• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Muskegon, MI

Boom Park

2.45(based on 5 reviews)
As of fall 2020, this course is partially flooded and very overgrown. It looks nothing like the photos from 2016 posted here. I believe the flooding is due to Lake Michigan water table levels (which have been rising for the past several years) and not due to a short-term event. When I tried to play the course today (early fall), the area had not received significant rain in over 2 weeks. Yet several tee pads and baskets were literally in the water, and the rest were clearly closer to it than any designer would have intended. The worst is #1 basket, which is probably 100' away from the closest point that I would call "land" as of now. The course has also clearly not been maintained in the recent past - the fairways are overgrown with tall, thick grass. If and when the water levels come down (the timeframe for this is likely "years"), the grass could be cut and the course could be playable again. Until then, it's unplayable.

The water table has lowered dramatically during the nine months since I wrote the post below, and whoever is maintaining this course took notice. As of this writing, the fairways have been mowed down and the course is playable again (looks more like the photos posted here). The baskets and tee signs are all present and in good condition. The gravel tee pads are basically natural at this point - you can see the wood frames of the tee boxes on most holes, but they have not been filled in with more gravel (yet?). Still could be extremely muddy/partially flooded in the spring, or after a heavy rain.

Latest posts