotten closer before throwing a Z comet, but that is way to risky of a shot because the fade is too unpredictable in that narrow of a fairway.

(for those who dont know the course its a narrow fairway w/ an ob creek on the left, trees on both sides 3/4 the way down the fairway, ob road right about 35' wide landing area between trees, its a hard anny to lay up on to the green where its nearly 80' wide, and if you end up right youre putting straight at the creek, 320' ?)

Thatdirtykid said:
that must have been a pretty low shot huh? at tags last week was the best I ever played that hole almost birded (hit bottom of the basket) threw a wizard off the tee. Ive gotten closer before throwing a Z comet, but that is way to risky of a shot because the fade is too unpredictable in that narrow of a fairway.

(for those who dont know the course its a narrow fairway w/ an ob creek on the left, trees on both sides 3/4 the way down the fairway, ob road right about 35' wide landing area between trees, its a hard anny to lay up on to the green where its nearly 80' wide, and if you end up right youre putting straight at the creek, 320' ?)

Not to mention the OB Sidewalk that goes down the entire way to almsot the basket lol.

I've seen one. A friends wife was learning to play. She attempted a left handed hyzer and it arced over and directly into the basket for the adjoining hole about 50' away. She was so excited untill we pointed to the correct basket about 240' down the fairway. We all enjoyed a chuckle and give her shit all the time.

I witnessed a 370' black ace by the late Eric Yetter. We were playing a pdga event in windy conditions. The first three of us turned our drives over badly to the right due to the ferocious headwind (and lack of stable plastic in 1988). Eric aimed his stingray well left with a near vertical hyzer. It flipped up and went on a stringline towards hole 6's basket. There was a foursome putting out but we were all too flabbergasted to yell fore. It smashed the chains dead center and scared the horsemess out of the group. The four of us were doubled over laughing.

I've also witnessed one black birdie in tourney play also that was pretty funny.