• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chains Disc Golf Documentary Fundraiser!!!

Are you willing to help support Chains the Movie - Disc Golf Documentary??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have yet to figure out why anybody would not want these pros to succeed. I mean you really think the disc manufacturers are developing new and better discs for the average player? No they develop the discs hoping the pros use them and the rest of us buy them. I would love to see these guys/gals make a good living by playing disc golf. That just means more and better equipment for the rest of us.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I imagine that disc golf companies are certainly targeting average players. Hasn't Innova just about said this outright with the restructuring of the USDGC? They know that the average players are the ones buying lots of merchandise.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't consider what the pros are throwing and then emulate them. Maybe some people are impressed by Ken Climo or Nate Doss-endorsed discs, but that's just not a factor in my deciding on what disc to buy.

However, I'm sure this community would be more inclined to give some money if Avery had given some technique advice.

If I were a touring pro, one whose primary source of income was playing the game, sitting online giving out free advise would be the last thing I would be doing. I would be charging for that type of a service.

Sponsored vids (ala DC clinic vids) are a nice middle ground because we get descent free vids and (hopefully) the sponsors are paying their pros for their time.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I imagine that disc golf companies are certainly targeting average players. Hasn't Innova just about said this outright with the restructuring of the USDGC? They know that the average players are the ones buying lots of merchandise.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't consider what the pros are throwing and then emulate them. Maybe some people are impressed by Ken Climo or Nate Doss-endorsed discs, but that's just not a factor in my deciding on what disc to buy.
Well when you go to check out there site and see the latest and greatest they don't show the average player they show the pros.

As far the USDGC if you check the website you will see that this will only happen on odd years and I would imagine in the long run it will go away totally. Why do you think that happened because there was more than a few pros that really did not care for the way they did it and threatened to not play. NO pros no reason for anybody to come and watch basically so the pros basically changed the thinking on that real quick. I wouldn't drive a couple hundred miles to watch an average player.

Ok this is really off topic and I am sorry I was part of that so let's get this thing funded so that we can all see this movie. I like the idea and hopefully it will happen.

If I were a touring pro, one whose primary source of income was playing the game, sitting online giving out free advise would be the last thing I would be doing. I would be charging for that type of a service.

I don't think there's much money to be made charging for such a service. At any rate, this isn't about money, it's about growing the sport. At least that's what Avery said, and I believe him.

Sponsored vids (ala DC clinic vids) are a nice middle ground because we get descent free vids and (hopefully) the sponsors are paying their pros for their time.

Hence the Flying Disc Mag Climo/Borg video. You have to pay the production company to shoot it, then the pro's (talent) deserve to get paid, and probably the most since they are letting in on "secrets" that make them money. That video could have easily cost over $20k to make. The jib alone they used would rent for almost $1K/day. Then camera's and crew. If we based DGPlanet.tv stuff on a normal budget we would be over $20k in the hole for every shoot. Camera guys command $500-$600 a day without gear. So for a 3 day shoot there is $3k just to have them there. That doesn't include the expenses that are normally covered and gear. This is a labor of love for all of us, and Derrick is putting out way more labor for love than anyone. He could be commanding $100/hr editing time since he has an Emmy. I for one would like to see a $30k drive to help Derrick actually pay his mortgage/rent for the past year or two he has dedicated to this project.
What he is asking for is chicken scratch compared to what he should be getting. Disc Golfers are not the heavy pocketed heads of industry like our ball golf brethren. It is not as cool to brag about qualifiying for the USDGC as it is to brag about a 3 handicap during a board meeting. That's how it is, so we scramble to get 30K for the first full length documentary instead of 30k for a 30 min segment on Golf Channel on Arnold Palmer, or Payne Stewarts son. (yes i worked on it, and my three days of work accounted for over 3 grand)
We do this for love. Some of us love disc golf, and other things, and for Derrick it's video. Rise up to the challenge and even a dollar is something in a positive direction. Haters grow up.

