• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brown Deer Park Closed - Milwaukee

tkieffer

A head's up, Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee was closed a couple of days ago. The course was pulled as basket #16 was stolen last Thursday. Please keep an eye open for this basket, and the sooner we get it back the sooner the course goes back in.

T. Kieffer

There has been talk to remove all the Milwaukee course baskets too, actually the idea had a lot of support....

Wow, I'm glad I finally played it about 2 weeks ago. I heard about the stolen basket last weekend from some guy while I was playing Dretzka. He said the course might be closed, but I guess I didn't really believe him. It's a great course, I hope they get the basket back. :(

We can only hope that the person who stole it uses it, and just doesn't let it sit there. :mad:

Seriously, though, that sucks guys. Sorry to hear it. I liked that course a lot, not cool. :(

There has been talk to remove all the Milwaukee course baskets too, actually the idea had a lot of support....

It would certainly be a major loss if Dretzka and Brown Deer were permanently closed.

Must be something in the water up there. Maybe some rotten cheese? :gross:

If I remember correctly, the same thing happened at Valley View earlier this year.

In all seriousness, I hope the basket is located and returned ASAP. Time for some peer pressure!!!

MOHERFUCEINGSAKJfip!@#u(#$!%^_#$@@@@@qc) wmg(iw*(#@_(%u
q# w*u%_w
215U94813U
2U54WU'RIOEWUQRIPO34U095328795012-83509842938957-3298093283092389#@%%$&%$@%@#$
^#$^
#$^
^
%$&
$&
&
$
&#&@
#$$@
^
e*uq%_(w$up% #@_%)(#$* #u$(!#@*u%_
(1 3425U9342 U5913U582

SERIOUSLY BROWN DEER IS NOT A COURSE TO MESS WITH !!!! WHY BROWN DEER !!!!! WHY!!!!!

IF BROWN DEER GETS PERMANENTLY CLOSED I WILL GO ON A RAMPAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BET IT WAS SOME F$@KING HIPSTERS FROM ESTABROOK THAT HEARD TALK OF A COURSE IN BROWN DEER AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL TO HAVE THEIR ON BASKET, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****ING CHUCKERS HAVE NO RESPECT, AND THEY ARE SO DUMB THAT THEY DONT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT OUR SPORT THAT MOMMY AND DADDYS CREDIT CARD CAN BUY THEM A BASKET AND THEY DONT NEED TO THINK THEY ARE COOL AND STEAL FROM THE PUBLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US BACK OUR BASKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More bad news . . . apparently another basket was stolen (or removed for some other reason) at UW Whitewater as was witnessed by another local disc golfer. Apparently #4 is missing although he is the first to mention it so it could possibly be out for maintenance or some other reason . . . although unlikely. He also has been playing a long time and I know that he has said multiple times about how SE Wisconsin experiences a rash of basket thefts a few years back something like 8 baskets stolen in 1 summer.

Right now I know of
Valley View #16 (Was returned 24-36 hours after pulling the course)
UW Whitewater #4
Brown Deer #16 (Course was just pulled yesterday so hopefully it will find its way home, but it is less likely than the one taken from Valley View in my opinion)

More bad news . . . apparently another basket was stolen (or removed for some other reason) at UW Whitewater as was witnessed by another local disc golfer. Apparently #4 is missing although he is the first to mention it so it could possibly be out for maintenance or some other reason . . . although unlikely. He also has been playing a long time and I know that he has said multiple times about how SE Wisconsin experiences a rash of basket thefts a few years back something like 8 baskets stolen in 1 summer.

Right now I know of
Valley View #16 (Was returned 24-36 hours after pulling the course)
UW Whitewater #4
Brown Deer #16 (Course was just pulled yesterday so hopefully it will find its way home, but it is less likely than the one taken from Valley View in my opinion)

Okay played WW about a month back and I was literally the only person on the course all day so def don't doubt one is gone but seriously if "I" remember correctly, #4 was out of the ground already and practically laying on the ground, it was an interesting hole to play to say the least hahaha.

Now some you may wisco players see why I created the "best way to prevent stolen baskets" thread. this is bull****, bottom line bull****

Mike do u think a fundraiser for trail cams could work out????

Personally I am going to look into GPS trackers (like geocahcers use), to see if it is a reasonable option for us to protect our baskets.

Is someone else going to work on this problem, have been thinking about the GPS idea for awhile now and don't want to waste the time doing the research and the effort and have someone else trying to do it at the same time.

Mark just updated the info on my post at pdga.com. The Brown Deer basket was taken on Tuesday the 26th between 2:00-5:00 PM, possibly hidden in the woods somewhere until it could be picked up that night once it got dark.

By the way, the post above blaming people who throw at Estabrook and stereotyping them as well ... not cool!

man i play estabrook all the time, and see what kind of cats are playing the course, if u think it wasnt chuckers ur crazed, it obviously wasnt scrappers, when was the last time a basket was jacked from brown deer?

Drove up to play Brown Deer this afternoon, was disappointed to see it got pulled. I actually played the singles league round with Mark at Dretzka, hopefully his reward for the basket helps get it back. just driving through the park Brown Deer looked like an awesome course.

wow that really sux. i bet its scrappers. times are tough people will steal easily stolen things to get money. having helped install baskets it is pathetic how they are 'protected'. theres alot they could be done to make them more secure. someone whose half way intelligent could steal a basket in a few minutes with simple hand tools.

fundraiser tournament to replace the basket for the park district. show them that the community cares. do a 50/50 ctp at MXG this weekend. im sure youll get the money easy to buy a new basket for them.

I believe that pulling the baskets when a basket is stolen is a stupid idea. The fact that it worked at Valley View is making everyone think that it will work at Brown Deer. It was a miracle that the Valley View basket was returned by pulling the baskets. Here are the reasons pulling the baskets doesn't work:

1) If a disc golfer stole a basket from a course, it probably isn't his or her home course and doesn't care about the course.

2) If the person stole the basket for scrap, then the person could care less about the course going back in.

3) By making an example by pulling the course when a basket gets stolen, you set a precedent that the course will get pulled whenever a basket is stolen. Therefore, if somebody doesn't like the disc golfers in their park, all they have to do is steal a basket and the disc golfers go away with the course.

4) Disc golfers who drive from far away are disappointed when they reach the park to see that it is closed.

I am not saying that the basket should be replaced without any action. But pulling the course and the talk of having stay out until the basket returns is going to hurt the disc golf community. Maybe pull all Milwaukee courses!!! You don't know the kind of resentment will occur if they pull all of the courses for the rest of the summer if someone stole the basket for good. I don't know if you would fill another tournament in the Milwaukee area for awhile.

There needs to be a better solution. I like some of the ideas on here about GPS and things, but that is for preventative measures or solutions for the future. What can we do NOW to satisfy the disc golf community, but make it also a harsh punishment for stealing a basket?

I have come up with one solution that might work, but it would also hurt disc golfers financially. First of all, replace the basket. Second, make the course pay to play, $5.00 per day for example, until the basket is paid off. Of course, there would have to be someone out there enforcing this until you had enough money, but this does seem like a viable solution.

Does anybody else have any other good solutions?

Actually, I don't think you need to even replace the basket until you have the funds from the pay to play idea. Having them skip the hole because the basket is missing will remind them where their money is going.