• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Burgundy?

tyler_580

I was just wondering to get burgendy if I can leave the disc in the red dye longer than normal or if I had to do something special?

Also do you guys think if I had burgundy done and then dyed yellow if it would mess up the burgundy? Tis my first multicolor I am about to attempt

The colors are for fabric and there are some variations on what they will do to plastic. For example teal is much closer to blue than the green that they show. Getting the old dye is a given.

so you guys are saying to get burgundy basicly just dye and pray.lol
i was considering dyeing the red and then dipping it for a little bit into black to darken the red? anythought?

also do you guys think it would be wise to dye the yellow over the burgundy?

I've dyed yellow over scarlet. turned out just fine. As for black over red. Never done it. A good part of learning to dye is just trying something and seeing if it works. Sometimes it does and you learn something new. Sometimes it doesn't and you learn something new.:rolleyes:

I've done a lot of crimson/ maroon/ burgundy colors. I've used Scarlet + Wine, I've used Scarlet then a timed dip in Black, I've used Pearl Gray over Scarlet, all have worked very well.

I was just wondering to get burgendy if I can leave the disc in the red dye longer than normal or if I had to do something special?

Also do you guys think if I had burgundy done and then dyed yellow if it would mess up the burgundy? Tis my first multicolor I am about to attempt

I will answer the second part first. Normally you work from the lightest to the darkest colors, so you would do the yellow first, then the red.
The red will dye over the yellow just fine.

Now as to the first part, use the darker red they call Scarlet, and leave the disc in a while, you should should get the deep color you are looking for.

You DO NOT want to dip black after, you will end up with black that way, not burgundy. Pearl Grey comes out dark purple sometimes, so you could try some of that with the Scarlet.

Not sure what you are thinking there Jack, the red will dye over the yellow, completely, I don't think that's what he wants. And I think the scarlet will only get a deeper richer scarlet, never burgundy, no matter how long you leave it.

I personally will mix pre-mixed dye til I get the shade I want, don't have a burgundy yet but I do have a nice maroon, it's scarlet and a little black, so I'm not sure if black is what you want to add. I also would probably add some blue but Bennett gets great colors, his advice is always worth listening to (and will save you some dye). And then I would not hesitate to dye yellow after, I would expect the change in the burgundy to be minimal and you'll have yellow too!

The colors are for fabric and there are some variations on what they will do to plastic. For example teal is much closer to blue than the green that they show. Getting the old dye is a given.

This is true if your mixing a full packet of Rit. If you follow the 1 tbs recommendation you get a color similar tongue one posted on the chart

thank you bennett i was hoping i would be able to do a timed dip in black to get the darker red because like dan suggested i really would not have top ruin my scarlet color. and ya i agree with you dan idk what jack was talking about dyeing the red over top of the yellow.

thanks for all the positive info though this disc is for my girlfriend and i really would rather not fudge it up. i will post a pic up later if it turns out nice.

I always do short dips of additional colors for shading and tinting like that.
I'd personally do a deep Wine dip and then a few seconds (check and repeat if necessary) of Cocoa Brown. An especially long Wine might get you there as well.

well here is how it ended up turning out. i am fairly disapointed to say the least because of the small bleeds here and there i got, and to how little the yellow dye took...im not sure but i dont think my mixtures of dye and water are potent enough because whenever i dye it seems to always take way longer than it should be and the colors just arnt very vibraint or crisp. what is your guys mixture ratio for a pouch of rit dye?

(the darker colored red spotch and the part at the top that looks shiny is just cuz it was still a little wet from the rinse)
100_1014.jpg

Looks like it's the disc itself that's the problem -- if it's soft like the stamp says, that's the clue right there -- soft plastic just doesn't as well to dyeing as the premium blends.

Heh ya it's a putter. Apx soft putter I do belive. But it is elite x plastic and I had done a comet of the same plastic with marbling so I had figured the plastic would take the same...

Latest posts