Avery's in first place after the first round at the PDGA Championships! Go AJ! Maybe he'll donate some of those winnings to chains lol.

Thanks!!! It was a great start to the PDGA Championships!!!

And just so you know, I have already donated over $300 in rental equipment fees thus far and I will probably be donating more before it's all said and done. Just so that everyone knows, Derek Hastings recorded the entire film on rented or borrowed equipment due to the outrageous prices of Camera Equipment. Like I said before, it's not a cheap endeavor.

Plus I have donated a lot of time and effort into promoting this Documentary, hence the time that I spent answering questions of Disc Golf forums convincing people that it's not a so-called "scam" and it's a just cause going towards a project that will only help to better the Sport that we all love!!

Thanks to everyone that has made contributions to the film so far and to those that plan on donating before the November 14th Deadline (The Kickstarter Fundraising Site only allows a 60 Day Maximum).

52 Days and Counting...............still lots of fundraising to go!!!

If people want me to donate, let me know where it's going. Not just "music and promotion." That's all I asked. If you're going to ask for money, it's only fair to show where exactly it will go. I'd be more willing to donate if that were the case.

Please donate to the Film if you want to donate. I am not here to persuade someone to contribute to a Disc Golf Documentary that they really don't want to and feel that they personally don't want to see the sport grow. Even if this is by far the Best Disc Golf Film ever produced at this point, portraying our sport in a positive light and possibly getting us some very good promotion in the mainstream.

I donated to the Invisible String - Frisbee Documentary months ago on the Kickstarter site because I wanted to help with project and possible help them to promote Disc/Frisbee Sports in general. I know that they made their goal of $25,000, I was just hoping that I could generate at least that and more in this massive Disc Golf Community full of players that want to see this sport grow and increasing it's popularity!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frisbee/frisbee-documentary-the-invisible-string

When we make our $30,000 goal, I will glad post a list of expenditures if that will increase the number of players donating to the Documentary.

52 Days and Counting..............until our $30,000 Fundraising Goal!!!

Avery,
I'll be donating to support the project, just like I did when I got one of the $50 Star Team Aviars from you. You're a class act, and please ignore the naysayers. :)

Tim S.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to sign my 4 year old daughter's mini disc at Worlds! It's her favorite one (Valerie signed it too).

You seem to be suggesting a quid pro quo approach to this issue. I reviewed Avery's post history- there's this thread and a few posts in the market place. Avery has yet to "donate" any of his extensive disc golf knowledge to this site.

Personally, I think the Chains doc is a worthy endeavor. However, I'm sure this community would be more inclined to give some money if Avery had given some technique advice.

I did not mean to imply any pro owed us anything. We just can not expect things of them and then shoot them down when they ask us for something.

I don't think there's much money to be made charging for such a service. At any rate, this isn't about money, it's about growing the sport. At least that's what Avery said, and I believe him.

nvm Spicoli, I think you missed the point...... :doh:

cant today but get paid next week and ill see what i can do brotha, gl with everything and cant wait to see this bad boy :thmbup:

Thanks!!! It was a great start to the PDGA Championships!!!

And just so you know, I have already donated over $300 in rental equipment fees thus far and I will probably be donating more before it's all said and done. Just so that everyone knows, Derek Hastings recorded the entire film on rented or borrowed equipment due to the outrageous prices of Camera Equipment. Like I said before, it's not a cheap endeavor.

Plus I have donated a lot of time and effort into promoting this Documentary, hence the time that I spent answering questions of Disc Golf forums convincing people that it's not a so-called "scam" and it's a just cause going towards a project that will only help to better the Sport that we all love!!

Thanks to everyone that has made contributions to the film so far and to those that plan on donating before the November 14th Deadline (The Kickstarter Fundraising Site only allows a 60 Day Maximum).

52 Days and Counting...............still lots of fundraising to go!!!

I say donating time is more valuable than just straight cash . . .its also way more rewarding, if I can help a project out I will do so.

I am not a nehsayer or someone calling this a scam, but I do have some questions or concerns about donating money to this venture.

