• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can Mcbeth win 8 straight Wintertime Open's?

Watched R3 today. That was fun. Congrats Lance Brown. He put together a solid final round and didn't fold when the pressure got heavy. Good to see a mostly regional NC player have a breakout win.

If I knew how to make GIFs I'd make one of Eagle running to the nearby bathroom after his tap in on I believe #16.

On the topic of Eagle not being able to close out tournaments, we keep saying that the field will be in trouble when his mental game comes together, as if it's going to happen any day now. I'm still not sure when that's going to happen. He's still so young, and it shows up just enough to prevent him from winning large tournaments. That potential eagle turned double bogey was absolutely brutal. Such is the danger of being a floaty spin putter with a basket on a mound. Hard to not go for the eagle there, but it felt ironic for an aggressive decision to take him out of it after his talk of playing more conservative and "Nate Sextoning his way to victory." Not sure that he asked himself "WWSD?" on that eagle chance.

On the topic of Eagle not being able to close out tournaments, we keep saying that the field will be in trouble when his mental game comes together, as if it's going to happen any day now. I'm still not sure when that's going to happen. He's still so young, and it shows up just enough to prevent him from winning large tournaments. That potential eagle turned double bogey was absolutely brutal. Such is the danger of being a floaty spin putter with a basket on a mound. Hard to not go for the eagle there, but it felt ironic for an aggressive decision to take him out of it after his talk of playing more conservative and "Nate Sextoning his way to victory." Not sure that he asked himself "WWSD?" on that eagle chance.

Nate did say that he would run it too, or that you kind of have to in that situation and skill level. I mean I wouldn't, from that far out and elevated basket and with a little breeze...but that's why I'm some guy on a forum and Eagle is rated what he is. I know I would have a 80-90% chance of missing, and then I would have like a 70% chance of missing a long comebacker if I really ran it...so I'd just plop it under the basket. Eagle likely has an 80% chance of hitting metal. He has to try to get the tournament under control at that point. But then after you've bled 2 strokes from missing the comebacker...that gets really hard to decide what to do. Just a crappy situation and it was hard to watch.

Nate did say that he would run it too, or that you kind of have to in that situation and skill level. I mean I wouldn't, from that far out and elevated basket and with a little breeze...but that's why I'm some guy on a forum and Eagle is rated what he is. I know I would have a 80-90% chance of missing, and then I would have like a 70% chance of missing a long comebacker if I really ran it...so I'd just plop it under the basket. Eagle likely has an 80% chance of hitting metal. He has to try to get the tournament under control at that point. But then after you've bled 2 strokes from missing the comebacker...that gets really hard to decide what to do. Just a crappy situation and it was hard to watch.

time and video?

during which putt you do you think it was when he realized "im not walking away with first place anymore"

Last round performance tracks:

attachment.php

Attachments

• EFS.png
    EFS.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 294
I've got to hand it to Kevin Jones. He really improved on his abysmal first round and killed it the next two. Definitely on the up and up.

I think its over.
Congrats Lance Brown !!

Congrats indeed! I totally have that guy's old Vibram Open jacket, gonna wear that ish with pride now. (Well, except for Vibram going out of business).

Yeah, it's not surprising to see a decent NC DGer whoop up on those overrated Cali courses. :rolleyes::D

Lance does have a sick FH. Just imagine what his rating would be if he didn't throw Prodigy. :|

I don't have my rulebook in hand and am on my phone so I'm not looking it up, but...

What if Mr. Brown had been called by the card on the stance violation that Ian noticed in round three where he stepped on his disc as he putted?

Would that have been a warning or a stroke? And could it have affected his mental game either way?

Just throwing that out there for some conversation.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Paul, and wanted him to win. But watching Eagle hit tree after tree even before the putting blowup was just painful. I was really pulling for him to pull it together.

And great win for Lance.

I don't have my rulebook in hand and am on my phone so I'm not looking it up, but...

What if Mr. Brown had been called by the card on the stance violation that Ian noticed in round three where he stepped on his disc as he putted?

Would that have been a warning or a stroke? And could it have affected his mental game either way?

