• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you carry discs on a plane?

last week when i was going to oregon the tsa agent standing by the xray conveyor looked at my backpack and said "going to play golf i see", i was kind of suprised he said that...

You'll be fine. I've flown roundtrip with my bag twice and never had trouble. Just be extra alert when the security people are asking what's in your bag. I was flying out of SeaTac and they were so intrigued by my bag that I got distracted talking to them about it and left my MacBook lying there. I didn't notice it was missing until I got to the gate. All TSA agents who've taken notice of my discs have been interested and friendly. They're far more concerned that you might be bringing a water bottle through security with water already in it!

Another word of advice: Be prepared to check your other carry on. You're allowed to carry your discs as a "personal item". I've taken mine in one of the bigger Innova bags along with a normal sized carry on / laptop bag, and they won't hassle you for that. I'm just telling you to be prepared to check the laptop bag because so many people stuff their carry ons these days due to the checked bag fees that a lot of people have to check their second item anyway. I had to check my laptop bag four times on my last trip. They don't charge you for it, but I would much rather risk my bag of clothes (I carried the laptop on the plane myself) than my bag of discs in the cargo hold.

Yes its all good with discs on board, keep them close by in case you need to pull them out and be a hero and crack someone with them.:D

SURE can, I flew last summer with my bag all the way from California to Wisconsin.

No questions asked on a flight from Sioux Falls to LA with a Katana and Aviar in the carry on.

Bump

Gonna be travelling with discs soon, just thought I'd see if there was any change in policy.

Bump

Gonna be travelling with discs soon, just thought I'd see if there was any change in policy.

I go through TSA every week and 50% of the time with discs. I went through TSA in Charlotte last night with 18 discs in my Voodoo Mojo bag with no problems and only have had a couple of times when TSA pulled me a side to look in my bag ever. My suggestions are to open your bag and show the agent the discs and if you have any bag tags that are sharp, do not travel with them. The funniest thing that happened to me was in Minneapolis a few years back when a glow Roc freaked out the screener. I also had a screener asks me why I was traveling with dishes. Sometimes screeners will tell me they know someone that plays but I try to get through TSA fast so I never really have conversations with them. It is really not that big of a deal. They are pretty cool about discs and the only time I ever was really hassled was years ago when coming back from Mexico and going through customs with an Allman Brothers shirt on with a mushroom on it and the caption, "where it all begins" referring to a song.

I always have at least one disc in my laptop bag and usually a nutsac with 4-5 in it. The only problem I've had was when I left my knife in the bag... Weird thing they found it on the return trip.

Thanks all - I just know people who have had stuff confiscated at security never to get it back.

Last time I flew I checked em in with my suitcase. This time I'll carry on. I'm planning on a spartan bag anyway, 3-4 discs.

I usually have too many other things in my carry-on, so I go with the checked luggage option. After packing all of my clothing in my main suitcase, I lay down a sheet of newspaper and layer the entire top of my suitcase with about 6 - 12 backup discs spread out as evenly as possible.

I never take my starting lineup out of town by plane in case of lost luggage or even losing discs on courses I may never return to. I then pack a cheap small empty starter bag which I can fold down really compact and fit that in my suitcase as well. I've never had an issue. When I get to my hotel or into my rental car, the starter bag gets unfolded and the discs are loaded up and ready to go at a moment's notice.

I usually have too many other things in my carry-on, so I go with the checked luggage option. After packing all of my clothing in my main suitcase, I lay down a sheet of newspaper and layer the entire top of my suitcase with about 6 - 12 backup discs spread out as evenly as possible.

I never take my starting lineup out of town by plane in case of lost luggage or even losing discs on courses I may never return to. I then pack a cheap small empty starter bag which I can fold down really compact and fit that in my suitcase as well. I've never had an issue. When I get to my hotel or into my rental car, the starter bag gets unfolded and the discs are loaded up and ready to go at a moment's notice.

That's what I did last time, just DX and Pro D.

Flew from Greensboro, NC to Michigan with a Carolina Revo as carry on, in economy. Had no problems. Hardest part was cramming a small bookbag of clothes under my seat.

i always bring my bag with me! on planes, to the movies, everywhere!

always room in the bed of my truck, or in the overhead storage compartment!

no problemo

I fly for at least a couple of tournaments every year. Went to the Memorial this year with my DD Ranger bag full of discs and a carry on duffle full of backups. All told I was carrying well over 40 discs and had no issues.

Grip bags make GREAT carry ons.

Yes they do. Fits under the seat in front, so it counts as your personal carry on and you can still bring a bigger bag to store in the overhead space.

I've been thinking about switching over to a Spinal Tap, but I think it might be too big to fit under the seat on the plane.

Latest posts