• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

charging for returned discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's where the disc was that this question hinges on. If it was in the water I would gladly either pay you or tell you to keep it if I didn't really want it back. On land you'd give it back for free, since they probably looked for it and just couldn't find it.

Although when I was a kid and did this with my brother I would call regardless, and was told to keep it 75% of the time.

Charging more for premium plastic seems a little "ransomy" to me. I do think someone who goes in after discs (especially in nasty water) deserves a little something. I think $2-3 bucks regardless of disc fair. I'd probably pay $5 for a well worn favorite star mold but I would rather pay $3.

ive been diging in the water, i think ive found 2 all year with phone numbers on the back, alot of em have there name but thats it, why take the time to ink it, but not put a phone number on it?

ohh and i give em back for free if i find owner, unless its a 15 year old kid who i see throw it in, get mad and do soemthing like kick the basket or sign, or throw a bottle in the water, then ill prolly keep the disc

This is how our conversation would go:
"Hey, I found two discs with your name on them in the lake."
"Cool, thanks for calling."
"One is a white Star Destroyer and the other is an orange Champ Wraith."
"Yup, that's them. Lost them both a couple weekends back."
"Your finder's fee total will be 9 dollars."
"Excuse me?"
"I charge 5 dollars for Star and 4 for Champion plastic."
"Ummmmm....what? Are you serious?...for my own discs?"
"Yes, but my fees would have been slightly less if it was DX or Pro plastic. I spent 20 minutes diving for these discs yesterday. You don't expect me to just..."
"**** off."
==click==

I don't have a problem with it. If I didn't go in the water after it I forfeited the right to the disc and getting it back is gravy.

I don't have a problem with it. If I didn't go in the water after it I forfeited the right to the disc and getting it back is gravy.

i agree, but if by time i ge tto the car to get my stuff out and get it back, someone else already has it, imma be mad if they dont give it to me, i accidently did that to someone the other day, i gave him his disc back, and offed to help him look for another one he put in.

"Excuse me?"
"Yes, but my fees would have been slightly less if it was DX or Pro plastic. I spent 20 minutes diving for these discs yesterday. You don't expect me to just..."
"**** off."
==click==

nice!! i might have added a few colorful words then hung up on the greedy DB

You guys know there really is no such thing as karma, right? I mean, if you think returning a disc is the right thing to do, that's fine. But I hope you don't seriously expect to be rewarded by the universe.

I certainly would offer a few bucks to anyone whom returned my discs, up to 5 dollars is reasonable. Depending how much effort they put into getting it for you.

Of the disc you find, what % have names & numbers? Of the disc with names and numbers, what % return your call and want the disc back?
all seven that i pulled out had names and numbers. four were returned within an hour, im mailing another one next week, and maybe meeting up with another one. i sill havent heard back from the last guy
$2 or $3 sounds like a price that I'd be willing to pay to get my disc back from you as a service fee for fishing it out, but if you ask me for $5 to get back a disc that already has my name on it (my disc), I could get irritable. For me $5 is about where the psychological barrier hits. It helps if you went diving in a lake for it, but you'd better make sure not to charge for a disc you found on dry ground. That could really piss people off.
as far as im concerned if you dont have to do any work for it then there is no point for even wanting a reward(ie finding a disc in the fairway)

all seven that i pulled out had names and numbers. four were returned within an hour, im mailing another one next week, and maybe meeting up with another one. i sill havent heard back from the last guy

That is very differenct percentages than we have down here. I would say around 30% - 40% of the discs I find have a name & number. Of those, about half either say keep it or don't return the call. Thus, I get to keep most of the discs I find and it makes it worth my while.

I wouldn't mind paying 2-3 dollars for a disc submerged in water...I was at a tournament and threw my upshot into the river (it was actually leaning on a dry patch and some of it was in the water, well more like leaning on mud..but still) There were kids on the other side getting discs out for people...the kid takes a shoe and sock off and throws me my disc! (I could have EASILY, gotten it myself, hell I was going to until I seen him go for it) anyways...long story short, when I got to the other side he asked if i had a couple bucks....kinda blew my mind...A. becuase he ASKED me for money. B. he asked me for money for a disc that basically required NO work....I gave him 2 bucks anyways, but still blew my mind.....

Here is the system that the course proprietor uses in San Diego. He pays out a $1 for each returned lost disc ot the finder and then you pay him $2 to retrieve it. Everyone has extra incentive to turn lost plastic in (karma may not be enough incentive for some...), the player gets the disc back for $2 and the concession makes a $1 for the hassle of maintaining the system. Seems slick......

You guys know there really is no such thing as karma, right? I mean, if you think returning a disc is the right thing to do, that's fine. But I hope you don't seriously expect to be rewarded by the universe.

Karma in the big-picture Hindu sense may or may not exist, but I do believe a more "localized karma" exists. There is a local course near where I work where I have gotten to know most of the locals and we're always cool with each other and will play rounds together and what-not. I've lost a few discs out there, but they had my old number on them and didn't really expect to get them back. But since the locals and I were always cool with each other they knew who I was they and held the disc until the next time they saw me at the course. Three were pulled out of the creek and the other was pulled out of some extremely thick weeds. None of them asked for anything in return, nor expected anything.

On one occasion, I had mentioned to one of the locals where I worked and he had pulled two of my discs out of an extremely muddy creek and he stopped by my office one afternoon to return the discs, both of which didn't even have my name on them, but I had mentioned that I had sunk a couple Drones in the creek on 17 to him. Even though he asked for nothing, I ended up letting him keep a 20 dollar limited edition Z World's Drone for going the extra mile to get them back to me. Localized karma seems to have worked out well for me, and it seemed to work out for that guy too.

Last edited:
That is very differenct percentages than we have down here. I would say around 30% - 40% of the discs I find have a name & number. Of those, about half either say keep it or don't return the call. Thus, I get to keep most of the discs I find and it makes it worth my while.

the only reason i want to charge is because
1) I am going in the water and not them.
2) my gear wont pay for itself.

im not being selfish, at least i dont think so, but i mean 2-3 bucks for a disc that you lost beats paying 8-16 (local shop prices) for a new one. of course the discs i pulled werent all pond scummy, one was lost only three days before.

Last edited:
You're not being selfish, you're being entrepreneurial. You are providing them with a service, and you could make more money selling there high quality plastic to someone else then offering to return it to them for $4-5. You could just as easily wipe there info off and sell it but you're attempting to contact them and return there disc that you found on the bottom of a nasty pond.

I have no problem with you charging. And your finders fee doesn't seem over the top if you are taking the time and effort to fish them out. It would be nice for you to just offer them up for free, but if you want a few bucks for your time that's cool too. Depending on the disc I may or may not pay to get it back. With shipping and all I spend about $20 for a Champ tie dye. Your fee is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Now what are your rates for Elite Z & ESP?

BTW, for those debating the existence of karma... "Karma is a serious thing and a force to be reckoned with."

I would say half of what a new disc of that plastic would be fair.

DX $3-4
Pro $4-5
Champ $5-6
Star $6-7

I would normally pay these below prices for used so why would it be any different if it was my old disc?:

DX $5
Pro $6
Champ $8
Star $10

really? who would complain about tossing a guy $5 for getting in the water for your disc? I would pay that in a second. Don't be cheap. If you didn't go in after it, you lose it. $5 is nothing to get a disc.

I'm with you solomon, you're not being selfish with this at all. If anything, you're not being greedy enough, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
"Excuse me?"
"**** off."
==click==

you would think people would be a little more grateful than this. You people talk about karma, but when someone does something you are not willing to then gives you first dibs for it and a steal of a price and you act like a dick? please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts