• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Falls

I've played most of the top 25 and don't see Black Falls beating out any of the others for a spot...except BRP, which is flat and boring imo...and most likely VQ, but again I haven't played there, just going by pictures and obvious homeboy bias and shameless promotion that runs rampant in that area.

I've played most of the top 25 and don't see Black Falls beating out any of the others for a spot...except BRP, which is flat and boring imo...and most likely VQ, but again I haven't played there, just going by pictures and obvious homeboy bias and shameless promotion that runs rampant in that area.

Funny part is that despite the reviews, almost every local I talked to when I was in the Cities last weekend said they hate VQ.

I told a couple guys that I think it's more fun than BRP and they couldn't believe it.

Odd. From what I've read in various forums, at least 200 courses should be in the Top 25, all at the same time.

Just round to whole numbers. Every course 4.50 and above will be a 5.

Problem solved. :D

That's your opinion, but the fact is; it was in the top 25 before it was ambushed.

That's your opinion, but the fact is; it was in the top 25 before it was ambushed.

I think the fact that one review could tank the rating by enough to drop it just out of the top 25 suggests how little effect the ranking really has on the course itself. It is so out of the way to begin with, it doesn't have a high quantity of reviews anyway (30 total). And it's not like its presence in the top 25 fostered a bunch of traffic and subsequent reviews that could/would/should drown out the erroneous one. Nor has top 25 rankings gotten a few others a bunch of reviews (I count 3 courses with fewer reviews than Black Falls).

Bottom line, being top 25 is probably a nice ego thing for the course club or course owner, but it really has no impact on whether people are coming to play it or not. Sure, if someone's in the area, the rating might determine where they go. But no one is going to choose not to play the highest rated course in their destination area just because it's not in the top 25 in the world.

You are going to give yourself a nervous breakdown, man. Who cares....outside of the person who built it? Even then, I personally think building a course for the accolades and ego boost is the wrong motivation.

Bad reviews happen all the time, the world is an imperfect place. It certainly does not invalidate the golfer's opinion or this site.

How can this site pretend to have any credibility in rating courses, when it allows a review for one course (Cherry Hill) to be applied to another course (Black Falls) ? It's way beyond bogus.

How can this site have any credibility when any poster can come on here and trash it's credibility without trying to fix the problem? It's way beyond bogus.

BTW, this has lowered this site's credibility on my credibility rating so that it is no longer on my list of the 25 most credible sites. Is nothing sacrosanct anymore?

Last edited:
The short answer is yes, it is an obstacle to traffic when you get knocked out of the top 25 for no good reason. I'm surprised he hasn't RIPed his course and washed his hands of DGCR.
I know I would.
I'm guessing because RIPing the course would be an even greater obstacle to traffic...?
At least one course owner in my immediate area has made sure his course will never show up on DGCR at all - explicitly because he does not want traffic (it would be top 25, maybe top 10 once he finishes all the earth moving to add artificial elevation - he added a pond and 600 foot long 30 foot high berm wrapping around it this winter).

I play courses if I'm in the area. Been posting here for years. And I have no idea what the top 25 courses are and have never bothered to look.

-shrug-
Believe me, you haven't missed anything.

How can this site have any credibility when any poster can come on here and trash it's credibility without trying to fix the problem? It's way beyond bogus.

BTW, this has lowered this site's credibility on my credibility rating so that it is no longer on my list of the 25 most credible sites. Is nothing sacrosanct anymore?
If that's your weak attempt at being funny, at least come up with you own material.

I play courses if I'm in the area. Been posting here for years. And I have no idea what the top 25 courses are and have never bothered to look.

-shrug-

Pretty much the same here. I come straight to the forums and bypass the main page most days.

If I've got a trip coming up, I'll search a general radius around the city I'm visiting and just pick and choose the best 3 to 4 courses or a few that make sense logistically.

I've never really paid any attention to the top 25/100 until AFTER I've played the courses. I have found that I play them by default (seeking out the highest rated in an area, or going by word of mouth). Then I find it somewhat entertaining to scroll through the top 100 and see what ones I have played, and then possibly make note of those that I haven't for the next time around. DGCR is my bible, but not the top lists, just the ratings in general. Anything over 3.5 will be on my radar when passing through an area, anything over 4 will be a must play.

When I travel to an area, I use DGCR to find the highest rated courses in THAT state. Then I try to play the highest rated courses closest to my destination. After playing lots of "highest rated" courses in 49 states, I am left scratching my head. It seems many reviewers give glowing reviews of some private courses because they want to help the friendly owner and gloss over the crappy disc golf.

I wanted to play the top ten rated courses in an "Anonymous Western State" and ended up playing THE WORST COURSE EVER! There are just no words to describe how disc-appointed I was. To be fair, it wasn't one of the top 5 in the state, but I always see this course mentioned when players ask about playing in "the area". However, the course and the actual disc golf were sooo bad, it removed Shawshank from my list of "most overrated course ever!" In fact, this course makes Shawshank seem as glamorous as the French Riviera. At least Shawshank had amazing tee signs, actual fairways and a beautifully landscaped property.

I want to apologize to Shawshank for my previous hatred - you have been officially pardoned. :thmbup: :D

FYI, Black Falls still shows up as the second highest rated course in Vermont, behind Brewster Ridge, which is still in the DGCR Top 25. This seems reasonable to me. If that one review was removed, would Black Falls make the Top 25 again? Would Black Falls surpass Brewster Ridge as the top rated course in the state?

I wanted to play the top ten rated courses in an "Anonymous Western State" and ended up playing THE WORST COURSE EVER! There are just no words to describe how disc-appointed I was. To be fair, it wasn't one of the top 5 in the state, but I always see this course mentioned when players ask about playing in "the area". However, the course and the actual disc golf were sooo bad, it removed Shawshank from my list of "most overrated course ever!" In fact, this course makes Shawshank seem as glamorous as the French Riviera. At least Shawshank had amazing tee signs, actual fairways and a beautifully landscaped property.

I want to apologize to Shawshank for my previous hatred - you have been officially pardoned. :thmbup: :D
Wow ! Authentic humor does still exist on DGCR...Humor me some more.

FYI, Black Falls still shows up as the second highest rated course in Vermont, behind Brewster Ridge, which is still in the DGCR Top 25. This seems reasonable to me. If that one review was removed, would Black Falls make the Top 25 again? Would Black Falls surpass Brewster Ridge as the top rated course in the state?

Without the one 1.5-disc review, Black Falls would be rated approximately 4.66 (135/29) and be No. 18 in the rankings.

Latest posts