• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Casual Q & A (School Project)

Zerim

Hey there everyone,

Just hoping to get some people to answer a few questions. Some of the answers from these questions will be put into my video i am doing for class. Answer as many or few as you like. I just appreciate your time for even looking.

Q: How did you get into the sport?

A:

Q: What about the sport keeps you playing?

A:

Q: If you where trying to convince someone to play, how would you?

A:

Q: How much time do you dedicate out of your life to disc golf?

A:

Q: What is one thing everyone should know about disc golf?

A:

Thanks again!! Look forward to your answers! :hfive:

1) I got into the sport from a buddy who had played for about 7 years as a casual player. He had talked about going out one day and I was curious what he was talking about. He brought me out and gave me a few discs to play with. I was hooked! This was about 4-5 years ago now and I couldn't be happier finding this sport.

2) For me I love the duality of the sport. I' a pretty competitive guy, and the fact that my fix can be had at a moment's notice is a great thing. But if I wanna go out with my friends, grab a six pack and just kill the day having a good time, I can do that as well. Now, I'm a sponsored player with Latitude 64 and that along keeps me going out there and trying to better my game even more. I love having goals set and trying to achieve them, another big key to me continually marching out to the course, rain or shine, snow or wind.

3) First, there's no real convincing someone to play. You either are interested or not. If you don't do woods, or dirt, or sweat, then this sport isn't for you lol. But bringing a friend along to watch you play, or help caddy, or just help out for tournament play might be enough to get them interested

4) Way too much! lol. I spend a lot of time online in forums and on fan pages, probably 2-3 hours a day. I try to golf as much as possible, work permitting, so anywhere from 2-4 rounds a week, plus I put in practice time either putting or doing fieldwork or both, easily 1-2 hours a week.

5) It is NOT a stoner sport! There's a lot of people who play this sport competitively and take it quite seriously that would have nothing to do with any recreational substances. I wish nothing more than to have the connection between disc golf and that imagery gone forever.

Thanks Redrum! I Appreciate the time you spent on these questions. Great answers as well!

Hey there everyone,

Just hoping to get some people to answer a few questions. Some of the answers from these questions will be put into my video i am doing for class. Answer as many or few as you like. I just appreciate your time for even looking.

A:my mom's boyfriend played it. She wanted me to spend time with him and get to know him. Played once with him. Enjoyed the sport, never played with him again.

A: it allows me to compete, while also getting outside to clear my head for causal rounds. It is also a way for me to work in some fun exercise.

A:"it's not a dorky as it sounds, it's really kind of fun". It's worked 5 times so far and worked for me.

A: 5 hrs a week usually. Two rounds. More right now though that I am promoting a new course and upcoming tourney

A:
it's actually a great sport and not all of us are smokers

Hope that helps

Answers embedded.

Hey there everyone,

A: A friend asked if I wanted to go throw. Sounded like fun.

A: I like to see discs fly. I like to improve.

A: Good times.

A: I play every day with passable weather (I'm retired).

A:
Have fun with it. You don't have to be serious.

A: I was riding my bike in the park one day and noticed guys throwing frisbees around. The next day I went and rented a disc and I was hooked. I was 14 at the time. 6 months later I was playing open. Soon after that I was placing top 5 in most of the PDGA events I entered.

A: I took many layoffs during my years of playing. One to two years off was the norm for me. I played a lot of DDC and was a pretty decent tennis player. I always came back though because I loved the competition and I knew I had a chance to win any of the tourneys I entered.

A: It's fun, relatively cheap.

A: These days about 10 hours a week.

A: It's the best sport in the world.

A: A way to waste time with the buddies.

A: Competitive fun between friends and I'm always chasing the glory of a great throw

A: Take them to a course and put a disc in their hands.

A: I dedicate none, but I end up spending tons.

A: Smooth is far.

Hey there everyone,

A: I started collecting discs and playing freestyle in the late '60s. Around 1975 I aquired this book which contained info on playing Frisbee Golf. I also joined the IFA (the International Frisbee Assn) and met some old timers from the other IFA (the Illinois Frisbee Assn). I played my 1st basket course in Joliet IL (West Park) in 1979.

picture.php

A: Everything about it. I love throwing plastic in the woods with my friends. I like that you can go to almost any course and find cool friendly people to throw with.

