• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chatham, NY

CaptainAnhyzer

* Ace Member *
In east NY area.......

Ven said:
The Chatham Town Board voted to approve the proposal to build a disc golf course on 104 acres surrounding the town hall and transfer station. All we need for the construction phase is one person OSHA certified on Chain Saws. Shari & I are seeking information on that. I already have a draft time line and fund raising brochure. I will send them to the DisCap Board for feedback and approval within a week. First up are a few delicate negotiations so it might take a few weeks to really get going.

Rolling hills with a couple creeks running thru. Thick pine groves to lace fairways thru. And right in the middle, a closed up gravel pit for the he-man bomb shots off cliffs and over pits.

The only hitch we can see is the wait to find out the plan for reclamation of the gravel pit to it's natural state. It's actually a good thing though because the town hall has like 20 parking stops and it's at the far end of the property. The gravel pit is smack in the middle, has a huge security gate and has potential for 100+ parking spots. And the more gravel pit area we utilize, the less the town has to pay for reclamation.

104 acres of mostly woods ???!!! How can we go wrong??

Cool stuff. I have great memories from that area having spent my senior year of high school and first 2 years of college in that area (lived just south in Claverack). Had some memorable track meets in Chatham and barfed on a whirly gig ride at the county fair.

Good luck with the course! With 104 acres you could easily have 3-4 great courses.

Cool stuff. I have great memories from that area having spent my senior year of high school and first 2 years of college in that area (lived just south in Claverack). Had some memorable track meets in Chatham and barfed on a whirly gig ride at the county fair.

Good luck with the course! With 104 acres you could easily have 3-4 great courses.

Sounds like you'll have another reason to visit the area someday. :hfive:

Yea, we spent about two hours walking the property and didn't get close to seeing it all. We're starting off small with a 9-hole loop near the town hall and once the gravel pit reclamation gets finalized, we can expand and incorporate some/all of the original 9 into something bigger.

More good news.......

I'll be meeting with Joe from the highway dept later this week to give him a tour of the 9 hole loop so he knows for sure where he'll be cutting. He thinks he should be able to get out there some time next week to start, and he's planning on using an excavator to haul the trees out which should help widen some of the paths, and makes less work for us. Also, I'll ask about the possibility of saving some good size logs for making benches or stools.

I'll also get a chance to talk with him about the gravel pit, which they said today they will be done with in October. Joe is also going to make arrangements for keeping the access road open and leaving a parking lot. So later this year we should have access to a lot more of the property.

Finally Disc Golf is coming to Columbia County! :clap:

Another course in the Capital Reigion !!!

OSHA certified in chain saw? Really? How many candidates are there for that in the capital area?

Niiiiice. Another course or courses for me to hit whenI am in the Adirondack Region every year. Thanks!!! It is appreciated

Niiiiice. Another course or courses for me to hit whenI am in the Adirondack Region every year. Thanks!!! It is appreciated
The DisCap motto is "More Baskets".

OSHA certified in chain saw? Really? How many candidates are there for that in the capital area?
LOL, same thing we thought when they first told us that......... no clue as to HOW you become OSHA Certified either. But the town said to mark 'em and they'll drop 'em.

More progress......
meanwoo-gene said:
Joe was able to take down all the trees i asked him to on Wednesday and he left some decent sized logs to make benches or stools. There is still a lot of wood to be cleared out plus all the fallen branches. He also offered to do some brush hogging in the field if I can mark trails down the fairways and walking paths.

After some additional trimming of branches and removing some Honeysuckle bushes and saplings, the fairways will be good to go. Then we need to clear out and level off tee areas where there are roots above ground or just uneven ground. I'll be out there Saturday morning around 9 -12.

Workday this Sunday !!
Final tree clearing and weedwhacking to get the first 9 holes playable.

If you follow the pink ribbons tied to tree limbs you should be able to follow it. The first hole starts on the grass driveway behind the parking lot. Continue up the driveway to hole two which goes into the woods on the left side. Turn right from 2's fairway to get to 3 which shoots straight up the hill, then go right to 4's tee staying along the top of the hill. After hole four go into the open field to the right and continue right towards one end of the field. Hole 5 turns to the right so halfway down you should see a pink ribbon tied to a Honeysuckle on the left side. Exit out of the field on that left side back into the woods and 6 starts just on the other side of the stream. Turn right after pin 6 and follow 7 over the hill where you will find the 8th tee to the left just down the hill. 8 goes up back into the open field and finnishes to the right again. Then a long walk back toward 5's tee and back out to 9 on the grass driveway.

kenjiac said:
I went out to Chatham today and helped install the 1st basket!!! :cool:

Gene and company have got a great start. 9 playable holes. The flow is little tricky. And some of the holes will be extended and tweaked as it gets played. 1 basket and bucket on poles for the other 8. Another homemade basket should go in this week. This the monthly coming up next Saturday has added prizes and we got a $150 cash donation to help our fundraising!!! Thank You Tierra Farms!! http://www.tierrafarm.com/

More progress !!

The initial 9 is cleared and ready for the installation of shiny new Discatchers. The current homemade pins will be used to work on the future 18 hole course.

10153117_10100886477094927_1687306311_n.jpg

1462947_10100886477309497_2043458532_n.jpg