• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the Rast-bag

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Trying to start building a sensible bag. Relatively new player, with about 4 months (+/- 20 years) experience. 50 years old, was fat and out of shape when I started to get into out in February, but much less so now. Playing daily.

Current max distance is probably ~340? on a flexed gold Saphire. Not really obsessing about distance at the moment. I care a lot more about hitting more lines and fewer trees.

Biggest current need is a fairway driver that flies like a Compass but has the speed of a Diamond. The Diamond was perfect, but then I seemed to find another gear in my arm.

The bag I'm going to list are discs I actually use regularly. I've got more, but these are the discs that are 99% of what I throw. Starred indicates I'm not really happy with disc.

Current "bagged" discs -
Putter: ProD Challenger - 174g
Utility Approach: Electron Soft Atom - 159g
Stable Approach: XSoft Challenger - 173g
US approach: Gold Pure - 175g
OS/ Forehand Approach: Z Zone* - 173g
S Mid: Gold Compass - 174g
US Mid: Star Wombat3 - 171g
OS/Forehand Mid: Z Buzzz OS* - 175g
S Fairway: ? Star Leopard3* - 154g
US Fairway: Gold Diamond - 156g
OS Fairway: GStar Teebird - 167g
"OS" Distance: Gold Saphire - 159g
(guessing this is at the end of my arm speed ATM)

The Zone is fine on a forehand, but I do not like it's ground play. Has a real tendency to get up on edge and roll far when the green is hard.

The Buzzz OS just feels a shade too beefy, maybe. Just find myself being a tad reluctant.

The Leo3 I put in there for lack of being able to put anything else there. But in premium plastic , it's actually a tad too OS. Plus for some reason I have issues with getting a consistent release point.

Maybe a Hatchet? A Jade? An Instinct?

Hit me, DGCR.

Things I forgot to put in:
Male, age 50.
No injuries, but FHs make my arm sore,
Mostly RHBH. Some RHFH for shot shape, OH for escapes.
I throw that XSoft Challenger about 200, not sure max distance.
Hard to say what I average the Saphire. Too many trees and elevation changes on the courses I play. Maybe about 270.

I love the Jade. Goldline 155g. I also love the Leopard as it flies like a slower Jade, same kind of S turn. Try Pro plastic instead of Champion in the high 160s. Both of these are staples in my bag. Also, you need a Comet because Comets are amazing!

I am 52, been playing 4 years, not a ton of distance but my accuracy and putting are pretty strong.

Have fun and if you are ever in Greensboro, hit me up for a round.

I love the Jade. Goldline 155g. I also love the Leopard as it flies like a slower Jade, same kind of S turn. Try Pro plastic instead of Champion in the high 160s. Both of these are staples in my bag. Also, you need a Comet because Comets are amazing!

I am 52, been playing 4 years, not a ton of distance but my accuracy and putting are pretty strong.

Have fun and if you are ever in Greensboro, hit me up for a round.

I have 2020 MJ Comet. It just can't kick my Wombat3 out.

I don't want an S flight. I want that straight push I get out of the Compass. Maybe that's not possible, but I'm holding out for it.

I'm playing Cedarock and Wellspring tomorrow, if you are in to socially/physically distanced DG.

Z wasp for OS mid. Kick the Buzzz OS out.

I like Stags better than Hatchets.

I throw a Zflx Zone for OS approaches. Doesn't roll away as much as my Z did, but a jawbreaker is probably even better, never thrown one. Ringer GT is good too.

I agree about a Pro leo or leo3. Won't be nearly as OS.

Z wasp for OS mid. Kick the Buzzz OS out.

I throw a Zflx Zone for OS approaches. Doesn't roll away as much as my Z did, but a jawbreaker is probably even better, never thrown one. Ringer GT is good too.

I agree about a Pro leo or leo3. Won't be nearly as OS.

I was looking at Infinite discs, and the flight chart they have for the Stag is pretty close to what I am looking for. May have to see about grabbing one.

Good point about the plastic on the Zone, although the Challenger I have in the Z Flex is sorta "meh". Maybe I need to try and throw that again, just to see if I think it would work. Not a huge fan of the Jawbreaker plastic I have thrown, also kinda meh. I wonder what the Titanium compares to?

I have a Ringer GT in ProD. It doesn't seem all that beefy?

My Ringer GT is Zflx and it's like a baby Zone. I still bag the Zone over it though. The Zflx kind of absorbs the ground hit better. I had similar issues to you with my Z.

