• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chainstar Lite — releasing late 2017

Discraft Chainstar lite...

Hey there, practice baskets can be a little hard to choose, lots of choices/prices. I did a fair

amount of research. People seem to be quite happy with the MVP/AXIOM Pro's, lighter weight,

catch fine from what I've read. Innova Sport's been around a long time, and folks seem happy

with them, some add extra chains. Heavier, long lasting, well built. I have only personally

putted on: Innova sport's, DGA M-14s, Discraft Mach lite. I think DGA M-14 gets a bad rap. I

have putted on one since 2001/2002, good practice basket, lightweight, super easy to set up,

portable, I got a deal price. Nowadays unless a sale comes up, I believe there are other better

options. I also own a Discraft Mach lite. It is well built and sturdy, it is not as portable. as it is

heavier than some baskets. It catches as well as some Course baskets in my opinion. They can

be a decent deal if found on sale. The DD recruit has the wheel, is heavier and folks seem

happy with it, I have not putted on one, or on the mvp/axioms. When I was looking I was set

on an Axiom, and went mach lite because sale made it worth it. Lat64 baskets seem quality

Darkclark got some for crazy deals, seems happy with them. Good luck choosing a basket,

they are worth it, and fun!

I meant Discraft Chainstar lite everytime I wrote "Discraft mach lite" :doh:

I meant Discraft Chainstar lite everytime I wrote "Discraft mach lite" :doh:

Lol, I gotcha! I just pulled the trigger. Both Walmart and Amazon had the chainstar lite for $124. It amounted to $130 after tax. I suppose I could have waited for more info or even a better deal, but I gotta get those practice putts in before a tourney on 10/20!

Keep a close eye on the top nub. I lost mine sometime between taring it down after a night of league when we needed temp baskets due to flooding and an ace race for the same reason.

Had to run to a local hardware store with the pole in hand to find a bolt that would fit. The day was saved, but now I need a wrench to set up the basket. :wall:

How's the basket?

Lol, I gotcha! I just pulled the trigger. Both Walmart and Amazon had the chainstar lite for $124. It amounted to $130 after tax. I suppose I could have waited for more info or even a better deal, but I gotta get those practice putts in before a tourney on 10/20!

Nice! Hope you've been enjoying practicing putting on your new basket. :thmbup:

One basket people seem to be unhappy with other then cheep non named baskets is the Westside Discs single chain model. That basket is so heavy for being the size and shape of a DGA Mach I/Pole Hole as people have commented the screw togther metal pole is about the same as a screw together set of metal black Gas piping.

Has anyone actually owned and/or used both the Chainstar lite and black hole pro? A qualified comparison of the two would be nice.

Bought 2 ChainStar Lites today. (CSL) I also own 2 Black Hole Pros (BHP).
First Impressions-
CSL- heavier than most in this price range, due to larger materials
-design, specifically of chain attachments on top is more advanced/solid than others in this price range.
-tray/basket has square outer ring shape, as opposed to slanted

BHP-lighter overall, by about 8 pounds, if shipping info is correct
-design seems top heavy, with the amount of chains vs. rod gauge of the base assembly

Performance- (100ish putts on CSL)
I always try and figure out the weak spots on a new basket, in terms of catching. While I think overall these two baskets catch the same number of putts, my observations are as follows. (Bear in mind, I have a firm spin putt)
BHP- catches well in the heart (low, centered) but will push perimeter putts out. Not too many spit through a, but not zero. Occasional bounce outside off center pole.
CSL- also catches well in the heart. Odd zone in the higher part off center where 7/10+ will go all the way through. Further out, it will catch some that probably shouldn't stay in. Low occurrence of pole bounce outside, assuming flat entry.

Conclusion: I like both. Performance and price are very similar. I'd say they both catch good (well aimed and weighted) putts well. Will update with durability/catch info in the future.

Just got one for Xmas. They are down to $121 from amazon. Setup took 3 minutes and is fool proof. First thing will be to add a permanent sleeve into the ground for the backyard

Took the cap to home Depot and found thread pitch, and pipe size. I jb welded an m12x1.75 x 2 bolt and 3 washers into the pipe. Now, I can thread everything together in the same fashion as the portable base. I am going to bury a few in the yard to have different, semi permanent pin placements.

Here is a link for proper install into the ground

https://www.discgolf.com/disc-golf-...rse-design/disc-golf-basket-installation/?amp

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_094243.jpg
    IMG_20181231_094243.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181231_125815.jpg
    IMG_20181231_125815.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181231_135025.jpg
    IMG_20181231_135025.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
Don't loose the top cap like I did. That sucks. I was bringing my basket in for an ace race, and realized it was missing. Had to wait until the local hardware store was open to find a bolt that would work. Looks kinda like ass, and is a bit harder to setup without the top. Someday I'll contact Discraft to see if they have any replacements.

Baskets still holding up to the elements?

You nailed it. The stand-mount version of these baskets go for $300 from the European disc shops.
5es4g7.jpg

2,499 Swedish Krona equals 302.20 US Dollar
2073kib.jpg

249 Euro equals 306.55 US Dollar

My baskets are holding up well. Will see what the summer sun does to them ...
2s63uxt.jpg

Just wondering how your baskets have held up to winter/summer cycles, good I hope?

