• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brand new, 1st timer

Chucker60

Birdie Member
New to the game, went to a local course for the 1st time ever. Someone gifted me a couple discs several years ago but i never went to play until today. I only had time to play 5 holes; had some good throws for a total beginner (i think) and some definitely not good throws. All 5 holes were pretty short par 3's and i scored 25 (+10) using only an old Aviar putter. I'm planning to go back and try it again when i have more time to play at least 9 holes.

I was able to get out for a little practice today, 2nd time ever on a DG course. Played a few holes trying to get used to throwing a disc, winds were very strong - a steady 20-25 mph. I managed to set a personal best throw on one hole off the tee (135') and made the longest putt for me so far (18') on another hole. I played 9 holes total but i was just skipping around to empty holes because i didn't want to bother any of the real players out there; pretty sure the last thing they want is some newbie to get in their way and screw them up. For the 9 holes I scored +11(39) on par 28 course, which is not too bad for an absolute beginner, right? Thoughts?

...I played 9 holes total but i was just skipping around to empty holes because i didn't want to bother any of the real players out there; pretty sure the last thing they want is some newbie to get in their way and screw them up.

The respectful action is to let faster players play through if they catch you, but you have just as much right to be on that course as anyone else.

Welcome to the addiction! :thmbup:

Any advice, suggestion, comments? How did you do your first couple times on a course? Suggestion on what i should work on to improve, advice on technique i'm likely unaware of that will help? Anyone?

Thanks Juan for the note.

Any advice, suggestion, comments? How did you do your first couple times on a course? Suggestion on what i should work on to improve, advice on technique i'm likely unaware of that will help? Anyone?

Most important thing is to have fun. If its not fun then it work. Personally speaking regardless of how I am playing I always try to take in nature and enjoy my time away from electronics. There is no substitute for experience and that will come with time.

I played 9 holes total but i was just skipping around to empty holes because i didn't want to bother any of the real players out there; pretty sure the last thing they want is some newbie to get in their way and screw them up.

Feel free to skip around as much you'd like, but new players are no worry. If you're in the way or doing something you shouldn't be we will help you figure it out. The community as a whole is very welcoming and educational.

I'm still learning myself after 3 years of playing. But the advice I wish I had gotten from the beginning was:

Keep away from distance drivers for a year. Putters and Midranges will help you improve your form. Fairway/Control drivers are okay, but wait a bit before you start using them.

Start with stable to understable discs.

Find out where your 'weakness' is. What gives you the most issues when you play? Putting? Approaches? Drives? Forehands? Backhands? Elevated baskets? Over water throws? Uphill/downhill throws? Once you've identified areas you have difficulty with, you can focus your fieldwork/training on that - and we will have a better idea of what advice to give you.

Don't try hard....this is my big issue. The harder I try to get a certain score, the worse I do.

Lastly, have fun....always have fun.

As for other groups on the course, introduce yourself, let them know you are learning and ask if you can join them and if they'd give you advice on improving. If you find yourself slowing them down, you can always make changes to your game to help keep the pace up. It took me a while before I could throw decent distances. I'd tell the group, I'm going to throw my tee shot for practice, but if it doesn't go far or well, I'll pick it up and throw from where you all end up so I don't slow you down. If I did that, I wouldn't keep score and would look at the round as a learning round. If I had trouble putting (missing a lot), I'd tell my group I'm limiting my putts to 2. And I would also let them know I'm not keeping my score. I found most groups were happy to have me join them and several times I was told to use every throw...they didn't mind the extra delay and would even give me advice on my throws or disc choice. (One time, I was picking my disc to throw an upshot and another player asked what I was going to throw....told me it was the wrong disc - based on seeing my throws the rest of the round - and handed me a disc he felt would be better for me on that shot....I parked the basket and ended up buying one).

Most important thing, IMO...

If you are throwing backhand, make sure you aren't putting undue pressure on your shoulder. If you are throwing forehand or sidearm, make sure you aren't putting undue pressure on your elbow or shoulder. Don't confuse pain with soreness and make sure you learn to follow through to bleed off some of that momentum.

Beyond that, play the way that you enjoy.

New to the game, went to a local course for the 1st time ever. Someone gifted me a couple discs several years ago but i never went to play until today. I only had time to play 5 holes; had some good throws for a total beginner (i think) and some definitely not good throws. All 5 holes were pretty short par 3's and i scored 25 (+10) using only an old Aviar putter. I'm planning to go back and try it again when i have more time to play at least 9 holes.

Where in TX? Or what is your home course that you've been playing?

Played this morning; ended up with 72 (+18) which is my best score yet. 3 pars, 3 doubles, 12 bogeys works out to even bogey golf (which is basically what I am) so I'm happy. Played with just 2 discs, DX Leopard & Aviar after taking advice I read on here to not use a driver. Worked out well, didn't seem to miss it.

Correction -- played with DX Shark & Aviar. Left my Leopard in the bag.
Still hanging in there?

Re: avatar. The Roughriders uniforms look too much like the Jets uniforms now. Thursday they kinda played like the Jets, eh?

Still chuckin' - sporadically
I'm actually an opposite season guy anymore; I play very regularly Sept-early May. In the Summer is damn hot and the courses are crowded so I'm more likely to skip. The heat index was 105 today; I'm cleaning the house. Maybe I'll throw tomorrow.