A: Get them out on the course. 99% of the people that I have introduced to the sport are still playing.

A: About 1/4 of it!

A:
Most people don't know that there is established play, with pro level tournaments.

You are welcome!

A: Needed something to occupy my time in high school after I stopped playing soccer every day.

A: The natural aspect of it has a lot to do with it, love being lost in nature at times on the course. My other reason is to become a better player.

A: Take them out with me, show them a few pointers and how fun just throwing a disc can be if you don't take yourself too seriously.

A: As much as possible.

A: Whoever has the most fun, wins.

A:My brother and my brother in law started playing to pass the time while they were both looking for work. A couple weeks after they started, they convinced me to come out and throw. I was pretty much hooked from the beginning and started playing local leagues and then tournaments.

A:Many things: the people, competitive play, being out on the course is relaxing, always trying to get better.

A:Come out and try it. You'll either love it or hate it but you'll never know if you don't try.

A: Tooooo much. I'm always talking about it with people who don't play, checking out forums and article online to learn something new, practice putting at least 4 days a week in the back yard, plus getting out on the course at least 3-4 days a week or more.

A: It's really for anyone. We have so many different types of people in all different walks of like that are part of our club. From young to old, blue collar to white collar, and we all get along pretty well regardless of all our differences. I've met so many great people that I would never have crossed paths with if it wasn't for this sport.

See below for answers.

Hey there everyone,

A:An older friend invited me to a tournament. He had recently picked up the sport himself

A: I like that it's a competitive sport for people of all skill. You don't need to be good to enjoy it, and if you are good, you can still enjoy playing with everyone. The equipment required to play is minimal, there is no «green fee» and playing a game won't take the whole day. Also, the small community of local players is fun to be with.

A: I'd just tell him to come along and try it out.

A: I read disc golf related forums EVERYDAY, at least at three different time of the day. I don't play very often but usually get out everyday for 20-60 minutes to practice putting and approaches. I try to play at least once a week, but this is mostly possible during the Summer.

A: That it exists.

A: I Threw frisbees in the 70's and joined the IFA in '76, practiced the skills to take the master level test, just before my family moved away from the contacts the IFA sent me to get certified. Had a nice collection of Wham-O's in a bin in the garage for the next three decades, while I griped occasionally about not being able to find an affordable way to exercise :doh:
Started walking the neighborhood when I turned 50, then brought out the old discs to throw object golf while I walked. Ran into a neighbor who unwittingly inspired me to try disc golf in 2011. He mentioned having worked with a woman who was 'pretty good at it...she even went to Japan once to play it' (I looked up 5 time world champ Tammy Pelicane!) The story was enough to make me go to PIAS and try an old Steady Ed course nearest my house, and discover DGCR and the fact that we've got 30+ courses within an hour's drive of my home!

A: I love the flight of a well-thrown disc. Flex shots amaze me. Young, big guns are fun to watch, and every now and then, I 'park' one farther than I thought I could throw. One great throw per round will keep me going out for years!

A: I try to be friendly & informative, but not pushy. I definitely let them try my discs. If they really seem fired up, or have kids interested, I'd probably give them some of my old starter discs that I can't sell anyway...

A: I play five days a week on average right now because I'm addicted, my wife encourages me to get out & get the exercise, and I work a school day schedule anyway.

A: Those who play it cannot be stereotyped, and those who play it well are amazing to watch!

A: I took a P.E. class my senior year of high school called "Lifetime Activities" that had a disc golf unit. I instantly enjoyed the sport, but remained just a chucker for about a year and a half until a guy I worked with at the time convinced me to give tournaments a try.

A: It is pure enjoyment and no two rounds are the exact same. There is always the challenge there to improve your own inadequacies even on a super easy course.

A: I usually tell them it is a lot like traditional golf without the negatives like cost and elitist attitude. Then I back it up by getting them to join me for a round or two.

A: Way too much. It is to the point where my fiance and parents are surprised if I'm not at the course when I'm not doing homework.

A: That it is extremely open to new players and anyone can pick it up and have a good time often with little to no monetary investment.

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far!! This is going to help me a whole lot on my project. If it turns out good enough ill post the video. Great answers guys, thanks again!

