• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bravo DiscGolfPlanet.tv

Just be mellow, like Ian from Central Coast Disc Golf. His commentary is spot on, but in all fairness he's not doing it live. They have got to find someone else though if they want to attract new viewers. Only really hardcore disc golfers are going to suffer through that.

Thanks!

Put me in coach, I could do it :) Me and Crazy together even?

I haven't had a chance to watch the footage (and I was there for all of it anyway), but props to them for the coverage!

Anyone see me almost get hit by Doss's drive during the final round, hole 7? Mad jukes, I got em.

I am glad that this thread was started. I have been very critical of DGPlanet in the past and I am glad to have the opportunity to talk about there success and short comings

This years coverage was vastly superior to anything they have presented in the past and I was very pleased with the coverage. it streamed great, the picture clarity was very good and there was very little coverage interruption (i.e. they did not lose battery power and miss the last 2 holes of the event like last years memorial)

Crazy John: holy cow. There is no whine is the critique it is just cold hard facts. I do not mind his color or his repetition. People have stated earlier how hard it is to do live broadcasts especially ones that are hours long. I feel like he does a decent job at this part of his commentary. even though it can sometimes be painfully awkward especially live. But I don't hate is color or his plugs. he is a natural broadcaster and has a great voice for it. BUT what gets me more than anything is how often he is wrong on the play by play. about everything. even the most mundane things like what hole they are playing, the par, the distance etc etc. and especially when he is mistaken on his shot outcome. we can not see the shots finishing so we are relying on the commentary to keep us in the loop. He was absolutely terrible at this this year. almost everything that came out of his mouth was incorrect and it kept happening over and over and over. If he wasn't sure the disc went OB the he should not have speculated. after the first 50 times he was wrong I don't understand why it didn't dawn on him to just stop doing it. Even something as simple as "it looks like it may have gone out of bounds we will see when we get closer" but he never did that, not once. He just kept guessing and guessing wrong. From a sports nut like myself he gave me baby coronaries several times for no reason at all

You have a point and I think with a co-announcer like centralcoastdiscgolf :thmbup: one could be on the ground while the other is connected to the broadcast and others to feed him information, correct crazy when hes wrong about a ruling or other things. Thats how they do it in the pros, so to speak.

You have a point and I think with a co-announcer like centralcoastdiscgolf :thmbup: one could be on the ground while the other is connected to the broadcast and others to feed him information, correct crazy when hes wrong about a ruling or other things. Thats how they do it in the pros, so to speak.

Yeah, that's the problem. Crazy was down in the grass staying close to the cameras. His calls would have been different if he was watching the camera feeds instead of eyeballing everything.

There's a distinct advantage between the two approaches.
Being there next to the cameras provides some crowd/player interaction with the commentator, but makes it hard to follow the shots entirely (no zoom).

This is why Tony Siragusa doesn't do the play-by-plays from the field, and lets Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston make the calls from the booth.

I'd like to nominate Steve Brinster and "English" John DeBois for play-by-play and commentary

(old school Skylands NT DVD reference)

Latest posts