• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can the disc land on top of the basket?

Barbiaux

Bogey Member
Sorry if this is already on here, I did a search and found nothing.

Last week my buddy throw a disc from about 40 feet and it hit the number on top of the basket and stayed on top. Does this count or must it be in the basket.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80313-holing-out
"...
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc
and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and
inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two
or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the
tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
..."

can a disc still wedge in the basket?. i know that used to it could but i was told it changed last january just checking

can a disc still wedge in the basket?. i know that used to it could but i was told it changed last january just checking

No. I wedged a disc in the basket recently at a sanctioned event and took a tap in 2.

Attachments

• wedged-nuke-mhc-2011.jpg
    wedged-nuke-mhc-2011.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 34
Oh man...that is just not right. :doh: So close, and yet so far away. :wall:

Welp, rulez is rulez.;)

that sucks i did that the other day would have been my first ace... but apparently it doesnt count anymore.

Hope that this helps.

I highliighted the pertinent info below in bold.

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

HOLING OUT: 803.13
Starting in 2011, a player will not have to remove the disc to complete the process of holing out which was required under current rules. Once the group has decided the disc has come to rest, the player has holed out.

Several target related terms have been officially defined and added to the Definitions section 800 in support of the Holing Out rule. Definitions for Basket Target, Tray, Chains, Chain Support and Pole have been added.

Groups will now be responsible to make judgment calls on how discs enter the basket. Discs that attempt to enter or actually get all the way into the chains or basket thru the top of the chain support or thru the side or bottom of the basket now will not count if the group or official sees that happen. This means wedgies, most which wedge from the outside, now will not count unless it was a blind shot where no one saw how the disc wedged. Putts that are observed to properly enter the basket from above the rim and then wedge trying to get out will count as holed out like before.

These changes for holing out mean calls for the "putting tree" photo shown below that was in the Rules School story on Interference need to be updated. Under the old rules, only the yellow disc would not have been considered holed out when the player removed it. Under 2011 rules, the white and red discs are holed out (IN). The yellow disc as before and the orange disc hanging on the nub outside the basket are NOT IN. The orange disc balancing on the rim, which used to be considered IN, is now considered OUT in the 2011 rules because the disc is not entirely supported by the pole, inner wall or bottom of the basket. The orange wedgie is now NOT IN if the group observed it wedge from the outside. If the group did not see it or watched it clear the top basket wire then wedge on the way out, it is IN.

picture.php

that is very detailed and helps alot its good to have new information

I love the copy and paste buttons! :)

And I was referring to the "wedgie" part of the thread. I had actually forgotten what the original question in the thread was. :doh:

can you blow the balancing disc in?

No. As the disc is at rest. This also includes if someone else throws their shot and knocks it in. You must place your lie back to where it originally was. Also useful for when someone hits your disc with theirs and it rolls way down the hill :)

What if the disc that is wedged in the side of the basket made it all the way through and came to rest in the basket?
picture.php
[/QUOTE]

joesouthfla said:
What if the disc that is wedged in the side of the basket made it all the way through and came to rest in the basket?

If the disc is seen entering the basket through the side it's not a hole-out.

*edit* aw, c'mon, I had the answer...