• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CCDG and an early Festivus...

ShoopDaGoose

I appreciate the effort that goes into covering, producing, and commenting on disc golf tournament coverage, and I may not be able to pick out a lot of technical things from watching the videos that are being posted, but I have some opinions that I feel compelled to share...in other words, Festivus is coming early this year. :D

First, I want to say thank you, to everyone that allows disc golf fans to watch the sport they love.

But it wouldn't be Festivus without the Airing of Grievances...
Sorry Central Coast Disc Golf...I am doing this for the potential 'I' see in you and the sport of Disc golf, but...

Am I the only one that is annoyed/disappointed in the way Ian, from CCDG, commentates?

1. I hate the whole... Ian:"Hey *insert person I'm in conversation with*" person:"yeah?" Ian:"Let's watch some disc golf." I am totally fine with him saying 'Let's watch some disc golf', but I am not okay with Ian basically asking if the other person is awake, despite already being in a conversation with the person. That is not a natural conversation/interaction.

2. I've gotten a little more used to the way he speaks, but I am still bothered by the tones/inflections he uses as if he is asking/proposing something often times when he speaks, no matter if it's a statement or question.

3. I also wish he spoke more professionally and didn't use or make up slang for various things. I want disc golf to be taken seriously, but I don't know if I would take it seriously from listening to Ian commentate. Too much fun is being had :p

4. I also don't think it's appealing to compare himself or his throws to those who are the professional disc golfers. I think it's okay to share how the course or a hole may be grueling after playing it, I don't want to hear the specifics of his throws or score, especially if he has a good one...that kind of downplays the skill level of the athletes competing.

Again, I am very thankful for all those who create disc golf content for those who enjoy watching, CCDG included. Keep it up! You guys will help grow the sport.

#4 is the one where I tend to agree with you. It is likely so common because so many commentators are pretty typical AM players.

I think #1-3 are simply Ian and CCDG's own style; I'm completely used to them and they are part of a pretty effective, watchable broadcast for me.

Each time I've heard him compare his throws to pro's, it's usually making fun of his own throws or his inability to throw good shots.

It's nice to see you can still enjoy the hard work Ian puts into the videos while hating how he talks. If you don't like his commentary just hit the mute button. As for him comparing his shots to other players shots, well he's the color commentator and often times he has a pro commentating with him so it's literally no different from EVERY other sports broadcast out there. Lastly you made a thread that serves no real purpose other than as a place for you to complain. Send a PM to Ian if you have something constructive to say don't make a public thread.

Child's play

I am an admitted huge fan of CCDG, so take this fwiw.

1) That's kind of his thing? That has been there since the beginning. I like it, but can see why others don't. Imo, he isn't even asking the other person with him so much as getting the audience engaged.

2) You'll get used to it, or not. Not sure how much control over his regional dialect Ian (or any of us) has...

3) Can you give an example? It may speak to the fact that I don't share your opinion, but I can't think of an example of Ian making up slang.

4) This one I get more than the others. Although, I believe most of the time, he actually throws a lot of superlatives around when describing the pros' skills and communicates appropriate awe. Let me put it this way. There is another channel that provides commentary that is much more egregious in this regard than Ian and it does bother me. The level that Ian engages in this behavior does not bother me at all, but I do understand your point.

1. I hate the whole... Ian:"Hey *insert person I'm in conversation with*" person:"yeah?" Ian:"Let's watch some disc golf." I am totally fine with him saying 'Let's watch some disc golf', but I am not okay with Ian basically asking if the other person is awake, despite already being in a conversation with the person. That is not a natural conversation/interaction.

4H053Jr.gif

Dude that line is awesome.

I think that CCDG absolutely rocks their videos. The items that you've mentioned are part of what makes the videos interesting to me. Oh, and that he produces top quality disc golf videos and shares them with us for zero $$$.

After listening to attempted commentaries over a 20 year period, Ian has a style and flow that isn't that far off of paid commentators. There are a few too many "dude" style comments, but I'm an old fricking man so what can you expect. StevenSegal is correct, "Let's watch some disc golf" in Ian's delivery is great, well played, and as fun a start as I can think of. As MarkMcc pointed out, the very things you hate are what brings me back over and over.

My favorite vids are the ones where Ian has the time to scout the course and comment on the hole structure and design, he creates a visual of the hole that makes the drives have more meaning.

