• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cannon and rampage

They're not as awesomely fast as advertised, Rampage is fast alright, but not the fastest on the market. Even though the flight numbers differ quite a bit, they fly very similarly in top plastics.

I think they are as fast as all the other max rim width drivers (Nuke, Katana, King, Halo, etc.).

What really sets them apart is that the inner rim depth is significantly greater than all the others, so they have a very unique rim feel. It all depends on how it feels in your hands. For me, I think the rims are a bit too deep and wide, but others love them.

they are faster. faster than nukes, forces, bosses and destroyers.

They honestly didn't feel any faster than Bosses, about on par with the. The Pinnacle Rampage was pretty much a max speed Destroyer, so pretty great. The problem with them was that all of the different plastics flew nothing alike each other, and the two Icon (I think?) Cannons also were very different. Basically, depending on the plastic and PLH variation I couldn't see any real difference between the Rampage and Cannon.

The Cannon is supposed to fly like a seasoned Rampage. I haven't had the opportunity to throw my Cannon enough to compare it with my Rampage, but I certainly plan to see what it will do. My Rampage has never become seasoned, partly because the plastic is really tough, and partly because it doesn't feel great in my hands (or I haven't figured out a grip adjustment that will work with it).

Local big arms (450'+) love the Rampage. Awesome wind disc, and reliable HSS under full power.

I have a few Icon Cannons, one flat and one domey. I think the flat one is faster than a nuke. Stability wise it is pretty close to a nuke. I think cannons do a flex line or a hyzer flip really well. Other throws not so much. I plan on picking up a pinnacle rampage soon so I can make some comparisons but it seems like it may be a faster destroyer. That being said I do like the cannon for the throws that it is good for. It's just not a go to distance driver for me.

Threw a Cannon yesterday and it flew damn near exactly the same as my Rampage......maybe it would be different if I could throw further.

I got a pinnacle cannon and icon rampage yesterday. Hopefully I can toss them layer today.

Jesse B 707 said:
Threw a Cannon yesterday and it flew damn near exactly the same as my Rampage......maybe it would be different if I could throw further.

on around 400' distance I saw no real difference in top plastic cannon and rampage flight. Gotta test it again when there's no snow on the ground to see if they differ on longer distances.

So, guys. Seriously. Both of these go really long.

I have a 175 Icon Cannon and a 172 Pinnacle Rampage. The icon had a good, mild, gradual dome and the rampage had a big dome like opto flows. They were similar with the Cannon having a bit less HSS, LSS was about the same. First throw was the rampage and it went just shy of 400 that was straight with a big fade, so I figured I'd really lay into the Cannon. BOOM 473ft going about 8ft uphill. The damn thing was low and skipped forward at least 100 ft. After these throws, I was consistently getting about 430 with both rather easily. I thought it would take a perfect hit to get it going, but I was still getting decent flights on less than perfect throws. On my last throw of the day I CRUSHED a Rampage about 515 on flat ground. Got a full flex out of it and it just kept gliding and gliding. I haven't thrown this far in a long time. I was about 20ft longer than my destroyers on average.

I think I'm gonna use these ad just distance discs and keep destroyers for long golf shots. I feel I can control them better.

Jesse B 707 said:

I threw 2 different Icon Cannons yesterday, one new, and one beat. The new one flies a lot like the Rampage: i.e., fast as hell and over-stable (maybe straightening out with 450'-500' power). I tried to throw a gently right turning shot, released with a little anhyzer, and the disc started hyzering right out of my hand. I ended up throwing a level flex corkscrew shot, about 400' (no skip on rough ground). So I threw the beat one, and made the adjustments (a little more height, more anhyzer) that would have gotten the newer Cannon on the desired line, but that one turned over into a roller. The beat Cannon had been thrown for a few months, the guy who owned it also throws Z Nuke and Z Nuke OS, so it isn't a huge difference in flight for him moving from the Nuke to the Cannon.

But the good news for people who don't like the Cannons because they seem too over-stable: Icon Cannons do seem to beat in straight, and then eventually yield a turn-over at 400' distance. I'm not sure how much more they beat in, or if they stay in a particular seasoned zone for a while. Only time will tell.

I got a blue icon cannon and thought it flew in between my z nuke and ESP nuke, closer to ESP, in terms of stability, but was 10-15' shorter around the 400'' mark. I've read there is a fair amount of stability difference between plastic colors.

7ontheline said:
I got a blue icon cannon and thought it flew in between my z nuke and ESP nuke, closer to ESP, in terms of stability, but was 10-15' shorter around the 400'' mark. I've read there is a fair amount of stability difference between plastic colors.

None of these discs fly max distance when new. You have to beat them a bit to get them gliding straight.

Dunno, I got 400' out of them on shitty, snowy surface. They seem very destroyer-esque to me, probably very long disc when the summer gives some traction. The two bottom plastic rampages seemed completely pointless flip machines though, plus the second to bottom plastic one was acting very unpredictable.

Anyone have a good read on Rampages yet? Or had some experience with the different plastics/colors? (especially Pinnacle vs Icon)

I picked up an Icon Rampage for forehand/headwind shots and it doesn't seem to have the over stability I remembered from test throwing the Pinnacle plastic.

Chadi said:
Or had some experience with the different plastics/colors? (especially Pinnacle vs Icon)
I only have one example of both, but here goes. The Pinnacle is flatter, faster, more overstable, looks much better, grip is about the best I've seen in a premium plastic disc. The Icon isn't really hugely less stable, but noticeably, and seems to glide a tad better due to the dome. Not as grippy as the Pinnacle.

I had too limited traction for the power requirement of these big boy discs. Still they flew ok. I had an easy to flip 150 Bliz Champ Katana as an unfair comparison. The Katana flew farther with way less power requirement and naturally way more flip. Not having normal Bosses or Destroyers and the like of main stream long fast discs to compare i couldn't say if these differed significantly. I'm sure i couldn't power the Bosses and Destros from that lie either. I imagine that the Cannon in Icon wouldn't differ a lot from the Boss and the skips seemed to be quite similar. Icon Rampage has a fairly sharp feeling bottom. It is easy to turn but the turn ain't uncontrollable even on low lines and it will come back always with too much fade to get the distance that is available from the speed and the glide. Not flying flat in the end throws away the benefit of the good glide when flat.

I didn't have normal discs with me to compare the speed of these but these low 170s Legacy discs didn't fly nearly as fast as the over 20 grams lighter Katana. From memory of regular discs at similar weights i wouldn't rate the Cannon or the Rampage speed 14 on Innova scale. 13 and parity with the Boss and other 13s from Innova and a Nuke are more like it. I didn't carry a Z Nuke to test against but with the poor traction it is estimation business and the Rampage wasn't far away at all from the Z Nukes i have with the lie accounted for. So not bad at all except Nukes come in fairly similar flight at least down to 161.

Latest posts