• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can I get some feedback on my form?

Horsestanced, which means you are pushing off the back heel instead of the back foot instep/toes. Also planting with your hips open which means they are not adding to the shot. Also quite a bit of dipping in the pull. Your elbow is really low. Need to keep it higher than it feels like you should. Around nipple height.

Yeah when you go with more power you push off the heel. Your rear foot spins around rather than driving the heel/knee forward. You can also turn/reach back later as you are planting.

The door frame drill shows you how to turn back deeper and later into the plant. It may also help with setting up your arm more away from your body, to keep the upper arm and elbow out wide throughout the rest of the throw.

I don't really know if the gas pedal drill is the best next one to show, but either way it will help to illustrate how your push off the rear foot should feel to drive the knee forward, rather than having it spin in place. Don't let your foot get more than 130 or so degrees pointed backward, then it's too easy to push off the heel rather than instep.

A couple of thoughts:

• Consider taking shorter steps, especially the x-step and last step. You should be stepping sideways, not walking backwards.
  • Pay attention to the last part of your reach back. The first 75% looks good - all shoulder rotation. The last 25% looks like you are pulling the disc behind the line of play. Think about pushing your left shoulder towards the target to complete the reach back.
  • You're pulling with your arm too soon. The hip rotation should get the disc into the power pocket with your hand on the outside of the disc (at your right PEC with your elbow high and pointed at the target) before your engage your arm. Try to think of it as accelerating or exploding very late in the throw.

You might want to try slowing everything down a bit and focus on staying loose until the disc is in the power pocket, and then focus on acceleration rather than force. Muscling the disc will limit your distance.

Latest posts