As far as the Stag goes, I can't recommend that disc enough. I have 3 VIPs and love them. Very workable drivers. I have a few Hatchets too, I just like the Stag better. Hatchets can get a little squirrelly after a bit.

I picked up a DD Fuzion Verdict - 170G from Monocacy that I gave a whirl today. That fit perfectly in the slot to replace the Buzzz OS.

The Stag is very likely to be the neutral fairway I was looking for. Threw a bunch of practice shots with it today and the good throws were exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful disc, too.

I found an R-Pro Pig at PIAS yesterday and that went in the bag and it is absolutely perfect for that slot in my bag. Threw a bunch of practice shots and threw it on a couple of holes today where I was pinched off and it probably saved me a stroke. I can tell I'll get on well with this disc. Ugly disc, just like its name. ;)

Stags are so underrated imo. They are very neutral, but they'll hold any line you put them on. They're a thing of beauty, you'll love it.

That's funny you ended up with a Pig too. That's what I was using a couple years ago. Really good disc for upshots for me. I switched to the Zflx Zone mostly because I prefer the feel of premium plastic. You can't go wrong with either though, different strokes and all.

Stags are so underrated imo. They are very neutral, but they'll hold any line you put them on. They're a thing of beauty, you'll love it.

That's funny you ended up with a Pig too. That's what I was using a couple years ago. Really good disc for upshots for me. I switched to the Zflx Zone mostly because I prefer the feel of premium plastic. You can't go wrong with either though, different strokes and all.

Not sure what exactly R-Pro is, but I really like the feel of it. Sort of a comfy, grippy, dead solid feel.

The only R pro I have is a couple pigs and a dart. I thought it was only for putters but I guess they make drivers in it too. Didn't know that. Anyway, it's a nice feeling putter plastic. It's actually pretty durable in my experience. My wife putted with an R pro dart for years.

Count me in on the Pig for upshots and flicks too.

As for the longer stuff, I've really grown to love the CD2. The "G" plastic is light but durable and fairly grippy. My most beat in one is straight with just a bit of tail at the end. Newer "S" one is reliably OS for me. And I like both of those Discmania plastics.

I guess I'm going to turn this into a progress journal, of sorts, unless that properly goes somewhere else.

Current "bagged" discs -
Putter: ProD Challenger - 174g

Utility Approach: Electron Soft Atom - 159g
Stable Approach: XSoft Challenger - 173g
US approach: Gold Pure - 175g
- I actually have two of these now, although I'm likely to pare it down to one. The "red" burst one was actually more like "leaf brown burst" and was impossible to find in the woods. The new Rebacca Cox EcoDye one is just a tad stiffer.
OS/ Forehand Approach: cryZtal Flx Zone - 173g
- Replaced the pig and went back to a zone because the Ledgestone offering was in Z Flx and the Zone forehands easier than the Pig. Not sure I'm 100% on this change, but it played nice today.

S Mid: Gold Compass - 174g
US Mid: Star Wombat3 - 171g
OS/Forehand Mid: Fuzion Evidence - 169g

S Fairway: Tournament Stag - 167g
US Fairway: Tournament Hatchet - 167g
- I've heard this described as a cheat code for disc golf. I have to agree.

More US Fairway: GStar Roadrunner - 148g
- Not sure if this will stay, or has too much overlap with the Hatchet but it is a lovely disc

OS Fairway: Champion Teebird - 164g
-Lost my GStar Teebird, which makes me sad

"OS" Distance: Opto Saphire - 159g
- The gold was a little flippier than I wanted as it beat in. I mostly save this for flex lines when needed.

I took all this and shot +1 from the Whites at Leigh Farm DGC today. That was my lowest by 4 strokes on that layout, although I was playing a slightly modified one because I was playing the tournament layout I will be playing on Sunday. This will be my first tournament. Hope I don't barf, figuratively or literally.

Starting to find the proper way to achieve my desired release point with a new swing. Hopefully that will stand up under pressure.

One of the things I'm currently wondering about is "speed gapping" and whether that is a thing. Is there too much overlap between the Evidence and Teebird? Should I be looking at a Speed 9 disc in that slot? Probably overthinking it, but that is my way.

S Fairway: Tournament Stag - 167g
US Fairway: Tournament Hatchet - 167g
- I've heard this described as a cheat code for disc golf. I have to agree.

Stag/Hatchet is such a great combo. I bagged Escape/Hatchet for a couple years, but the Escape was just a smidgen too fast for the stable fairway role. Stags are perfect.

Latest posts