• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte vs. Raleigh

I live in Mint Hill, east side of Charlotte. I routinely travel to Raleigh to visit my daughter at NC state. Nothing wrong with either choice. But if you like mountains more than oceans, Charlotte has a clear advantage. It's a long long drive to Asheville or Boone or even Wilkesboro, from Raleigh. Mint Hill to Raleigh is about 2 hrs and 15 minutes, taking 49 and 64. You will pass great courses on that route! I like Charlotte more. Good luck!

You're right around the corner from me there, I'm
In Midland-

To the OP- I've lived in downtown Raleigh and up to a half hour away, and all around Charlotte but not inside the city. As far as the downtown areas themselves, I like Raleigh better. Cleaner town, less traffic, tons to do. For living in the suburbs, I like Charlotte. Right now I'm 5 minutes east of the city limits, close enough to hop on a major highway, but still live in pretty much farmland. It's kind of a draw, both are great places to live.

For disc golf, I think Charlotte has the edge slightly on quality/quantity/proximity. Raleigh does have some great courses, and they aren't too far apart, but you can hit a different course in Charlotte 5-10 minutes apart, all week long, and play great course all week. The Winthrop golf course is right across the border, you can get a taste of hilly mountain golf inn wilkesboro/Asheville, and my personal favorite private course Stoney Hill is a couple hours away in SC.

You're right around the corner from me there, I'm
In Midland-

To the OP- I've lived in downtown Raleigh and up to a half hour away, and all around Charlotte but not inside the city. As far as the downtown areas themselves, I like Raleigh better. Cleaner town, less traffic, tons to do. For living in the suburbs, I like Charlotte. Right now I'm 5 minutes east of the city limits, close enough to hop on a major highway, but still live in pretty much farmland. It's kind of a draw, both are great places to live.

For disc golf, I think Charlotte has the edge slightly on quality/quantity/proximity. Raleigh does have some great courses, and they aren't too far apart, but you can hit a different course in Charlotte 5-10 minutes apart, all week long, and play great course all week. The Winthrop golf course is right across the border, you can get a taste of hilly mountain golf inn wilkesboro/Asheville, and my personal favorite private course Stoney Hill is a couple hours away in SC.

You forgot to mention that in Raleigh, you can meet random DGCR users at Cedar Hills that will commiserate with you while you are pushing a stroller while trying to play a round while your wife is at the theater.

. The Winthrop golf course is right across the border, you can get a taste of hilly mountain golf inn wilkesboro/Asheville, and my personal favorite private course Stoney Hill is a couple hours away in SC.

Well, Gosh.

Beyond that, Charlotte gives easy day-trip access to the booming Greenville-Spartanburg area, and to Augusta (IDGC, Langley Pond, and all the rest).

Though there's some doubt as to how much it matters, because Charlotte disc golfers have to first get tired of their own courses before venturing further afield. And that can take quite a while.

Yeah, many people that live in Charlotte Can't or Won't drive more than 10-15 minutes to go play a round of golf. It's pretty sad. Yes, we have many great courses here, but the real magic starts when you get to the mountains. I've had to BEG people to come up with me and play BlackJack, Sugaree, WinterSun, Ashe County, Etc. There's a whole new world out there, just 2 hours from Charlotte!

Yeah, many people that live in Charlotte Can't or Won't drive more than 10-15 minutes to go play a round of golf. It's pretty sad. Yes, we have many great courses here, but the real magic starts when you get to the mountains. I've had to BEG people to come up with me and play BlackJack, Sugaree, WinterSun, Ashe County, Etc. There's a whole new world out there, just 2 hours from Charlotte!

I used to work with people from Manhattan, NY and a couple claim to have never set foot out of NYC. They said why bother when everything you could want is right there. They have no idea where Missouri even is. Some people don't want to take the trouble to explore the world, which is nuts to me, but works for them.

I used to work with people from Manhattan, NY and a couple claim to have never set foot out of NYC. They said why bother when everything you could want is right there. They have no idea where Missouri even is. Some people don't want to take the trouble to explore the world, which is nuts to me, but works for them.

There's a lot of good DG out in the fly-over states!

Latest posts