• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carts – future or fad

I used the excuse of sitting down during long rounds as my main excuse to buy a cart, but deep down, I did it as a fad thing because I wanted to be among the first in my two groups I frequent to have one.

In the end, while I do use it to sit during really long tournament rounds, the primary reason I break out the cart on those non-long round tournaments is to have a steady platform when I film. Otherwise, I still have two bags I use; the Grip for everyday and the Lat E3 for the league, normal tournament rounds, or where the cart cannot go.

I do not regret getting the cart in general, but I would have been served getting the backpack cart instead of the full setup with the AT.

I definitely think that carts are going to keeping gaining in popularity. Obviously a cart can be course specific. The majority of courses that I play, especially for B-Tier tournaments, are cart friendly.

I'd been using different bags since 2004 & have just gotten to a point (& age) where it's been wearing me down. Just got a Crosslap Cubus cart & have really been noticing how much better I feel at the end of a round. The key was really just getting used to figuring how to setup the inside of the cart & keep the weight centered in the right places.

Isn't the sexiest looking cart but works for me.

picture.php

I completely understand people who have bad backs and also using one for tournament play. What I don't understand is why a 860 rated player needs one for casual rounds. Carrying 20+ discs ain't going to help your nose up and rounding issues.

Carts are a matter of personal preference, whether someone feels like schlepping a bag around, or pulling a cart around has absolutely no bearing on their skill as a player. If someone enjoys the game, and wants to throw some $$ at it, that's 100% their business. I don't agree with the statement that only highly skilled players should use a cart

Carts are a matter of personal preference, whether someone feels like schlepping a bag around, or pulling a cart around has absolutely no bearing on their skill as a player. If someone enjoys the game, and wants to throw some $$ at it, that's 100% their business. I don't agree with the statement that only highly skilled players should use a cart

When did I say only highly skilled players should use them?

I am 70+ years old and have the expected physical issues for someone my age, knees, back, etc, and all I play is casual rounds with friends. I like to keep my number of discs carried down to 12 or less and just really learn how to utilize the ones that I have. I don't think that I will ever get a cart.

For me, carts are great for exactly one thing: a place to sit. So if I don't anticipate needing to sit down, I would never use a cart. On the other hand, if I were playing a lot of packed tournaments I would buy a cart to effectively use as a rolling lawn chair.

They make models of carts that do not have a seat on them, at least 2 from each from different brands that I can think of.

Isn't the sexiest looking cart but works for me.

picture.php

I remember for the longest time even with the odd cart from Gotta Go Gotta Throw, this style you show but modified more for single strap bags was what most people used, until the dolly type pull carts with the removable bag were being made with a seat on them then those started getting used more until actual disc golf carts with seats on them became available.

I am 70+ years old and have the expected physical issues for someone my age, knees, back, etc, and all I play is casual rounds with friends. I like to keep my number of discs carried down to 12 or less and just really learn how to utilize the ones that I have. I don't think that I will ever get a cart.

I agree that 12 is about all anyone needs but if you ever play competitively at all, even amongst friends, it's a good idea to have back ups.

These days, I either carry a shoulder bag with about 14 discs or roll a cart that allows for back ups for everything and some practice putters.

I'm 28. Plenty of strength/endurance to carry a big bag for an entire day...

I use my cart at every tournament. Not only do I think you waste tons of energy dropping/picking up/carrying a bag, I store all sorts of stuff in my cart that wouldn't fit in my bag. I generally stay more hydrated, eat more snacks for energy, and am shuffling around lest with scorecards/phones/putters.

I think it actually provides a huge advantage over the course of a long hot tournament day.

Zuca owner with good back checking in - I dislike carrying and fiddling with a bag of discs and hydration on the course.

Approach hole, swing bag of discs and sloshing water off back, hang on a hook or place on ground/bench, drive, pick up and one-strap bag, approach where I inevitably went out, place bag on dirty/wet ground, bend down to thumb through my get-out-of-trouble options, bushwhack to my lie, back to the bag, pick up and one-strap, ad nauseum.

With the cart I feel like I bring the amenities around the teepad with me - my bag is continuously hung up on a hook at a reasonable height, I have my towel hung and ready to go, and my water isn't weighing down one side of my body. Plus, although a backpack sucks less than a traditional tourney bag with quad straps, it still sucks to swing the damn thing onto my back after every shot.

Zuca owner with good back checking in - I dislike carrying and fiddling with a bag of discs and hydration on the course.

Approach hole, swing bag of discs and sloshing water off back, hang on a hook or place on ground/bench, drive, pick up and one-strap bag, approach where I inevitably went out, place bag on dirty/wet ground, bend down to thumb through my get-out-of-trouble options, bushwhack to my lie, back to the bag, pick up and one-strap, ad nauseum.

With the cart I feel like I bring the amenities around the teepad with me - my bag is continuously hung up on a hook at a reasonable height, I have my towel hung and ready to go, and my water isn't weighing down one side of my body. Plus, although a backpack sucks less than a traditional tourney bag with quad straps, it still sucks to swing the damn thing onto my back after every shot.
None of that bothers me as much as dragging a cart.

Backpack and tourney bag owner with bothersome back checking in - I dislike pushing and pulling a cart of discs and accessories on the course.

Approach hole, use tired arms to swing cart into a large enough spot, carefully maneuvering it to not roll away, drive, swing cart into proper direction and push/pull over rocks, roots, mud, and steep hills, inevitably flip the cart on a rock once or twice, approach where I inevitably went out, park cart in the mud, bend down to thumb through my get-out-of-trouble options, bushwhack to my lie since I can't bring a cart anywhere off the fairway, back to the cart, tired arms maneuver over more rocks, flinging mud everywhere, having to lift the heavy cart over particularly big obstacles anyway, ad nauseum.

With the backpack or tourney bag I feel like I bring the amenities around with me - my bag is easier to carry everywhere I need, I never forget random accessories, and my water isn't falling out of the crappy water bottle holders. Plus, although a cart sucks less than a little red wagon, it still sucks to swing the damn thing everywhere after every shot.

Half-joking aside, I've had a cart for just over a year now, and it's easily the most disappointing disc golf purchase I've made. While it saves my back a little, my forearms and hips get way more tired, and that's on a flat, smooth, cart-ideal course. Probably 3/4 of the courses in my area are rough going for a cart, in ways that I never even thought about or realized pre-cart, and the small benefits just aren't worth it to me then. I actually find the cart to be really mentally straining too - constantly having to find the flattest and smoothest paths for it amongst all the rocks and roots, figuring out what angles to park it at, etc. Just not for me, clearly. I am glad they work so well for others, I don't know how you guys manage to do it on some of these courses.

Latest posts