One thing that has happened more recently is that more videographers are coming to Ian to have him do color. That isn't because he's boring. However, because of that, you get less of his feel for the course, and he's more leading the guy who did the ground work though the discussion. I don't like those videos as much, but it makes them way better than they would have been, and it takes a huge skill set to get on a call, and do a walk through, and get that good of an outcome. Kudos.

Last, thanks, you just reminded me that I need to make a donation. For those who care, the more we give, the more options Ian has to produce those cutting edge vids where he has the resources to scout the course and bring his full bag. Ian rarely asks, so I'm doing it for him, and I don't even know the guy.

I think that each of those "flaws" is part of what endears me to the commentary and CCDG videos in general.

CCDG videos on YouTube are not The Golf Channel... Fortunately. Not that golf channel commentators don't make the occasional witty comment, but I wouldn't enjoy a stuffed shirt disc golf video nearly as much as what Ian and co. are doing.

And no, I'm not an internet "white knight" coming to save Ian and CCDG. I just really enjoy the videos, as is. Plus I'm very confident that Ian is more than capable of defending himself, should he decide to reply at all.

BTW - go watch chumps vs the champs, where Ian and his friends play McBeast, funny, and fun. Part of the reason the commentators, both Ian and Chris, comment on their throws vs. Pro throws is that as a community, we still don't have a proper appreciacian for the throws the Pros are making. Instead of giving general hyperbole about those throws, they are giving us a point of reference. That is going to be necessary until such a time as the general Am has a good feeling for a Pro hole, and what it takes to hit the shot on such a hole. You can't really get it till you go watch these guys play live. It is an amazing experience.

I don't agree with the comments that you brought up. I enjoy all of Ian hard work that he puts into the broadcast.

I do get a little annoy when he lose track of stroke count during the hole. He does that more often that I would like. But I understand it most likely a single take, going back and fixing those mistakes is not reasonable for free content.

Go CCDG

It seems the OP's desire is to help Ian/CCDG do a better job and that is why he is so graciously making his observations privately to Ian.

It's nice to see you can still enjoy the hard work Ian puts into the videos while hating how he talks. If you don't like his commentary just hit the mute button. As for him comparing his shots to other players shots, well he's the color commentator and often times he has a pro commentating with him so it's literally no different from EVERY other sports broadcast out there. Lastly you made a thread that serves no real purpose other than as a place for you to complain. Send a PM to Ian if you have something constructive to say don't make a public thread.

Child's play

yeah this is definitely a private conversation with you and Ian, not a public post. the only reason for you to post publicly is just to stir up arguments

4H053Jr.gif

Dude that line is awesome.

Jags guy was my response to reading the OP as well

Wait a minute. I think that I just figured this out.

Ian and co. haven't been feeling enough love lately, so they created a new DGCR account to solicit all of this positive feedback. ;) ;) ;)

Another vote of appreciation for Ian and the CCDG crew. Ian has a professional relaxed style and is really coming into his own with his color commentary. I understand each of the OP's objections, however, I find those points to be positives.

I suspect Ian has consciously worked to brand his material. His brand includes the opening theme song, "...Let's watch some disc golf!", his laid-back California conversational style (including upspeak and his own phrases.) If I hear any of those things I instantly think of Ian and CCDG. It works.

I *really* hope the guy can either find a way to monetize his brand on his own or that fortune will find him. He works hard for it and he deserves it.

Keep it up, Ian. Your work keeps getting better.

Hey, Dude Perfect got a t.v. show. :D

(Hopefully this doesn't degenerate into a DP hate/love thread, now. IMO, though, the show is ok, but their yt videos are still better.)

Last edited:
I *really* hope the guy can either find a way to monetize his brand on his own or that fortune will find him. He works hard for it and he deserves it.

He does have a Patreon account (https://www.patreon.com/CCDG) that I joined up on a year or so ago. You can sign up for a given amount per video or just a fixed amount. It is one way to support him if you so desire.

hey ShoopDaGoose, let's watch some disc golf.

I love everything CCDG does including the lets watch some disc golf & self defecation coments.

lighten up dude.

I know it's his thing, go-to line, not a huge fan of it, but then, I don't really get to hear it a lot since I know I can jump to about 0:40-1:00 from the start and get to the action. Same with jumping 20-30 secs from discgolfguy, 30-40 off Prodigy/Marty videos to get straight to the action.

Regarding Ian comparing his shots to pros, I'm cool with that. Paavo does the same on PHP, nice to get a mere-mortal point of view to the shots (even though based on the Champ vs Chumps video, I could totally take on the CCDG crew on level pegging :D :cool: :rolleyes: ).