Maybe you can answer this question Avery . . . how will this documentary be used to promote the sport to people not already in the game? I can totally see why every serious disc golfer out there might want to get a copy of this . . . its kindof like a golf course superintendent owning Caddyshack because of Bill Murrays character, but why would someone who doesn't play come across this movie? It has a meaning to all disc golfers out there, but how does this relate and how will it promote the game to non players? I think money should be spent on distributing DVDs to schools rather than having showings all over the country. Who is going to come to these showings and how do they get tickets? My guess is it would be a lot of already avid disc golfers, sure it might strengthen their feelings about the sport, but is it really helping to promote the sport? These are the questions I would like to see answered before I donate cash to the project.

I financially supported the discgolfplanet.tv venture because a friend of mine (Terry Miller) is involved in the broadcasts and I think it is the next logical step to getting disc golf on television (although I still think it is a long way off), plus I really wanted to watch all those live broadcasts (when we were paying per event), and then I paid the one time membership fee even though I could have continued to watch "for free". I think having the live broadcasts on the internet can draw in a lot of people who may not already be infatuated with the game . . . people are always looking for something new to do on the internet.

Perhaps I am reading too far into this and should just donate like $50 to the cause . . . knowing it will be good for the sport in anyway.

Mike Harrington

I don't donate to DGCR, I have bought certain privileges like an expanded inbox, and the ability to exclude courses I've played from a search.

If I had a jesters cap, then you have a point.

If you want to make it like that, then Avery is asking you to pre-purchase the dvd and get your name in the credits for x amount of dollars. You are just buying something, you aren't donating. :wall::wall:

"oh I'm not donating, I'm paying for a service". Keep playing semantics in another thread.

I will be donating by the deadline, good luck Avery, I'd like to see this finally be released.

Ok, I am convinced. Based on Avery's awesome response (and decorum) here I will donate something to the cause before the deadline (even though I'm stinking unemployed). I can't promise it will be much, but it will be more than it would have been before (nothing). How about this, if AJ wins this weekend I'll donate $100! (no pressure haha)

Edit: I'm hoping AJ is willing to step up and donate $100 if I win advanced. :popcorn: I'm in 19th after the first rd. :|

I didn't stick around for the screening tonight. I was just too worn out after the 3.5hr round. I guess I'll be anticipating the release even more now.

No one ever answered my question about dvd vs. theater release. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

If you want to make it like that, then Avery is asking you to pre-purchase the dvd and get your name in the credits for x amount of dollars. You are just buying something, you aren't donating. :wall::wall:

"oh I'm not donating, I'm paying for a service". Keep playing semantics in another thread.

I will be donating by the deadline, good luck Avery, I'd like to see this finally be released.

Who asked you, anyway? I was trying to have a discussion on where the money is going, why it is going there, and the implications of donating the money.

Avery has been a super stand up guy about it, and has persuaded me that it is a good cause, and not a marketing device. I said "prove me wrong", and he did. So I will be donating.

You, on the other hand, made it a personal attack. Good job. :thmbup:

I don't donate to DGCR, I have bought certain privileges like an expanded inbox, and the ability to exclude courses I've played from a search.

If I had a jesters cap, then you have a point.

I have a jester hate because I donate to things that help promote the sport, and this site does that, as will this movie. People who don't want the sport to grow should leave the site because you are all part of a 1 million post machine with 20,000 members and growing.

I have a jester hate because I donate to things that help promote the sport, and this site does that, as will this movie. People who don't want the sport to grow should leave the site because you are all part of a 1 million post machine with 20,000 members and growing.

Hate hate hate... I don't hate.

I'm in. Listening to all the back and forth bitching on this thread makes me think I'm at work, but hey it's free entertainment. If you like the documentary/growing the sport concept that's fine. If you want to keep it underground and play at obscure courses in the deep woods, that's fine as well. I don't mind seeing the sport try to spread it's wings and get out of the nest. That's my two cents worth.