You nailed it. The stand-mount version of these baskets go for $300 from the European disc shops.
5es4g7.jpg

2,499 Swedish Krona equals 302.20 US Dollar
2073kib.jpg

249 Euro equals 306.55 US Dollar

My baskets are holding up well. Will see what the summer sun does to them ...
2s63uxt.jpg

That is the same baskets as the USA price of $299.00-$300 Dynamic disc Patriot. At least it looks like that one, so if that is true the Patriot holds up well to the elements. Odd the Portable basket is cheaper then the in ground On Amazon due to shipping on the in ground system, could also buy portable that need shipping too.

Last edited:
I just want to say that I got my pink chainstar lite yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. It's my third basket. The first was a $60 galvanized thing that still sits rust-free in my backyard. Then I got a Black Hole knockoff (Yaheetech or somebody made it) for $90 and it's not a bad indoor target but it has some quirks (like the chains falling off) and doesn't catch as well with the single layer 24 chain "curtain" as I had hoped. This chainstar lite, however, is appreciably better. The basket wire gauge is at least 50% thicker, the pole threads together nicely, and the chains themselves are a much heavier gauge than the fake Black Hole. I guess what I wanted to say on this thread is that if you are looking for an ultra-cheap basket, you can find ones that suit your needs under $60. On the other hand, if I was going to spend 80-100, I'd dish out a little more (you can get a silver chainstar lite from Amazon for $119 with prime shipping) and get the chainstar lite. This thing is sturdy and very well built.

Good deal...

I just want to say that I got my pink chainstar lite yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. It's my third basket. The first was a $60 galvanized thing that still sits rust-free in my backyard. Then I got a Black Hole knockoff (Yaheetech or somebody made it) for $90 and it's not a bad indoor target but it has some quirks (like the chains falling off) and doesn't catch as well with the single layer 24 chain "curtain" as I had hoped. This chainstar lite, however, is appreciably better. The basket wire gauge is at least 50% thicker, the pole threads together nicely, and the chains themselves are a much heavier gauge than the fake Black Hole. I guess what I wanted to say on this thread is that if you are looking for an ultra-cheap basket, you can find ones that suit your needs under $60. On the other hand, if I was going to spend 80-100, I'd dish out a little more (you can get a silver chainstar lite from Amazon for $119 with prime shipping) and get the chainstar lite. This thing is sturdy and very well built.

Glad you enjoy your Chainstar lite!

Jealous, when I bought my Chainstar lite they did not offer Pink. That to me is the best/most

visible color aside from hunter blaze orange! Agreed on the fact that it is sturdy and well built,

also has a normal shaped catching device/basket compared to lots of other baskets that are

angled. Interested in info on your $60 Galvanized basket. I did not realize it was possible to

get a Galvanized basket at that price point! Definitely surprises me that people drool about the

Mvp black hole/Axiom baskets when to me they don't look as nice as the Chainstar lite which

can be bought for less money and is pdga rated Standard compared to the other Basic rated

models. Nothing against basic models, my M-14 and Mach lite are basic as well. They all catch

discs. That's what's important!

Glad you enjoy your Chainstar lite!

Jealous, when I bought my Chainstar lite they did not offer Pink. That to me is the best/most

visible color aside from hunter blaze orange! Agreed on the fact that it is sturdy and well built,

also has a normal shaped catching device/basket compared to lots of other baskets that are

angled. Interested in info on your $60 Galvanized basket. I did not realize it was possible to

get a Galvanized basket at that price point! ... They all catch

discs. That's what's important!

So yeah, when I first bought a basket, I was not willing to shell out tons of money on it. This is the basket that I got, although it's up to $76.99 as of this writing. It is still out in my yard doing well, and since none of my yard is outside of C2, it works just fine. I was looking at the more recent reviews and was kind of alarmed to see the rusting chains on one person's basket. I bought my basket in 2017 and it has been outside in the Pittsburgh weather ever since and still has no rust except on the push button spring release to separate the tubes. The vendor does reiterate in the questions that "The base and basket are galvanized and the chains are stainless steele [sic] to prevent rust and last for years and years. It's designed to be kept outside for permanent holes or moved around for practice."
My basket has held up this whole time as advertised.
That said, it's also only 14 chains (alternated large/small radius).
It's only blown over once in a really bad thunderstorm.

It's definitely inferior to my chainstar lite, but I trust it outdoors which I can't say about my other indoor basket (the Black Hole knockoff)

Yeah...

So yeah, when I first bought a basket, I was not willing to shell out tons of money on it. This is the basket that I got, although it's up to $76.99 as of this writing. It is still out in my yard doing well, and since none of my yard is outside of C2, it works just fine. I was looking at the more recent reviews and was kind of alarmed to see the rusting chains on one person's basket. I bought my basket in 2017 and it has been outside in the Pittsburgh weather ever since and still has no rust except on the push button spring release to separate the tubes. The vendor does reiterate in the questions that "The base and basket are galvanized and the chains are stainless steele [sic] to prevent rust and last for years and years. It's designed to be kept outside for permanent holes or moved around for practice."
My basket has held up this whole time as advertised.
That said, it's also only 14 chains (alternated large/small radius).
It's only blown over once in a really bad thunderstorm.

It's definitely inferior to my chainstar lite, but I trust it outdoors which I can't say about my other indoor basket (the Black Hole knockoff)

:thmbup:
From reviewer...

Some reviewers commented about the galvanizing. This basket is "electro-galvanized" as opposed to "hot dip galvanizing" as found on the heavy duty course baskets. It will not be as rust resistant, but aren't most of us going to store it anyway?

My bad. Thought it was hot-dipped galvanized, which would not be sold for $60.

Some folks are lucky and they don't rust.