• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black disk dyeing

Tchapman80

Is it possible to dye black discs? I would like to attempt this with a Gateway Magic sss Putter. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you can't dye a black disc. Also I don't think Gateway SSS takes dye well. What color were you trying to dye it??

Is it possible to dye black discs? I would like to attempt this with a Gateway Magic sss Putter. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

No. Don't do it. You can't dye over black, and SSS is just about the worst plastic for dyeing.

If you really want a design on it, or to make it brighter, buy some silver and gold sharpies and have at it.

Thanks guys, I had this vision of a vinyl record type label for the putter

You can still do it. Use the same design stencil and use a silver or gold sharpie like roggenb3 suggested. It wont be the same as a dye but it will give you the look you want unless you were planning on colors?

Do Magics come in a premium plastic? If so, you could do a white premium plastic Magic. But then that's probably not the plastic you want anyway. I believe Dyemax by Dynamic Discs used to print images on any premium plastic disc. Unfortunately, after just checking their site, they only do that to Latitude 64 and Dynamic Discs now.

They do make a white sharpie pen, and it will not stay on the plastic if you use acetone with your dye. You may have to mix it with water and heat it (dip dye method) silver sharpies also come off with acetone.good luck

SSS won't take dye.
Diamond and Platinum are the only gateway plastic that take dye well, Diamond is the only plastic that actually holds lines and doesn't fade super quick.
Dyeing is also an additive process.
You have to start with the lighter color, especially when trying to blend.
You can't dye over solid black unfortunately.

Latest posts