• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying New Discs?

xJediDadx

I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan and I found a site that has a couple of Star Wars themed dyed discs that I want to get.

They put the dyes on Innova plastic, either Star, Blizzard, Starlite, Gstar or Champion

As a n00b to the sport still, what would be the best one of those plastic types to get?

I'm still waiting on my Christmas present which is an Innova Starter kit from Academy which from what I can tell is on Champion plastic and comes with these discs; Innova Birdie Putter, Shark Midrange, Archangel Fairway Driver and Valkyrie Distance Driver.

Thoughts?

Marshall Street Disc Golf also has a lot of great dyes from all different manufacturers, including some Star Wars dyes. Almost all dyes will be on Premium plastic, so it won't wear of ding up as easily.

One of my personal favorites:
-944137753648529151_1.jpg

For Innova, Blizzard and Starlite will be lighter weight (typically less stable but can be easier to throw lighter weights) Champion is a more firm and translucent plastic, Star and G-Star (or Gummy Star) will be opaque and softer. It totally depends on what feels best in your hand. It might be good to go to this site's "Course Map" and click the box for "view stores" to find a local disc golf store so you can feel each different type of plastic.

Cheers, mate.

Those disc are fine. Start with the Shark, you may find it to be the most forgiving of all your discs. Work the drivers in later once you get a little distance and control with the Shark.

Good luck

I would recommend locking in some molds first. If you find a putter that you like, you could get a premium plastic one for driving off the tee with. Just a note, learn to love the putter - it's not just for putting - if you practice with driving your putter, it will translate into the mids and drivers. See if locals have discs you can try out for a round or two. When you find a few you like, order them in premium plastic - if you are going to get them dyed, the stamp will be wiped, so factory seconds are cheap, and you get more bang for your buck.

Dyeing only works well on premium plastics. I would recommend watching on ebay, or check out the marketplace. Also, post in the disc dyeing section if you want a custom one done. There are some talented dyers out there.

Finally, depending on your course type, the premium plastic takes tree hits, road rash, etc better then the baseline plastic - so it's dyeable and durable.

Blizzard is a lightweight variant of Champion.
Starlite is a lightweight variant of Star.
G-Star is a variant of Star for cold/wet conditions.

I'm guessing your starter pack is in DX (base) plastic if it has an Archangel--I don't think those are made in any other plastic.

All else equal, lighter weights are easier to throw farther and straighter than heavier ones, and Star is easier to throw farther and straighter than Champion.

As a noob with a weak arm, I find Champion drivers over 160 grams pretty damn hard to throw well.

What are you throwing right now? I've got a few Star Wars discs, but they're gonna be too much for a beginner. Where at in TX are you located? I may be able to ship you some beginner friendly discs I have at the house collecting dust.

Right now I'm just throwing around a Buzzz that I bought at Academy. I'll get the rest of my discs on Friday for Christmas.

I'm in Corpus Christi

I got my set finally for Christmas. It's all DX plastic.

I haven't thrown any of them yet, but I'm planning on it today after work at the park by my house. They're all weighted similarly too and a bit lighter then the Buzzz (177+) I have.

Valkyrie (167)
Shark (165)
Cheetah (166)
Birdie (168)

Wonder why Innova is calling that a 'champion' starter set when its with DX discs. Apparently there's a three disc version that doesn't have the Valk and has an Aviar in place of the Birdie.

http://www.amazon.com/Innova-Champion-Disc-Golf-Starter/dp/B006KU1US0

Personally, I thought the traditional Leopard-Shark-Aviar sets have a more beginner appropriate lineup, albeit many of them were with 150 class discs.

Still haven't had a chance to throw them. Crappy weather here started yesterday and wont be clearing up anytime soon and I'm not gonna go out and throw wet discs.

Probably because innova champion discs is the name of the company.

A bunch of there products say innova champion.
Yes, but they also have a more durable type of plastic called Champion, and make a 3 disc starter set with that plastic, which this particular set might get confused with.

I initially thought that set was the one that the OP was talking about, until he mentioned the 'Champion' Archangel, which doesn't exist. Confusing new players to me isn't a good way to promote your brand, especially when there are words like 'Super' or 'Deluxe' and several others they could have used to describe this set.

I suppose to those of us in the know, it really doesn't matter. Not too many seasoned players would buy something with a Birdie or Archangel in it.

Last edited:
It's all confusing to me still with the different brands and the multiple types of plastic that each brand uses. I know once I get into it more it'll start to become clear to me.

It's all confusing to me still with the different brands and the multiple types of plastic that each brand uses. I know once I get into it more it'll start to become clear to me.
The general rule of thumb is the premium plastics (like your Buzzz) are more durable and will last longer, hence they cost more money. The DX discs in your starter set are meant for people starting out or who aren't serious players, hence the cheaper per disc price, but they'll ding up and need replacement faster, especially the drivers.

Either way you decide to go, expect to buy more discs in the future.