A: A couple of friends in high school introduced the sport to me. I'm a huge sports and outdoors guy so disc golf just worked. It was laid back yet competitive and nothing beats natural beauty.

A: Ummmm everything? Honestly, I love learning more about the game and improving on my skill set. The ability to stay competitive is something that keeps things interesting. And finally travel. I love taking wknd disc trips around the country. Now if only I didn't have to work.

A: I know a lot of people may disagree but I wouldn't take them to the easiest pitch and putt 9 holer. When I was in college my friends always wondered why I played disc golf and not just ball golf. After a lot of explaining how it was different and imo more fun i took a few of them to a few courses where they held AM Worlds. The course was nearly impossible for them, but they were just in awe of the beauty, toughness of the course, and how different it was from ball golf.

A: I try to actually get out to a course 3 times a week. I have so many other hobbies and other duties (work, sleep, eating) that 3 times a week is perfect for me.

A:[/B] It's called Disc Golf. I think every disc golfer should know that disc golf is a cheap sport than is fun and easily accessible.

Thanks again!! Look forward to your answers! :hfive:[/QUOTE]

Hey there everyone,

A: friend was playing when i moved to the area

A: walking around, challenging myself

A: say c'mon give it a try.

A: a good amount

A: its not just for hippies

A: A friend mentioned wanting to try it. I was hooked. He wasn't.

A: Why just hike when you can make a game out of it? I love the woods, and I love games. It's like Peanut Butter and Jelly!

Q: If you were trying to convince someone to play, how would you?
A: I usually just talk about how fun it is and the low cost to participate. I think my love of the game is contagious.

A: Way more than I should. If I can neglect something (usually chores or food shopping) to play, I usually will.

A: It's fun.

A:friends played and went along

A:its outdoors, able to be played nearly anytime/place and always changing with new courses/equipment etc

A:take them out to a nice pay to play course or not crowed local course and let them try

A: good question probably too much but its a hobby and sport :)

A: it is a sport with a governing body and rules.

A: I was looking for something fun to do in college. And while I was in college, the "Freshman 30" got to me, so I was looking for something I can get a bunch of exercise while doing. I did a bunch of research, I chose disc golf.

A: I love being outside while disc golfing. I love how challenging it is. Figuring out how to throw each disc. Also, I am a very competitive person, and all of my friends are roughly the same skill level. This make for a close game every time.

A: I usually pester them until they give it a try. After a few tries they usually come with me. They are then hooked and thank me for it.

A: Actually playing, I am close to 8 hours a week (roughly 4-5 rounds). However, I am on this site, and other sites like this, close to 25 hours a week.

A: Although there are many misconceptions, disc golf is NOT a stoner sport. Many of the disc golfers out there are very friendly.

A: Growing up I played a lot of "Frisbee Golf" with my brother. We'd choose a tree, table, sign etc as a target and make up a course as we went. Years later, when lifeguarding in a city park, a disc golf course was installed. The novelty of taking this backyard game I played with my brother and actually using a set course with defined tees and a specially designed target was too much to resist.

We grabbed some old frisbees from the garage and gave it a try. I was hooked immediately.

A: I'm a competitive person and have always been involved in sports as a kid. Now in my adult years, it's harder to stay active in athletics. Disc golf gives me a great competitive outlet. I'm constantly driven to practice and improve my game to better my performance at the next tournament or league.

The social aspect of the game is addicting as well. I've made a lot of friends on the course. Tournaments are social reunions in a way.

It also is an activity that I enjoy with old friends from college. Even though my friends live hundreds of miles away, we remain in close contact. Whenever we get together in warm weather, we try to get out to the course. Even on the morning of my wedding, we all went out to the local course together.

A: If someone was generally uninterested in playing, I wouldn't push it on them. It's not for everyone. But most people I talk to have a curiosity and want to give it a try. The best thing to do then is take them to the course and loan them a couple discs.

A: My weekends from April until October are pretty disc golf dominated. If I'm not playing a tournament, I'm spending a good amount of time at the course or in the field throwing. I'm a bit more busy during the week with other activities, but still try to get a little bit of casual play in.

Now that I have a house with a yard, I expect to spend a bit more time in the evenings putting.

A: It's fun.

Latest posts