• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Callous on index finger is this normal?

newhuck

Bogey Member
I have developed a callous on my index finger from disc golf. I throw RHBH mostly with occasional FH. Is this a sign of bad technique or nothing to worry about? It is not painful, but is definitely noticeable. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

thats a good place to develop a callus. most of the big guns i know use that spot as their traction point and often get blood blisters there. if youre beating that spot up, youre probably doing something right. how deep are you putting them out?

Mine is from forehand throws.
It's permanent.
It actually extends across a crease line in my skin, and when I throw too many really hard drives, it splits and bleeds.
Removing any flashing from a disc before throwing it helps alot, and now I'm smart enough to carry moleskin in my bag, to tape my finger up when it starts to get red and angry looking.

I was just thinking about this today actually. My finger is starting to get one and I'm pretty sure it's from throwing my new DX XD, it's got a pretty rough edge, so I'm sure that's why.

I've got a callus on index finger from BH, and middle finger from FH. They are good to have when you play often.

Count me in on the "I've got a callous on my index finger" club. It's been there since the summer, shortly after I started playing. I too am glad it's a callous and not a blister. Actually, now that I think about it, it started forming after I quit throwing so much FH, and concentrated on learning to throw BH.

I have a good thick callous on my index finger, and it stuck around through the winter even without playing many rounds. It'll get sore if I play a ton (90+ holes multiple days in a row), but other than that I never notice it.

thats a good place to develop a callus. most of the big guns i know use that spot as their traction point and often get blood blisters there. if youre beating that spot up, youre probably doing something right. how deep are you putting them out?

I am putting them out around 300 feet occasionally longer. I practice my drives alot when waiting for the kids to get out of school etc. I do put my index and remaining fingers under the rim. Just glad to hear that I may be doing something right. I really suck at putting but my drives are decent, at least for an old guy, 41.

I started playing last summer and have the same callous developing quite nicely. I got about a week straight and the crease in my first knuckle has a nice paper cut so i just slapped some liquid skin on and grin and bear it. The way I play if I dont bleed a little each round Im not trying hard enough. mostly briars

Same story here, it seems...developed a blood blister from playing like 3-4 rounds in a row, on a course that had me throwing mostly forehand drives. After covering it for a while, it settled into a nice callous that remains. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

I always get one on my middle finger (RHBH)

You must not keep your index finger under the rim?

I have one at towards the base of my middle finger, too. It's from throwing my Aviars for short drives and approaches. I use it for most every shot under 225'.

I have my index finger on the rim and the middle finger is the first one wrapped under the disc. Because it's a little uncomfortable at times, I just started practicing using the power grip on these shots, too. It's working out well so far.

I had one last summer but didn't play enough over the winter so it went away.

I developed a callous on my middle finger when I got a KC Pro Aviar. That big ole bead tears my hand up.

Me Three. I have a callous on the side of my index finger... in the middle section of it... however, closer to the crease for the tip.

And... I also have one on my palm where my middle finger would extend down to if the palm wasn't there (i.e. opposite my middle knuckle).

Both from throwing RHBH.
They don't really bug me... I bite them off every now and then... but it's not an issue. No blood blisters or anything like that.
DSCJNKY

Man...I haven't thrown any thumbers in while, until yesterday and now Im getting a callus on the outside of my thumb.

I develop a(or multiple) callouses every year. It's normal. Mine is developing now, getting a small blood blister.

I always get one on my index finger on the bend at the first knuckle and it cracks and bleeds. Takes forever to heal because of where it is... I keep medical tape in my bag.

Latest posts