• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bleaching a disc

ScottishDiscman

Birdie Member
Was sitting around with a buddy and we were discussing dyeing a disc and he asked a question to which I didn't know the answer...

Is there a method of bleaching/lightening colours so that discs could be re-dyed?

the sun......
You can't really lighten a disc unless you leave it in the sun for a while.
UV wavelengths degrade almost everything.
I have had to bleach a disc before for disinfectant reasons, didn't see any lightening of base color.....

Technically, couldn't you use a laser like in tattoo removal? I realize this is not something we could do normally...just wondering.

Heh...

I found some methods for dolls using benzoyl peroxide 10% to remove ink and dye from plastic...

One method:
Apply the cream to the ink/dye
Cover with cling wrap
Place outside in the sun for two hours
Remove the cream with a slightly damp rag
Repeat as needed

People and their dolls... Yeesh... Anyway, no idea if this could work completely, but it might "bleach" the disc.

My understanding is that chlorine bleach can make plastics brittle. I'm not sure that is a worthy trade off when it comes to golf discs. I'm not sure if it would have any appreciable brightening of the disc.

Give it a shot and report back to us ;)

Heh...

I found some methods for dolls using benzoyl peroxide 10% to remove ink and dye from plastic...

One method:
Cover with cling wrap
Repeat as needed

People and their dolls... Yeesh... Anyway, no idea if this could work completely, but it might "bleach" the disc.

I'm shocked!

Attachments

• sxdoll.jpg
    sxdoll.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 36
Heh...

One method:
Cover with cling wrap
Repeat as needed

My concern with that is that it would wreck the flightpath!

Technically, couldn't you use a laser like in tattoo removal? I realize this is not something we could do normally...just wondering.

yes, one of my friends has access to a marking lazer. He drew a smily face on his disc; it was a lighter color. Actually it etched the disc, but so shallow that it was almost impossiable to feel, less height than a hot stamp