• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blue disc dyeing question

BmoreDre

Hey all, I'm kinda new to dyeing and was wondering if anyone had experience with dying red and orange on blue star plastic. Or should I get a white disc and dye on all three colors using the masking technique? I'm doing an Armenian flag for a friend

Trying to go for this look
armenian_flag_sticker-p217931355879881788z85xz_400.jpg

Any help will do.
Thanks!

Can't do lighter colours than the plastic already is, so would be surprised to ehar of anyone doing this. You would have to start with a white disc for that project. Or _possibly_ a yellow one. Depends on how the blue dye acts on it.

I would be using idye poly? Do you know how dark that blue turns out on yellow or white? Think I should dilute the blue when I dip it?

Thanks for the quick response!!!!!

I would be using idye poly? Do you know how dark that blue turns out on yellow or white? Think I should dilute the blue when I dip it?

On yellow, it would just depend and may not turn out well at all. Just keep a close eye on it when you dip it checking it every few minutes until you get it to the correct shade. iDye seems to dye faster than RIT does...

You guys rock!!! I'll be sure to post a pick as soon as its done! Might be a few days. Still need to order more dye and get the plastic

A white disc will give you the most control, but this could be done on yellow as well....getting the shade of blue you want might be challenging using a yellow disc, though. I haven't used the IDye blue, but going from experience with RIT colors, I'd say that you'd be safer to a) experiment on another disc first, and b) go ahead and dilute the dye more than normal, combined with short dip times/returning to the dye. You can always dye darker by redipping or concentrating the dye, but you can't lighten it up.

Yeah, I think I'll use half of the blue powder in the same amount of water and see how that goes. Thanks!!!

Should I do the red or orange first?

Always start with the darkest color so do the red first. if you did the other way around, the orange would end up red. Red is a pretty strong color so it should stay red even with dyeing orange over top of it. If you want to be 100% safe, then remask it.

I've been using mostly iDye Poly red, blue, and orange myself lately, and they take really well, and pretty fast (I just did a shaving cream dye in 2 hours!) but definitely start with white star (or equivalent) plastic... every attempt to use blue dye on yellow plastic for me so far has produced dark gray, without even much of a greenish tinge. Red, on the other hand, comes out just fine on yellow plastic for me...

You can use iDye blue on yellow, but the dip times and heat are very particular so I would suggest what has been said and go with a white star disc, do the red first, then orange, remask for the blue. iDye blue is a very true blue so don't leave it in too long an check a lot. Good luck

Thanks guys! Dyeing can be fun and a little scary at times, cause you don't want to mess it up. But you guys are a TON of help!!!

I used blue idye poly on a yellow star beast and it immediately went straight to a deep green.

Latest posts