• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

California courses

I agree that Tahoe provides a great vacation in general, not to mention the awesome mountain golf up there.

It might have been the gloomy weather but our group was a little underwhelmed when we vacationed in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area.

Southern California is a good choice if you plan on doing other Southern California things, or if you are just ready for the truth that we have by far the best variety of courses in the state :)

Southern California is a good choice if you plan on doing other Southern California things, or if you are just ready for the truth that we have by far the best variety of courses in the state :)

That's a prety big claim to make. Especaily if you haven't played Humboldt area...:\

SoCal is far more diverse than Humboldt. We have a bunch of pitch n' putts, some old school fun par 54s, Yucaipa, LaMa, Wrightwood and Goat Hill.

Humboldt isn't diverse at all. You just have a bunch of great courses...

SoCal is far more diverse than Humboldt. We have a bunch of pitch n' putts, some old school fun par 54s, Yucaipa, LaMa, Wrightwood and Goat Hill.

Humboldt isn't diverse at all. You just have a bunch of great courses...

LMAO. This is a great post! :thmbup:

How many public courses are there exactly in Humboldt County?

This is a great argument. Kinda like a bunch of rich guys arguing over who has the hottest trophy wife or Italian car. Nice. Carry on... :popcorn:

Courses that any person can get on without having to pay a membership, kill a small animal to prove worthiness to the disc gods, know someone who knows another that knows the owner the private course. Paying is fine if anyone can get on. I'm assuming courses like Ammon ranch and fieldbrook are not public. I also know there are 20+ other private courses that aren't public, but we'll say Birds does count as public in a way that if you plan accordingly you might get on. Ok what's the count? I'm bias to this discussion over who's the best and I have played both areas. There completely different.

Well, animal sacrafice is an essetial part of getting on to play some of our courses. Everyone needs to sacrafice at least one ram before they can play out at Ammon. So let's just count our listed courses and call that good. There is The Redwood Curtain (1), Pump Station #4 (2), Manila (3), Coopers Gulch (4), CR (5), Willow Creek (6), Bridgeville (7), BOP (8), and Garberville (9). There are also some practice courses, but they don't really count in my oppinion. But like you said, if you know the right people there are lots more.

making a trip out from centralia, il. to l.a. saturday before until saturday after x-mas.
plan on playing coyote point on sunday. LaMirada thursday. hoping to squeeze in oak park, then verdugo hills and sylmar friday. excited as hell to play some new courses. can't wait to get back on La mirada. this is the course that introduced me to the sport. haven't been back to or played there since 1990.

^^^^You should be able to get all those in. Lots of great golf down there in the LA area. Have fun.

You have many options to choose from here in beautiful California!

Can't go wrong with Monterrey Bay Area, Tahoe or Humboldt County! Just watch out for poison oak

Although Tahoe is the bomb, if you're coming in the winter I would stick to the route 1 corridor: Stafford, GGP, Dela, Pinto, Ryan Ranch, and the Oaks. It would be difficult to beat that 6 course lineup.

Crescent City (Del Norte County, but we can claim it)
Steelhead (Willow Creek)
Mad River Pump #4
Redwood Curtain
Manilla Bay
Cooper Gulch
Eureka High School? Not sure if that counts as "public"
College of the Redwoods
BOP
Garberville (not worthy right now but big plans for the spring)

Not very many, but I bet per capita we are doing pretty good :)

Oh, and 2 new courses could possibly be in the works. McKinleyville and Fortuna. We shall see though.

Simply because I started the rivalry in this thread, I will lay a basis for my claim. Instead of naming courses, I will provide a list of categories we offer:

-Long Flat Park Course
-Long Hilly Park Course
-Short Hilly Park Course
-Hilly with variety in length Park Course
-Wide open Park Course
-Somewhat wooded Park Course
-Extremely wooded ridge course
-Flat wooded course
-Somewhat hilly wooded course
-Half Park Half Wooded Course
-Alpine Mountain Course
-Coastal Hills Course
-Course with a lake
-Very Long Ball Golf Course
-Pitch and Putt Ball Golf Course
-Tweener Ball Golf Course
-Mid-Length Course with a lake
-Course that's lit until 9:30PM
-9 Hole course that's lit and open till 1AM
-Busy Park Course
-Deserted Park Course

I have no doubt that the courses are excellent in Humbolt, and it's true that I have never been there. I also have to back Lion up in saying that you don't have to know anybody to play our best courses as you apparently do up north. I just wanted to say that so far, out of all the places I have traveled to, we have the most diverse variety in California. I would *love* to be proven wrong!

Even with our variety, though, nothing beats Tahoe in my book. It's the bees knees.

Last edited:
Simply because I started the rivalry in this thread, I will lay a basis for my claim. Instead of naming courses, I will provide a list of categories we offer:

-Long Flat Park Course
-Long Hilly Park Course
-Short Hilly Park Course
-Hilly with variety in length Park Course
-Wide open Park Course
-Somewhat wooded Park Course
-Extremely wooded ridge course
-Flat wooded course
-Somewhat hilly wooded course
-Half Park Half Wooded Course
-Alpine Mountain Course
-Coastal Hills Course
-Course with a lake
-Very Long Ball Golf Course
-Pitch and Putt Ball Golf Course
-Tweener Ball Golf Course
-Mid-Length Course with a lake
-Course that's lit until 9:30PM
-9 Hole course that's lit and open till 1AM
-Busy Park Course
-Deserted Park Course

I have no doubt that the courses are excellent in Humbolt, and it's true that I have never been there. I also have to back Lion up in saying that you don't have to know anybody to play our best courses as you apparently do up north. I just wanted to say that so far, out of all the places I have traveled to, we have the most diverse variety in California. I would *love* to be proven wrong!

Even with our variety, though, nothing beats Tahoe in my book. It's the bees knees.

Well, plan yourself a nice long trip next summer and I'll see if I can do just that.

Latest posts