• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Broken disc...half ace...?

EricBB

This didn't happen recently but just popped into my head yesterday while playing. A few years ago I was teeing off on a very short hole (about 150ft. I think). I was throwing a disc with a slight crack in it from hitting a tree earlier in the round. (DX plastic) Anyways, I nailed the basket off my tee shot and the disc broke into 2 separate pieces. NEITHER of the 2 pieces landed in the basket on my shot, but what would you call it if one of the pieces had somehow managed to stay in and not fall through the bottom of the basket? I realize the rules say throwing a cracked disc is not allowed (which, in my case, it was). However, a disc could break in half without being cracked beforehand. I know this is all pretty unlikely, but just wanted to see what other people thought- or if anyone had experienced anything like this?

If the larger of the pieces landed in, yes it is an ace by rules because you are supposed to take the larger piece, which would be in the basket.

803.03 Marking the Lie

E. If the thrown disc breaks and comes to rest in more than one piece, the largest piece, as
agreed to by a majority of the group or an official, is deemed to be the thrown disc.

803.03 Marking the Lie

E. If the thrown disc breaks and comes to rest in more than one piece, the largest piece, as
agreed to by a majority of the group or an official, is deemed to be the thrown disc.

You and your "rules"

but what if it was half 50/50 equal?
I can just imagine someone in a tournament taking a provisional on this and taking the broken pieces back to tourney HQ to be measured, or possibly even weighed.

And to make matters worse, imagine if the unfortunate party missed their putt on the piece that landed outside the basket, meaning there would be two strokes riding on those measurements.

On a lighter note, if this happened, do your friends only sign the part of the disc that landed in the basket, and do they only owe you $3.50 each instead of the whole five bucks?
:confused:

I can just imagine someone in a tournament taking a provisional on this and taking the broken pieces back to tourney HQ to be measured, or possibly even weighed.

And to make matters worse, imagine if the unfortunate party missed their putt on the piece that landed outside the basket, meaning there would be two strokes riding on those measurements.

On a lighter note, if this happened, do your friends only sign the part of the disc that landed in the basket, and do they only owe you $3.50 each instead of the whole five bucks?
:confused:
You place it on an altar like Narsil and then later reforge it as Andúril to win the World's.

(Oh Jebus. I am a dork.)

Never fear, the white wizard is here!

Wizard_E-Series_Standard.jpg

Biggest piece if the disc is legal which its wasnt. But the biggest piece is where you take it. And yes if its half and half, you win a million dollars!

Latest posts