• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can dyeing affect stability of a disc?

mrDROCK

Par Member
If this question has already been asked, I am sorry, I did some searching but found nothing on my own.

So do you believe the process of using chemicals to remove the stamp, scalding hot dye/water to apply ink, and flash cooling while washing the disc causes a change in the stability?

I had noticed this from two of my champion discs I dyed. The champion plastic should hold well against wear, and therefore against changes in the stability over time, but I noticed a change after they were dyed. Maybe this was immediate change, or just made the champion plastic wear in faster than normal. I had bought brand new champion discs to match the teebird and leopard I dyed. These new discs seemed far more stable than those I dyed, even though there was maybe 6 months time in between.

What do you all think?

If you over heat dye, you can flatten a disc. Which could change stability.

Also, new run discs could just be a bit more stable.

I've literally dyed hundreds of discs and never noticed a difference in flight. Except as everyone knows dyed discs fly better.

If this question has already been asked, I am sorry, I did some searching but found nothing on my own.

So do you believe the process of using chemicals to remove the stamp, scalding hot dye/water to apply ink, and flash cooling while washing the disc causes a change in the stability?

I had noticed this from two of my champion discs I dyed. The champion plastic should hold well against wear, and therefore against changes in the stability over time, but I noticed a change after they were dyed. Maybe this was immediate change, or just made the champion plastic wear in faster than normal. I had bought brand new champion discs to match the teebird and leopard I dyed. These new discs seemedfar more stable than those I dyed, even though there was maybe 6 months time in between.

What do you all think?

If you over heat dye, you can flatten a disc. Which could change stability.

Also, new run discs could just be a bit more stable.

*overstable

So... if I'm heterosexual, does that make me stable? :confused:
If I lean to the left politically, does that mean I'm overstable or undertsable? :confused:

Maybe stability is more overrated. :p

This forum's like being arrested: anything you say can and will be used against you!

Last edited:
depends what color you dye it. blue discs are more overstable and the yellow ones are really understable. avoid green.... green is the crapshoot color of stability.

depends what color you dye it. blue discs are more overstable and the yellow ones are really understable. avoid green.... green is the crapshoot color of stability.
and here I thought it was the image dyed on it that affected the stability.

Kidding aside, exposure to significant heat for any decent amount of time during the dyeing process can certainly affect the shape of the flight plate (i.e. flatness/dominess), which could definitely affect stability.

I know guys who say only ever dye new discs, because your favorite disc won't be the same after a dye job. I don't know if they are supposed to become more stable or less though. I also hear guys say to never wash your discs.

I dyed a star Mamba, and some of the turn came out of it. Only field tested it a little, so I may be wrong.
I washed my discs the day before a tourney, and hit an ace the next day.

I wash my discs in warm soapy water couple of times a year - haven't noticed any difference except they look cleaner and feel better.

Kidding aside, exposure to significant heat for any decent amount of time during the dyeing process can certainly affect the shape of the flight plate (i.e. flatness/dominess), which could definitely affect stability.

^This is what I am wondering. Anyone notice this happening to their discs?