• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing hole distances?

BigBelly

So I figured out the distances listed on here for a course I play at often are wrong. I went out and used the gps on my phone to take measurements but I don't know if I should be the one to change distances for all the holes since, let's face it, I'm new and I don't think a phone gps is the most reliable piece of equipment...

The course is the Arapahoe Community College course in Littleton, CO. If there are any of you near there, let me know if you feel like going out and checking and maybe we could compare notes.

I measured for all long and short tees, with the exception of holes 2 and 1 (the ones that need it the most) because my phone died. I started at pin 9 and just worked my way backwards from there using the current course map. The distances marked for pins 1 and 2 are from the old course layout, and I noted some slight deviation on several of the others as well.

If any locals have an idea or two, lemme know! Thanks

If you're hesitant to be the one to make the changes, check out the "Change History" tab on the course info page. You can get an idea of who is keeping the info up-to-date (particularly look for entries titled "hole info"). You never know, the distances could have been updated by another player who just decided to pace out each hole.

You can PM anyone that is maintaining the course info with the data that you gathered. More than likely though, your GPS measurements are going to be as accurate as any other measurements taken and no one will have any problem with you updating that information.

How far off are your numbers from what is listed? Could it be due to measuring flight path vs as the crow flys?

EX. for dogleg holes, it makes more sense to measure the flight path.

How far off are your numbers from what is listed? Could it be due to measuring flight path vs as the crow flys?

EX. for dogleg holes, it makes more sense to measure the flight path.

Nah, everything is fairly straight on, no doglegs. Most were minor that I would leave alone but a few others we enough to make me question.

If there are already signs posted, I would just leave it, as someone before too long is likely to see your changes, then see that they differ from the signage and change them back.

And yes, any consumer grade GPS isn't going to be all that accurate with a single measurement.

And yes, any consumer grade GPS isn't going to be all that accurate with a single measurement.

This ^^

GPS can have your position off by 30'. Do that twice to measure something and your measurement could be off by 60'.

i want to get a laser scope or something to measure distances...would be nice for measuring length of drive, how far to the basket....i don't trust many signs any more.

whats the best ways to measure? and then what's the best...affordable way to measure?

I posted a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport for sale in the Marketplace. Just thought I'd let ya know! :D

Latest posts