• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Board Candidate Announcement

The PDGA IT guy would disagree about PDFs being ideal

In what way? And I didn't say they were "ideal" - I simply said the upsides were greater than the downsides, and a better option than printing.

PDFs of magazines are easier to distribute (bandwidth vs. shipping). They're cheaper to make. They can contain more images "for free" (unlike adding pages to a printed magazine). They can still be printed, or people can print the pages they want only. They're easily shared. They're available on virtually all modern devices.

He has been systematically eliminating PDFs on the PDGA website and replacing them with an HTML version of each document which are still searchable of course.

That's a pity. They're not searchable on your desktop, mobile phone, etc. without Internet access (nor as quickly searchable if you do have access).

I know those of us who do internet every day seem to think the thing is ubiquitous now, but it was recently estimated by census data that 20% of households in the US have no internet access. Granted most of these folks are the very poor who aren't likely to have money for golf discs in general, much less a PDGA membership.

But I'm sure we've all ran into older guys at our local leagues or tournaments who grew up in a non-internet world, could afford internet access if they wanted it, and just choose not to because its not their thing. Some folks just don't do computer.

I think you answered your own question. Think about all of the things that come with being a PDGA member besides the mag. Ratings (online), Tournament play (Online registration), etc. I just think its foolish to think that there are a large number of players out there without internet access. I would wager 5%> of active members do not have it.

I understand the print over internet, even for those that have internet argument, but I still think the pros far outweigh the cons

I know those of us who do internet every day seem to think the thing is ubiquitous now, but it was recently estimated by census data that 20% of households in the US have no internet access. Granted most of these folks are the very poor who aren't likely to have money for golf discs in general, much less a PDGA membership.

But I'm sure we've all ran into older guys at our local leagues or tournaments who grew up in a non-internet world, could afford internet access if they wanted it, and just choose not to because its not their thing. Some folks just don't do computer.

Here is the article you are referring too: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/internet-access-american-households_n_2049123.html

The problem with the PDGA surveys is that they are done online. So kind of silly to ask who has Internet access?

The problem with the PDGA surveys is that they are done online. So kind of silly to ask who has Internet access?

True, but I'm guessing that the same people that you can't ask have little or no idea that their magazine costs $200k per year to produce.

Growing the sport will be done by attracting people under the age of 60...and I dare guess that the vast majority will have Internet access.

Keeping a print magazine simply because it has always been done is not growing the sport...it is wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Here is the biggest PDGA myth: Board of directors are paid.

This is the list of current board of directors all volunteers.

Rebecca Duffy
Kevin McCoy
Peter Shive
Karolyn O'Cull
Bob Decker
Rick Rothstein
Avery Jenkins

Here is the list of paid staff employees.

Brian Graham - Executive director
Andrew Sweeton- Tour manager
Jason Allind - IDGC facilities manager
Sara Nicholson - Memberships manager
Marcy Borelli - Office manager
Mike Downes - Events manager
Steve Ganz - Technology director

Latest posts