• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago must play course?!?

7ontheline

Double Eagle Member
The wife drug me to the AVP volleyball tournament this weekend at Oak Street Breach. I'm planning on dropping her crew off in the morning and get my DG on.

Question is, where should I go( I can barely read the course discriptions on my old iPhone?) Thanks in advance

The beach where I'll be dropping them in the morning is on the North end of the Miracle Mile (Michigan ave.).
You have Fairfield Park in Round Lake on the north side with both Gold tees and White tees which plays like a separate course. Otherwise, go farther south for Dellwood and Highland near Joliet.

Also heard I need to eat a Portillo's hot dog??��

Not just a dog. You also need an Italian beef sandwich (dipped). It's a lot, but get both and thank me later.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to pick one, I'd go with the Italian beef or better yet the beef and sausage combo sandwich. Dipped with hot peppers of course. While Portillo's is good, there are a lot of little hot dog stands that are better. My favorite in the Joliet/Lockport area closed a few years back. I don't really know if a good one near either of Chuck's suggestions. Portillo's is a safe bet though and they are everywhere throughout the suburbs now.

You have Fairfield Park in Round Lake on the north side with both Gold tees and White tees which plays like a separate course. Otherwise, go farther south for Dellwood and Highland near Joliet.

Agree with both of these suggestions. Fairfield has overlapping white and gold layouts. Some holes have two baskets, some have two tees and there is a section of the course where the two layouts split and each has completely separate holes. The first few holes are in an open field, but don't worry, it gets a lot better.

The Canyons (Dellwood) in Lockport and Highland in Joliet is a great combo if you have time to play both. The Canyons is 27 holes that mixes open and wooded with elevation and a stream. Highland is 18 and almost entirely in the woods with some really fun use of elevation change.

Check the drive time from the drop off point to either Round Lake or Joliet and plan accordingly.

How much time do you have?

All day thanks to club passes court side today. Bought me a day of freedom. We head back Monday.

Google has Canyons and Highland Park 20 minutes closer and given my need to huck a lot of frisbees I'm going to try to hit both tomorrow.

Sounds like The Canyons DGC, Dellwood Park in Lockport, IL may be one of the best courses in the area, if not the state.

Highland Park has been one of the best courses in the Chicago area for years... janky old baskets and all.

Actually all new baskets were put in at Highland in 2016 by the Jtown Disc Golf club, and they are the good ones ( i.e., not innova) The old ones were the original Mach !'s from 1979, West Park, upgraded with 2nd chains. Many pin positions have also been changed making it longer, and even better than before. Highland from the Blues is the toughest course in the area. Canyons is the most scenic, with the best ameneties, but is more crowded as well.

Oh, and the best Italian beef hands down, is at Al's in Chicago, Taylor street near the UIC campus. Make sure to order with hot giardinara !

Been to Chicago once. Didn't golf. Had a great hot dog at Murphy's Bleachers. Local cops wanted to know about Oregon. They were cool. Come to think about it, I have nothing to add to this thread other than that great hot dog. :confused:

I played The Canyons and Highland Park Sunday:thmbup: Both were in lovely shape. The Canyons was busy and I'm glad I got there first , around 9ish, and understand why it gets really packed. I shot 7-8 down and was happy my putt was on and got a just inside the circle 2 on 561' #12 (I think its was 12.) Highland Park had a ton of natural OB and was the real challenge, 5 big.

I was outvoted on hot dog or Italian Dip but we end up at Pequods Pizza which was great!! I've never been a fan of deep dish but that was before that Italian sausage hit our table:D

Thanks to all, you guys rock!

Last edited:

Latest posts