• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can Scott Stokely compete in the Open division against McBeth & Wysocki in 2015?

Well today Scott stood up Chico State disc golf club and the event they scheduled today. It was supposed to be a clinic for adapted physical education and the coordinator couldn't get in touch with him the last 4 days. Disappointing to say the least...

Ouch! That really sucks.

Well today Scott stood up Chico State disc golf club and the event they scheduled today. It was supposed to be a clinic for adapted physical education and the coordinator couldn't get in touch with him the last 4 days. Disappointing to say the least...

Growing the sport!

"Frolf" "frisbee golf" aren't derogatory either. It's not weird old Andrew Belet being a grouch, either. This is a common opinion amongst people, like me, who have many tattoos that are meaningful and have some thought put behind them. "Tats" is what people who have no respect for tattoos say. Just like "frolf"

As a person with a significant amount of tattoos and who uses the word "tats" quite often without hesitation, I now respect those with barbed wire arm bands and Taz tattoos way more thanks to Scott Stokely. It makes Mike Tyson's face tat look like a good decision.

Personally, I don't care if Scott shows up in a hula skirt, tin foil hat and chants PM's name the whole round.
Just play, follow the rules and keep score.

That's the great thing about DG, we all play the same holes, in roughly the same conditions and the lowest score wins.
Doesn't matter if you have blue hair and post silly vids on YouTube. The score is the great equalizer. If he chooses to "act out" a little by getting tattos and coloring his hair, Who Cares?
It's his life and he gets to make his own choices. Good or bad.
Ultimately, my opinion about Scott isn't worth the time it takes to write a Quick Reply, so no judgemental opinions here.
Like others have said, only time will tell if Scott can work his way into the top tier of MPO (isn't that what this thread is about?).

OTOH, if he really did a "no-call, no-show" on the Chico State golf club, (unless there is a compelling reason) then that's just poor behavior.

Scott - Derived from the Latin word 'Scoti', meaning Gaelic speaker

Stokely - Derived from the Old English words 'stocc', meaning tree trunk, and 'leah', meaning clearing, and indicates that the original bearer of the name lived at or near a wooded clearing.

Tats - A monosyllabic version of tattoos, used for brevity. When used on DCGR, a means to elicit rage in AndyJB.

Cute insult, but no rage here. It's just an uneducated phrase. Tattoo is only two syllables. Not hard to say. It's just like when someone says "supposabely" I instantly zone out, no matter how otherwise intelligent they might be.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again: Scott Stokely is a character. Always has been, but now he's a little more...blatant(?) about it. It's just self-promotion. As long as his antics don't hurt anyone else, it's fine in my book. Sadly, it appears that isn't the case with his recent no-show, but hopefully that doesn't become a habit.

What I gathered is that it was moved to Chico by the hosts "To add more support for special needs" but no one could get a hold of Scott to tell him they changed the location via "Facebook" so Scott showed up in Oroville with nobody there.

Sounds more like miss communication rather than "Scott is a bad person because he has blue hair and tats and doesnt care about anyone". :doh:

Now lets go back to the OP's original question, according to the competition manual... NO he cannot until he changes his hair to a natural hair color.
How many strokes are taken off the score card for (what you claim to be the) proper color hair?

Am I the only one who doesn't really want the game of disc golf to get bigger? While I think it would be very nice to see top disc golfers make a real living at it, I like that it's a niche sport. It might be the most popular niche sport outside of like, billiards or something. Niche sports can have people like Scott Stokely. And, as the picture above shows, so can mainstream sports!

Am I the only one who doesn't really want the game of disc golf to get bigger? While I think it would be very nice to see top disc golfers make a real living at it, I like that it's a niche sport. It might be the most popular niche sport outside of like, billiards or something. Niche sports can have people like Scott Stokely. And, as the picture above shows, so can mainstream sports!

No you are not. The bigger it gets the more judgmental people it attracts.

Jumping in feet first. Tats ( yes, tats tats tats tats tats) are less understandable to me than blue hair. Notice I don't say tats offend me, I just don't understand why anyone would get one. Also don't know why you'd die your hair blue, but "look at me" (also known as Bette Midler syndrome) never did make sense to me.

I think we may or will soon have some legit "blue-hairs" among the emerging Sr Grand and Legend Women divisions who hopefully aren't considered violating the Dress Code...

All this talk of dyed hair, and no mention of Scott Papa? He was flaunting wacky hair colors long before Stokely and AFAIK he wasn't doing it for any cause other than to be a little kooky. And he's probably one of the best ambassadors for the sport that we've had, definitely didn't do anything to negatively impact our image. I think that Stokely's disc names are lacking in taste, but otherwise, I have no issue with him.

I would like to see the game get more popular, but I really don't care so much about pros and their winnings. Mostly, it's for the selfish reasons that I'd like to see more courses available, and enough of a demographic that pay to plays could be a viable business. Courses are already overcrowded around here, but disc golfers are really the only ones aware of it--we're barely a blip on the radar for most people. Skateboarding has got way more of an anti-establishment image, but people still know what it is, and thus multiple skateparks are built, costing tens of thousands of dollars.

But I digress. Stokely is a character, but he's not hurting the image of disc golf. He's just getting a small corner of the internet's panties in a bunch.

thus multiple skateparks are built, costing tens of thousands of dollars.

Tens of thousands is on the cheap end of the spectrum of a skate park that will actually get used, while is makes a pretty decent start to a good disc golf course too.
Many skate parks around here have 200k+ with a handful 2million+... Some built with grants from things like the Tony Hawk Foundation. Its amazing how small disc golf is sometimes.

All this talk of dyed hair, and no mention of Scott Papa? He was flaunting wacky hair colors long before Stokely and AFAIK he wasn't doing it for any cause other than to be a little kooky. And he's probably one of the best ambassadors for the sport that we've had, definitely didn't do anything to negatively impact our image. I think that Stokely's disc names are lacking in taste, but otherwise, I have no issue with him.

I would like to see the game get more popular, but I really don't care so much about pros and their winnings. Mostly, it's for the selfish reasons that I'd like to see more courses available, and enough of a demographic that pay to plays could be a viable business. Courses are already overcrowded around here, but disc golfers are really the only ones aware of it--we're barely a blip on the radar for most people. Skateboarding has got way more of an anti-establishment image, but people still know what it is, and thus multiple skateparks are built, costing tens of thousands of dollars.

But I digress. Stokely is a character, but he's not hurting the image of disc golf. He's just getting a small corner of the internet's panties in a bunch.

AHA! The problem is revealed. It's Scotts! They're the real issue :p

I went to a Scott Stokely clinic at CSUMB/Oaks (near Monterey, CA) today.

It was fantastic, great advice/insight on backhands and forehands, actually some really insightful stuff on power forehands I had never heard before, and really amazing to watch Scott throw, so amazingly smooth and the disc just goes forever, I have never seen anyone look so relaxed and smooth and get that much distance, the disc just keeps gliding on an even plane way out in the field.

I really felt sorry for the guy that had to fetch the discs Scott threw.

And I bought a Jack the Ripper fairway driver from Scott, it has above average glide and distance for a fairway driver, easy to control too.