• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Choice of Disc Marking Pen

mmmatt

Bogey Member
Lately I've been disappointed by the performance of Sharpies. Oftentimes, the name/e-mail/etc on the back of my discs will wear off, especially on the higher end plastics. Now I'm looking for a different marker. What does everyone use to mark the back of their discs?

If you have a surveyor supply store near you buy the markers they have there. Were I work we use "Sanford Liquid Tip" markers that mark just about anything and everything. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find those online anywhere. But there are other brands surveyors use which are effective.

The reason I suggest this is because surveyors have to mark up wood stakes and the markers take a lot of abuse. Also, the markings have to last a while in all kinds of weather. In other words, use whatever the surveyors use.

-Dave

There is a sharpie that is called "ultra permanent" To quote the manufacturer
"This pen is permanent on most surfaces, including glass. It will resist most chemical washes and steam cleaning up to 500 degrees F."
I've ben using them for years and never seen em wear off.

There is a sharpie that is called "ultra permanent"
Any clue where to buy them? A search of the Sharpie site and google for "ultra permanent" + sharpie came up empty.

they're called industrial strength sharpies.
I'd been using exclusively Industrial Sharpies and have definitely seen them fade, not disappear, but fade; I was underwhelmed.

I'm now giving the Power Mark a try.

ERic

Attachments

• IMG_8772.jpg
    IMG_8772.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 11
I've used a paint pen in the past. They don't fade but I guess eventually they could scratch off. I've had some paint on my discs for about 6 or 7 years.

Typically, though, I have just used a regular ol' Sharpie, but recommend trying the paint pen.

I actually like the fact that regular sharpies fade over time. They also clean off easily with acetone. This is great for trading discs away, since I can clean off my name and contact info and send it on looking fresh to a new owner. Nothing annoys me more than getting a disc in a trade that has huge marker all over the back.

Before tourneys, I make sure to re-sharpie any discs that are getting too worn/faded, but that's not too often.

In 11 years of play, I've only had one person ever contact me about a disc I've lost on the course. So I have no expectations of discs ever coming home. When I lose a disc, I just let it go and hope it will be found by someone who needs it more than I do. At least its easy for them to cleanup and resell and for someone else to buy and enjoy guilt free.

I'm sure most people on here are die hard about expecting plastic be returned, but I've long ago given up believing discs will come back to me. So now, I just try to wish them farewell and good luck to the finders, whomever they may be. I just try not to throw expensive/favorite plastic on high risk holes, and figure that if I do lose a disc, ohwell, 98% of all the disc golf rounds I've ever played are free, and I've found my share of discs over time that had no name/contact info and were impossible to return, so I figure we all break even over time. And it's still one of the cheapest/best sports out there, even with a few lost discs.

I've also learned that if I'm too attached to a disc and lose it, it messes up my mental game worse than anything else that can happen on a course. So I play a little safer around water, or if I go for it, I make sure I won't miss the disc. I've got a great mental game for leaving discs behind when I have to, and I think that's kept my head together for a lot of tourney rounds that otherwise might have fallen apart.

I use BiC's sharpie clone, the "mark it". I just started playing last Summer but the ink hasn't faded since then.

Latest posts