• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Charity Auction Pricing Recommendations?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Hey there folk, I'm looking for some advice. If you venture over to the Tournaments forum you'll see I'm a part of running a charity event. We are going to run a silent auction throughout the day along with a ton of CTPs. I'd love some advice on the following:

1. Which discs should be CTPs?
2. Which discs should be auction items?
2b. What should we set the minimum bid at on the various items?
2c. Should there be a uniform minimum bid, or disc by disc?

The Discs
First Run Latitude 64 Ballista Pro
Prototype Dynamic Discs Sheriff
2016 Discraft Ace Race Disc
First Run Discraft Z Punisher
Discraft X-Clone Extra Overstable Cyclone Driver
First Run Fly High Train Wreck - Scott Stokely autographed
Dynamic Discs PDGA Disc Golfer's Code Truth
Discraft Full Color Great Lakes Open Buzzz Dynamic Discs branded
Innova 2014 Amateur Worlds G-Star Teebird eagle totem stamp
First Run Discraft ESP Crank
Latitude 64 Gold Line Saint limited edition stamp
Innova Paul McBeth 3x McPro Aviar 2014 Tour Series, signature stamp on bottom
First Run Discraft Z BuzzzOS
First Run Discraft Z Machete
Innova 10th Anniversary Boss
First Run Innova star stamp XT Bullfrog

We will have other dyed and donated discs as well, but we've only been prepping for this event this week so this is the first wave of auction/prize items we've got.

Thanks for any help.

The only discs from that list I would bid above retail prices for are the McPro Aviar and the Stokely autographed disc (and then again maybe not the stokely autograph...)

SO, if you want to run an auction, I would not set a minimum bid for the majority of those discs. I would list a "suggested first bid" but allow any bids to actually be placed. Set the suggested bid right around retail cost. Just my $.02

Another suggestion, how about a raffle for a couple of them in a shot? Raffles can bring in more than bids when the desirability isn't off the charts.

The only discs from that list I would bid above retail prices for are the McPro Aviar and the Stokely autographed disc (and then again maybe not the stokely autograph...)

SO, if you want to run an auction, I would not set a minimum bid for the majority of those discs. I would list a "suggested first bid" but allow any bids to actually be placed. Set the suggested bid right around retail cost. Just my $.02

Another suggestion, how about a raffle for a couple of them in a shot? Raffles can bring in more than bids when the desirability isn't off the charts.
Good idea on the raffle for a package set. Suggested first bid is something we might explore too. Minimum bid doesn't have to be too high. But I do get what you're saying.

I'm hopeful some of the protos/first runs will be good auction items because some people will see them as particularly sentimental if those are normally throwers. Someone who regularly throws a BuzzzOS may see that as a good sentimental pickup, and a charity as a good time to drop a few dollars on one - a minimum bid would keep it from going out for 10 bucks.

Or just write your own bid in for $10 or $15 on the important ones..

Raffles do well too, people will take a chance for $2. Many people....

Latest posts