• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Can someone explain Glide numbers?

I mean, Infinite has Wizards with a 3 glide, Flight analyzer gives them a 2. Not sure where that 5 glide came from.

Wizard_Disc_Info.png

So you're trying to tell me the wizard has the same glide as a firebird?

The numbers are all made up. Some better than others.

Of course the numbers are made up. The numbers are relative to each manufacturer's lineup. There is no universal flight number rating system. There is no disc throwing robot to calibrate these things.

Gateway is telling you the Wizard has similar glide with less overstability than a Firebird.

I'm telling you the Wizard isn't a glidey putter.

I'm telling you the Wizard isn't a glidey putter.

And that's what makes disc golf beautiful. I wholeheartedly disagree but at the end of the day, discs aren't perfect. They fly different for everyone, and everyone throws differently. I throw with a lot of spin and speed., so maybe it seems to glide farther for me. To each their own, and that's rad

If youd like to talk about it further feel free to dm me, let's not clutter up this thread

Keep in mind that glide is relative to speed, or at least disc type. A putter and driver can both have a glide of 3 but that doesn't mean their glide is similar. It just means the putter has a 3 glide for putters (relatively average to above average) and the driver has a 3 glide for drivers (relatively low).

And that's what makes disc golf beautiful. I wholeheartedly disagree but at the end of the day, discs aren't perfect. They fly different for everyone, and everyone throws differently. I throw with a lot of spin and speed., so maybe it seems to glide farther for me. To each their own, and that's rad

If youd like to talk about it further feel free to dm me, let's not clutter up this thread

Here's my problem with this site. OP asks about low glide putters. People chime in with a wide spectrum of contradictory opinions that maybe don't really help answer the question. You make a post, sounding like an expert, where you made up glide numbers for a disc. New players will see our exchange and be confused. Instead of acknowledging that you made up your information, you basically say agree to disagree. I don't know you so I can't form an opinion of you as a person. I do know that "experts" here are feeding new players bad info on a regular basis. That misinformation is the problem that I have. No need to DM, I'm done with this conversation.

Agreed with LateWesternSky.

Speed is the required power to create an accurate display of the glide/turn/fade - or at least it used to be. You simply cannot get a true -1/3 out of a new Destroyer if you don't throw hard enough. Don't give a **** what the Destroyer glide is...guarantee it's relevant to if you actually throw hard enough. Putters and mids are easier to get up to speed so it's easier to see a more accurate representation of their intended flight.

Well this has spiralled. I never claimed to be an expert. I was simply sharing my opinion based on experiences. You know, how a forum is supposed to work. I dont need to prove my qualifications, be it many years throwing the disc in question in competition, to share my experience.

And FWIW the wizards numbers have changed more than occasionally. The glide used to be a 10 according to gateway.

I wasn't attacking you Waves I apologize if it came off that way. The royal "you" was my intentions.

Flight numbers are truly meaningless especially glide.

Speed is relative but the numbers from most companies help to find a disc that is a putter, hybrid midrange like putter or hybrid putter like midrange, midrange, hybrid midrange like fairway or fairway like midrange, fairway to control driver slot, then max distance 11+. The other numbers seem meaningless especially fade and glide as this can vary in just one mold due to how a disc molds up, the plastic used, and in Innova case X or L wing for some molds.

Basically the end flight fade if one can get a disc up to the power the mold needs and the speed numbers of a disc can be more consistent in finding a disc for the player that holds those lines. Even Fade can change from plastic to plastic but in a particular plastic the end fade is usually the same from disc to disc with a few exceptions like the Innova X and L wing.

Thanks for the info everyone.

So I got my Kastaplast BERG K1 disc last week and played a round with it, and threw it in my field work the day before. It's pretty sweet and I can see how it will be a VERY useful disc to carry for all sorts of weird shots. Mostly think I'll end up putting with it, and using it for 150 or less approach shots. Crazy straight when thrown flat with a reliable fade at the end. And it does have less glide than most discs. Although I wouldn't say it's 0 or 1 as it's rated. I thought it literally was going to be like throwing a brick or something. Just drop out of the sky as soon as you throw it. I can throw it 200-210' no problem. It just doesn't keep on going for another 10, 20, or 30' like some putters or mids can do if you catch them just right. This disc ALWAYS comes up short of where you wanted it to land, so it's going to be very helpful when I want to leave the disc at or short of the basket. Plus it putts really well! And I love the plastic. Was going back and fourth over the K1, K2 and K3 plastics and really glad I got the K1 plastic. It's softish and gummy-ish, but not floppy. Has just the right amount of gummy or tackiness in the plastic, and firm enough where you can throw it and not feel it flopping around. I love it! Plus it's CRAZY hot pink with a sweet oil slick silver stamp! So glad I found this thing!

I think after reading all the replies on here and talking with a few other people, I'm starting to understand the glide ratings more. I think I should be good going forward on this topic. So thanks everyone!