You can get rules on your phone, but OK:

802.07 Stance
Last updated: Friday, December 1, 2017 - 10:34

A. If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
2. Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
C. A player who violates 802.07.A or 802.07.B has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw.

801.02 Enforcement
Last updated: Friday, December 1, 2017 - 10:34

E. A call made by a player for a rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws can only be enforced if the call is confirmed by another player in the group or by a Tournament Official. A penalty throw is a throw added to a player's score for violating a rule, or for relocation of the lie as called for by a rule.

I didn't really agree with Sexton's comments that Eagle needed to keep going for it. I'd've taken the shot for the -2, but then laid up and taken the par and worked to get the win on the rest of the course. (said with perfect 20/20 hindsight...)

Last edited:
I didn't really agree with Sexton's comments that Eagle needed to keep going for it. I'd've taken the shot for the -2, but then laid up and taken the par and worked to get the win on the rest of the course. (said with perfect 20/20 hindsight...)

It's not like Eagle could have known Lance would par-out from that point (2 bogeys, 2 birdies), keeping the door open for him or Paul to make their own moves into the lead. Playing with Paul and on the cards he's been on in the last few years, you've got to expect everyone else is going to keep shooting well / under par for the rest of the round. Even if he lays up after missing the eagle and takes a par instead of double, they still only tie. You wouldn't/can't expect that from his position though.

Paul's double bogey on 13 ended it for him. Ian mentions Paul was upset throwing OB on the drive, took a really fast upshot (that the camera doesn't catch) from the DZ and it was a poor shot (putting him in the bushes past the basket). If he takes his time on that DZ shot, he sends it into extra holes.

It's not like Eagle could have known Lance would par-out from that point (2 bogeys, 2 birdies), keeping the door open for him or Paul to make their own moves into the lead. Playing with Paul and on the cards he's been on in the last few years, you've got to expect everyone else is going to keep shooting well / under par for the rest of the round. Even if he lays up after missing the eagle and takes a par instead of double, they still only tie. You wouldn't/can't expect that from his position though.

Paul's double bogey on 13 ended it for him. Ian mentions Paul was upset throwing OB on the drive, took a really fast upshot (that the camera doesn't catch) from the DZ and it was a poor shot (putting him in the bushes past the basket). If he takes his time on that DZ shot, he sends it into extra holes.

I don't disagree with you. I was just commenting on Eagle's strategy to go for it again and again... and again... :(

As to the tournament, not to take away from the winner at all, but Paul had those brutal rollaways early in the first round that cost him a couple of strokes, and had a spit-out that was painful to watch so it had to hurt more at the scene.:wall: That's the way DG goes, though. You pays your money, you throws your discs, you takes your chances...

No worries on saying that it is hot in February.

"Some of the most extreme warmth of the year so far is forecast to flood the Arctic in coming days, with a number of areas seeing temperatures that exceed 45 degrees (25 Celsius) above normal (dark pink shades below) and up to 60 degrees (34 Celsius) above normal. The mercury at the North Pole could well rise above freezing between Thursday and Sunday."

It been crazy warm the past few days in DC as well sitting in the 70's and almost 80 yesterday.

Eagle's eagle attempt didn't have to be a lazer-putt. I would have gone for it too, but I would have thrown a stall-putt that left me on the hill if I missed. Poor course management at that point of the tourney killed Eagle's chances of winning the thing.

Stall putt uphill into a headwind...is that really going for it, or is it basically a lay up? If you say you're going for it, shouldn't you be fully committed?

I don't know what the percentages are, so adjust these as needed: If your (someone rated like Eagle) normal putt has an 80% chance of making it but a 20% chance of sailing away for a 80% comebacker, would you go for it? What if your safe putt has a 20% of making it, a 60% chance of settling on the hill, and a 20% chance of rolling away due to hitting metal or the wind pushing it on edge?

Plus we have the benefit of hindsight. If things had turned out differently we might be saying stuff like, "He had a makeable eagle putt that he should have run, given his skill level and that of his cardmates."

All I'm trying to say is that Eagle needed to put some touch on that putt of his. No need to blow by ten meters every time you miss on a hill.

Latest posts