• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Champion Wraith and Star Wraith

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
Can anyone tell me how these two Wraiths compare? I got a 170g Champion Wraith and only got to throw it a little bit before the weather changed. It seemed somewhat overstable and it really wanted to float up in the air so I had to aim it down and give it anhyzer which I thought felt kind of goofy while throwing and aiming. I was wondering how the Star compares in terms of stability and I also wanted this disc to be lighter but 170 was the lightest Champ I could find.

I have a DX Wraith that is super flippy so I am looking for a Wraith that I can throw somewhat flat and be successful with.

Wraiths come all over the place as far as high speed stability. Star is the most consistent plastic if you're looking to match the flight numbers but Innova is full of exceptions. My most OS Wraith is a 12x star, pre flight #'s but since I carry 3 Wraiths total, I find it useful to use it in place of my stable star on windy days. My advice is to find one that you like (even a buddys') then take it to a disc golf shop and find one in the same plastic, weight, and parting line height. However, if the used disc you are brining is beat considerably, the new one will be more stable until it gets beat to the same point.

Other than that, good luck.

Last edited:
Yea champ is more over stable than star by a little bit, star beats quicker of course, if you are wanting something not so stable try the pro they go far.

Sounds like a Pro would be your best bet. I've had Champions and Stars, they can be beefy for sure. My experience is that the Champion was less stable then the Stars. Small sample size though.

I think the faster the disc, the greater effects the PLH has on stability and when you're fishing for a disc in the middle (stable to just overstable), you're asking for the broadest range. That and the disc being popular hence, getting more runs and more different types of plastics and weights.

Innova's Wraith, Destroyer, Boss, and Katana all come to mind.

There are some variance in both star and champ. i throw both. They start beafy but wear in sweet long gliding straight discs until hss start to disappear and they come nice hyzerflip machines and eventually understable anhyzer bombers. best ones i have have nice continuous arch top. there was some flat topped ones with corner on the wing. they were too overstable and didn't have any glide.

I carry several wraiths in different plastics.
175 Pro - Rollers and get out of trouble shots
167 DX - understable long drives
167 Champ - Stable
167 Star - Very overstable sidearm shots
150 Blizz - Bomber

The DX is very long and straight out of the box

Try and find a high 160's 7/10 star in the MP. I'm sure there are a few kicking around. The wraith is my favorite distance driver by far. It just feels right in my hand.

I carry 3-4 depending on the course.

A high 160's Pro Wraith will do what your asking right out the box. The only downside is they get flippy pretty fast. A Star Wraith will take some time to beat in but it'll stay in its sweet spot for a long time.

Wraiths are like ex-girlfriends.

Ill just leave it at that. Pick em up and who knows what to expect. Throw em around enough you will get used to it but they are hard to replace yet you always looking for new ones.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :thmbup: I was originally considering Star because I like that plastic but it sounds like some of those can be pretty beefy. I'll have to wait until the weather gets warm to finally figure out what to do. I want to throw my Champ Wraith some more but I was thinking about trading it in for a different one.

Ill just leave it at that. Pick em up and who knows what to expect. Throw em around enough you will get used to it but they are hard to replace yet you always looking for new ones.
This is simply amazing :D

Wraiths were the first Distance drivers I really got into.. Hence the perfect analogy-- and man I hated buying new ones to replace my lost ones. I did throw a blizzard 150 wraith with flat top and was a lot of fun recently but nothing like a champ or star from my good old forehand days. Another reason the wraith and I had a love hate relationship is that its just OS enough to handle most FH shots but you OAT it or get torque happy and it doesn't come back (noob problems) now its just a matter of finding 2 that are the same and a OS wraith is just horrible.. remind me of the teedevils that had weird tops Vulcan or something and NO glide.

Beat that champ up. A girlfriend worth keeping around can handle a good beating.

seems to always be the best bet with premium plastics. I hate when they look nice you just know it flies like ****.

the good seasoning of a premium disc has made me totally change my mind on some of them-- cannon for example.

I was a wraith thrower for a long time and still am kinda.. I have them in every plastic, but pro and dx were always for big turnovers and rollers they could be stable for a while if u don't have a lot of armspeed like <300 feet. but my star wriath I got my longest throw with ever and it is about 3 years old for me and I got it used and it has never changed how it flies. throw it flat and it does a tight s curve and it always finished left. champion wraiths tend to be more stable. I had a flat top 165 champ that would fly on a huge s curve from new then I had a 172 that I could throw really hard and turn a bit maybe 5 feet right then have a long straight fade but I also have two champ 175s that are xcaliber like they are very overstable. so I would say get a champion one if u want it to stay the same for a long time and be really over stable (for a wraith) or get a star and it will wear into a tight s curving disc for u

Wraith is my favorite distance driver. In the summer I may carry two, but sometimes carry as many as three of them. The Champion I have owned have all been very overstable compared to the other plastics. My favorite distance plastic is Pro until it really beats in then it becomes my anhyzer or S curve disc. I think the Star is the most consistent. On tree holes I usually use the Star instead of the Pro so the Pro will not beat up as quickly. Also, I tend to throw weights marked from 166-169. I find most of them actually weigh a little more than marked.

In the winter I use the FLX Surge instead of one of the Wraiths. I really like the FLX plastic in cold weather. Sometimes in a dense tree course I will also use the FLX Surge instead of the Wraith. The FLX plastic does not seem to bounce as far off into the deep stuff on average as bad as Champion or Star type plastics.

from my experience in my wraith throwing days, and i threw a lot of em, pair a star up with a pro or two. obvious reasons. star is just os enough to where its not like a firebird os, but has a decent fade. pro for stable shots and a beat pro for understable. i love the old preflight number pro wraiths those were money. the new pro cannot handle a tree hit well. dx just become flip machines if your into that. and champ wraiths were just beefy. so typical innova-champ is more overstable than star. marshall street has some 167 champ wraiths havent checked any other sites though.

^^love this and yes. each one is good enough to stay with you for a while but not forever.

i bag those wonderful pd's everyone has been jizzin over. i dropped the wraiths from my bag and they have been with me from the beginning. not saying a pd or wraith are interchangeable or anything exactly similar. but pds are my cycling d driver now

Latest posts