• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BOX OF DISCS STOLEN FROM CHARITY EVENT AT STONEY HILL

While thievery in general is deplorable, I think it's the fact that it happened at a charity event, combined with this aspect that likely cuts the deepest:

As hosts who opened our property to the mob, we hate to think of a thief among us.

Dave & Chris are the kind of people I wish I'd run across more often playing this sport. They make the effort to host a charity event, as well as offering their family's property to players camping out ... which is kind of like opening your home up to people... a certain trust is implied. I suppose it's that abuse of trust that stings the most.

It's not that there aren't scumbags among us. But you like to think that even @$$hats would take a break from their scumbaggery in a "feel good, win-win, let's do something good" setting such as this.

Apparently, some people take their scumbaggery more seriously than others. :\

Last edited:
Well I suppose if you are good at thievery, then that's the perfect time to steal something...when everyone's guard is down and it's the last think anyone is looking out for.

I had a guy, my random draw doubles partner no less, steal a disc out of my bag while I was making my shot. I come to a hole where I always threw my green River. I remember my partner admiring that disc a few holes before this, saying he'd love to have a disc like that. I reach for my River and it's gone (hadn't thrown it since the hole a while back) so I throw something else. Now I'm distracted and pissed because I knew it should be in the bag. On the next hole, while my partner is throwing, I look in his bag (which now has a towel draped over it) and there low and behold is my green River. I just grabbed it and put it back in my bag and didn't say a word.

I know, cool story bro. But the point is that honest golfers have to sort of spread the word about dishonest golfers so that people can watch out for them. This kind of thing has happened many times with this guy, so everyone knows to not let him close to your stuff or don't play around him at all. Sometimes you get stuck with it if you play random draw.

How is this guy allowed to play in these events? A known thief would not be allowed to play in anything I organized. And if i wasn't the organizer i would definitely let the organizer know of this guys history.

He's just one of the guys that always hanging around the course selling lost discs for beer money always denies he did anything wrong. It's hard to exclude someone from a group of guys at a pickup game...you end up looking like the Richard instead of him. Everyone just keeps an eye out... I don't want to highjack the thread but at least it keeps getting bumped up in case anybody knows anything.

Wait, it was a disc golf tournament wasn't it? Not to impugn all disc golfers, but I have been to tournaments where whole bags were stolen and cars were broken into, our local park's equipment has been stolen while the only people present were disc golfers and I've seen plenty enough other illegal activities going on around our sport to ever think that any disc golf tournament is a thief-free environment.

True enough, though a little more disheartening at an event like this.

That said, as TD I do lock my car doors, and lock up my house when I wander far from it during the event. It only takes one bad apple out of 72 or so.

He's just one of the guys that always hanging around the course selling lost discs for beer money always denies he did anything wrong. It's hard to exclude someone from a group of guys at a pickup game...you end up looking like the Richard instead of him. Everyone just keeps an eye out... I don't want to highjack the thread but at least it keeps getting bumped up in case anybody knows anything.

Not trying to hijack either but i'm a firm believer on calling people out on their crap. If you don't address it, it doesn't change. I'm also all for someone owning up to their crap apologizing and giving them a 2nd chance.

Hope this thief gets found.

Not trying to hijack either but i'm a firm believer on calling people out on their crap. If you don't address it, it doesn't change. I'm also all for someone owning up to their crap apologizing and giving them a 2nd chance.

Hope this thief gets found.

This.

Been there done that. Sure enjoyed the results. :D

Yep. It's usually not really worth confronting people in public unless you are prepared for the consequences. That video is a good example. Dudes mistake was not seeing it coming but as soon as he parked his cart the other guy thought it was on.

Latest posts