• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

California courses

I am biased in this opinion but I would say the Monterey Bay area. DeLaveaga, Oaks, Pinto Lake, Ryan Ranch, Black Mouse, Cypress, Aptos High and a couple smaller courses. Reasonable lodgings can be found in that area. Find somewhere to stay in Watsonville and you should be in great shape and save a little coin. I am now living in the Central Valley a hundred miles away otherwise I would offer you lodging. Hope this was helpful.

Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.

Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.

I agree with this. Great courses and cheaper lodging than alot of Cali. If your vacation is in may-oct come to tahoe and play 9 courses and camp. Or there is reasonable lodging all around the courses. There's also the option of staying in Reno and driving a half hour up to the lake.

When are you going, that matters. Santa Cruz Monterey are expensive in summer. Grass and Penn and Auburn are close to the snow line in winter.
There is a Motel 6 in Watsonville that is about $50 a night just minutes from Pinto. Ryan and Oaks and 3o minutes south tops and Dela, Aptos are less than that traveling north.

Big question...Have you ever visited CA before and if not, do you want to actually do anything while visiting or just play Disc Golf?

If you've never been here before, you should fly into San Jose and then hit the coast and play all the Monterey/Watsonville/Santa Cruz courses, check out the ocean, eat some good seafood, etc.

Or, you could fly into San Francisco, stay at a motel in Daly City or somewhere cheaper than SF, and play Golden Gate Park, Stafford Lake, Skyline, Moraga, and enjoy some fun in San Francisco.

If you've done the tourist thing, or just want to play a lot of courses, then fly into Sacramento and stay in a cheaper neighboring town (Dixon, Roseville, Loomis, Auburn) and play all the great courses up that way - Shady Oaks, Condon Park, Auburn Regional, Hanging Oaks, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want further info. Born and raised in CA, and I've played most all the local courses in Norcal.

Tim S.

Main reason is disc golfing and to catch up with a few friends, was thinking Monterey before I posted, may have a free place to stay there and usually can get a cheap flight there from Chicago.

If course flow matters, some courses are relatively open all the time (Ryan Ranch, Oaks, Pinto Lake), others are usually crowded and slow moving (Delaveaga, etc).

A few things that would help:
- what time of year will your trip be?
- where do your friends live?
- how long of a trip? how many courses do you want to play?

I would suggest northern cali over southern cali. as there are more courses i think with better quality and its easier to get around. You cant go wrong with monterey bay or bay area. can't give word on sacramento.

Tahoe is an amazing place for a vacation in general, and the dg is awesome.

Cities below have an abundant amount of disc golf

Redding
Ukiah
Grass Valley
Sacramento
Santa Cruz
Monteray
Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido all in line of one another
Humboldt county
Visalia area
Pasadena, Sylmar, LA all in line
La Mirada, Long Beach, Huntington Beach all in line

All have a bunch of golf.

Surprised I left out Bakersfield. I'm slipping.

If I were to go vacationing in Cali what area has the best courses and affodable lodging?

Being from the area, Santa Cruz/ Monterey is by FAR the best. S.F. is pretty amazing too but overwhelming if from out of town. A LOT of one ways in S.F. No matter where you visit in those areas, food, DG and beaches are all beautiful!

Cities below have an abundant amount of disc golf

Redding
Ukiah
Grass Valley
Sacramento
Santa Cruz
Monteray
Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido all in line of one another
Humboldt county
Visalia area
Pasadena, Sylmar, LA all in line
La Mirada, Long Beach, Huntington Beach all in line

All have a bunch of golf.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention Humboldt. :\

But seriously, what time of year makes a big difference in where you should go.

I know there are plenty of places to choose, but I would stay in the Auburn area. That way you are semi close to the Tahoe courses as well as the local courses (Penn, Condon etc..). Plus you just can't beat the beauty of Lake Tahoe!
After spending time there, zip over to the coast. Play S.F. and then jet down to Santa Cruz.

Big question...Have you ever visited CA before and if not, do you want to actually do anything while visiting or just play Disc Golf?

If you've never been here before, you should fly into San Jose and then hit the coast and play all the Monterey/Watsonville/Santa Cruz courses, check out the ocean, eat some good seafood, etc.

Or, you could fly into San Francisco, stay at a motel in Daly City or somewhere cheaper than SF, and play Golden Gate Park, Stafford Lake, Skyline, Moraga, and enjoy some fun in San Francisco.

If you've done the tourist thing, or just want to play a lot of courses, then fly into Sacramento and stay in a cheaper neighboring town (Dixon, Roseville, Loomis, Auburn) and play all the great courses up that way - Shady Oaks, Condon Park, Auburn Regional, Hanging Oaks, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want further info. Born and raised in CA, and I've played most all the local courses in Norcal.

Tim S.

Can't go wrong with this area of Cali. A nice change from Michigan for me. I think the addition of San Fran to hang, eat and check out makes this great. Dela, Ryan Ranch, Black Mouse are not too bad of a drive. We split time this spring, a few days in San Jose and a few in San Fran. I would ultimately pick Stafford, Skyline and GGP over the more southern courses like Dela, Black Mouse...

Lets not forget paragrine point and lava creek here in Chico and paradise.

Though those are fun courses, it probably wouldn't be enough to warrant making that a destination area for someone who is coming in to CA from another state.

Latest posts